Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Bad Neighbors at Shows

this thread has 122 replies and has been viewed 12718 times

Old 01-23-2016, 02:16:26 PM
Subscriber

Default Bad Neighbors at Shows

Ever find a nice spot at a show and someone sets up next to you w/ some annoying engine, bell, trumpet exhaust, noise maker? We'll have to leave out the notorious "Maytag" because there will be too many post on them.
There was a guy once that had a nice lightplant/compressor set up w/ lights and a steam whistle. Well, he wouldn't stop blasting that dang thing all weekend. I wish he would of just ran a small steam engine w/ it or something else beside that skull crushing whistle. Oh wait a minute , that was me!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2016, 02:24:37 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Bad neighbors

What I despise worse than anything is when you are at a show, get there 2 days early haul 3 loads of stuff in and set up in a spot with someone on both sides of you then some clown shows up the last day of the show with one crappy ass engine and squeezes in between you and the neighbor. It has happened a couple of times to me. I rope off boundaries now and give myself plenty of space. I try to be hospitable but some folks just get my dander up.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:38:50 PM
Subscriber

Wel it is easy to fix because you do not realy need showgrounds enymore.

If you want to show something you can post it on Smokstak.

There are no noisy bells or ugly behavoure towards you......
Old 01-23-2016, 06:02:40 PM
Subscriber

I try to stay away from the chain saw carving..... I know everyone has there hobbies but jeez...... I have been set up once to a man who decided to run his loud generator all night.
Steve
Old 01-23-2016, 10:27:18 PM
Registered-II

They have the noise thing figured out at the Chillicothe, MO show.
If an exhibitor has the audacity to run an engine that makes any amount of noise they are told to shut it off and not come back the next year.

May not be much of a concern because for some reason that show is dying.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:17:09 PM

Default Re: Bad Neighbors at Shows

^ Yeah........that would pretty much explain why.......
Old 01-23-2016, 11:28:06 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Golden View Post
They have the noise thing figured out at the Chillicothe, MO show.
If an exhibitor has the audacity to run an engine that makes any amount of noise they are told to shut it off and not come back the next year.

May not be much of a concern because for some reason that show is dying.
I thought that the whole point of a show was to get together with fellow collectors and enjoy our toys, If someone can't stand the sound of a running engine, they don't really belong in the hobby.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:19:17 AM
Subscriber

I won't mention his name, but we have a guy at Freeport that always has to set up down by the sawmill and every year he bitches about the noise when I'm sharpening the blade if I get an extra hard tooth that makes the rotary file squeal like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Needless to say after hearing him bitch often enough, I got to the point where when I get a squealer I'll give it a few extra turns just to prolong it a while longer.

I can't move the sawmill..... if he doesn't like the noise he can move his candy ass somewhere else or shut the hell up about it.

Same guy always has to park his truck and trailer in front of his engines during the show (to unload one more he just brought in) and then leave it parked there blocking the drive so the people wagon can't get through.

I've heard he does the same thing at other shows where he sets up with his 'friends' who complain about him doing it because he's blocking the view of their engines when people want to look at them. They try to set up as a group without him but he keeps following them where ever they go and does the same shit everywhere he goes.

They call him my buddy cause he always wants to be by the sawmill and I call him their buddy cause he always follows them around, but the bottom line is NOBODY likes him, we just kind of tolerate him. But he is getting on a lot of peoples Last Nerve for a lot of different reasons.

If I can get a few of my engines dug out I may have to set them up by the sawmill just to displace him to somewhere else.
Or see if I can someone else to 'man up' and TAKE his spot from him.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:21:05 AM
One Millionth Post

Kinda like going to a steam show and complaining about the smoke. Then again some folks just enjoy being a PITA, it makes their day!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:45:13 AM
Registered-I

I'm not trying to pick a fight here but I feel compelled to speak up about a comment posted recently....
"some clown shows up the last day of the show with one crappy ass engine..."
Other than my posts here, probably none of you have ever heard of me. I am a complete nobody in the antique engine hobby. I'm also a complete nobody in the antique tractor hobby and a not quite complete nobody in the antique motorcycle hobby. I have one "crappy ass engine" that runs (sometimes) and another that I hope to have running this year. I've never taken either of my 2 engines to a show, nor my Gibson tractor, but I've shown my '44 Harley-Davidson many times. And yes, there are jerks at every show. Some of them are born jerks and will never change. But some of those "clown" types are clueless newbies who mean well but need some gentle guidance to get moving in the right direction in the hobby. Whoever you are, unless you were born rich or inherited a huge collection, you probably started off with one "crappy ass engine" and built your collection from there.
From what I've seen going to various shows, collectors of antique engines, tractors, motorcycles and classic firearms tend to be older males. I'm 53 and plan to live forever but I guarantee that all of us will be dead some day.
If this hobby is to survive we MUST bring new blood into the fold. Not everyone has 3 loads of stuff and 2 extra days to haul it all in. I got my first engine when I was 50. The last day of the show might be the only day that poor clown has off from his crappy ass job to show his one crappy ass engine which is his pride and joy. Let's show some respect and understanding to each other (it goes in both directions) and maybe make some new friends and keep the hobby going.
Best regards to all.
Kevin Bartlett in Wilmington, NC
Old 01-24-2016, 08:14:29 AM
Registered-III

