Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Bad Neighbors at Shows

this thread has 122 replies and has been viewed 12715 times

Old 01-24-2016, 11:02:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,088 Times in 1,907 Posts
Default Re: Bad Neighbors at Shows

Well,I have put a thanks under a couple post on this thread.
I won't get out of line but I must say,not all of us can afford a Foo's or Waterloo Boy ye know? Some of us do the best we can. My engines are Briggs,Clinton,Maytag and Fairbanks. Just as important a part of history as the fancy rare stuff. Even more so in my humble opinion because they were common and used in more homes and farmsteads than the fancy stuff. 2 wheel tractors have never got the respect they deserve at most shows. But that is what the poorer farmers used.

This is a hobby. Some folks that fish spend a couple 100 grand on fast boats and new trucks,and some just have a Zebco 202 and a dream.
But they are both fishing and having fun.
Just because ye might have a crewcab deully powerchoke diesel with 35 foot goose neck trailer does not mean you need the entire 3 acres to display on. Leave some room for the little guy.
In my opinion you should not have to take your entire collection to every show anyhow. If you own 20 engines, bring 3 of them. If they can run sitting on the trailer,why tear your back out unloading them and be out of work for however long it takes to recover? DUH?

Alot of times when I was working I had to put in for time off before hand and most of the time I got it but sometimes I could only get 1 day off to go somewhere. Most folks are blessed being able to work and have to fit hobby around job. They don't have the option to be at the show grounds a week ahead of time to rope off the shady spot.

The garden tractor thing, put a muffler on it and drive it like ye have some sense.All will be well.
I have to be honest,I love to hear a good engine run. But most,if not all engines were sold with mufflers for a reason. Use them and don't give everyone around you a head ache from the noise.

And what some folks forget is carbon monoxide. Perhaps since I was around it alot on my job,I get sick from engine exhaust if around it alot. So that clues me in to think maby everyone running every engine all day long, aint healthy.

The vendors with loud music and speakers should be in a far corner. Nothing worse than some loud mouth that likes to hear himself talk blathering all day.
To be honest,I have to confess,some of my engines have not been run since restored and probably won't be. Restoring stuff is much more difficult for me than it once was when I was younger and more able. But with the gas the way it is,and such,running a engine prompts it to get messy,and leak and everything else,Ruining the appearance. And causing a repeat of all that work.
Just think of static displays being like looking at the engines at a dealer on the shelf.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2016, 02:15:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,257 Times in 4,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StationarySteam View Post
Maybe setting up at an engine show is kind of like driving down the interstate highway, you know everyone you need to pass is a menace on the road and everyone that passes you is a maniac on the road.
Stationary Steam,

I see no links from going to an show towards driving on an road or highway.
With driving on an highway you need to have an driverslicense and the education for driving on an road.
There is no edjuction in this traject with learn to load an steelwheeled tractor on an iron trailer.
And loading an tractor on an trailer is not coming everyday thru to people doing this hobby.

I compair loading and unloading tractors more with hanging on an big mountain with an small rope because i seen it many times went wrong.
Not only here but also on Smokstak in the past aswel.......
Old 