Mr. Bartlett, North Carolina is a long way from Rollag,MN but if you were to show up at our show with one crappy ass engine on the last day of the show I would find a place for you to show your engine, show you where the gas and oil are located, Help you find the bathrooms, the food vendors or whatever else you needed to make you visit enjoyable. Jeff W
Old 01-24-2016, 08:52:12 AM
Registered-III

I can tell you if you showed up at Denmark Ia show we wouldn't care if you had 1 crappy engine or 20 we would find a spot for you, I don't have any high dollar engines and probably never will but I enjoy the hobby and the great people that go along with it your going to have a bad egg once in awhile but that one bad egg can do a lot of damage to a show if they aren't treated with the same respect as the guy with the high dollar engines.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:31:09 AM
Subscriber

I wonder if the noise thing is like at a car show. There will be dozens or hundreds of vehicles with loud engines. Everyone likes to hear the sound of a powerful engine. But if you get a goofball who just keeps his foot in it all day for no good reason, that can be very annoying.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:45:03 AM
Subscriber

Kevin. I too have sometimes felt pushed away by the old rich people that have everything and don't wanna deal with you and your common Fairbanks morse.

Just ignore it, or go find a new neibor at the show, there are plenty of nice people. After a while people will be expecting your return.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:05:04 AM
Registered-III

At out local show, I personally have never had an issue, I'm just always excited to be there and see what our club members bring out to the show. Even from the start, when when we first joined the club and showed, I have always felt welcomed, especially when all I had was a couple of "crappy" common engines. A couple of years ago, we had someone who showed up from out of state, unannounced, made a big ruckus at the main gate, pulled up, started his engines on his trailer, and never even talked with any of us. He was there to sell them (no luck though, he wanted 2 or 3 times their value) and did not even set up a rope or anything to meet EDGE-TA show rules. For most of us, it was more entertaining than anything to watch him. Last year at a show, my wife and I had a great deal of entertainment watching the fiasco setting up across from us. I was sure they would kill someone and when we offered to help, they refused the assistance. In the end, they spent the whole weekend yelling at each other, arguing over the set-up, and making a ruckus... we could have called them bad neighbors, but we chose to find the entertainment in what they did.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:13:35 AM
Subscriber

First of all, I didn't want to start this thread complaining about engines running, that's what the shows are for.
What is the definition of a "crappy ass engine"? I don't believe there ever was one (except Ford and we'll leave them out of this) . I believe you can run it in a "crappy ass" way though. I was once set up next to this family that ran mid 70's Briggs and Statton tiller engines (4) at a show. Which is fine, no problems. But when they ran 3 tanks of gas through them at about 3600 rpm the whole day...... Well, it kind of gets to ya.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:26:25 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldironcollector View Post
What I despise worse than anything is when you are at a show, get there 2 days early haul 3 loads of stuff in and set up in a spot with someone on both sides of you then some clown shows up the last day of the show with one crappy ass engine and squeezes in between you and the neighbor. It has happened a couple of times to me. I rope off boundaries now and give myself plenty of space. I try to be hospitable but some folks just get my dander up.
"Crappy Ass Engine"? Werent they made in Pistberg?
Could be one of mine. However, seriously, if an exhibitor brings and runs one, and only that he could afford, "not so cool" engine Id be glad to have him. Even if its a Maytag.
Some local shows are looking more like flea markets then engine shows. Not that I dont enjoy the flea market part but I wish a few more collectors put ten minutes of effort to actually run some of their stuff.

Last edited by John Drabik; 01-24-2016 at 10:27:15 AM. Reason: Sorta rude
Old 01-24-2016, 12:06:19 PM
Registered-III

Whenever my wife takes her maytag washer to a show, I make sure to bring the Shotgun... I'm sure it makes me the Bad Neighbor, but the kids always love it!

Old 01-24-2016, 12:24:48 PM
Subscriber

One mans crap is another's treasure.

(begin rant)

I got started collecting Wisconsin air-cooled engines. They are NOT quiet. I started showing bringing 6 - 10 of them & setting up a display showing the different families, etc. Some were older then some of the flywheel engines (late 1930's), but a few folks grumbled about them not belonging, or about the noise. I usually only ran one at a time, and at idle.

Now I take mostly hit & miss engines, but I take a few Wisconsin's every time too. I hope others will take an interest in these (and Lauson's, Briggs, Clinton's, etc.) as they were just as historically important as the bigger, heavier engines, and many are getting to be older than our hit & miss engines were back in the 1970's. And they are generally a lot cheaper & more portable, making them an easy entry option for young/new/poorer folks (like me).

Key is, be aware of what noise/smoke/smells you make, be considerate to each other & spectators, and have fun. Most of the rest will take care of itself.

(end of rant)
Old 01-24-2016, 12:37:13 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drabik View Post
Some local shows are looking more like flea markets then engine shows. Not that I dont enjoy the flea market part but I wish a few more collectors put ten minutes of effort to actually run some of their stuff.
Rollag does not have a flea market and that is one of the reasons why (not the main reason...that is a different story). But if they did it would be away from the display area. We also ask that you try to run your engines for at least 5 hours a day. I know that is hard to do with so much to see at Rollag but that is what an engine show is for isn't it?

I can't say that we've had any bad neighbors other than someone running a really dust creating hammer mill with a small, more modern tractor in the gas engine display area. A little discussion about the problem and the problem disappeared. They are still there with their engine display. Occasionally we have a grumpy tenant in our building. But it's all good.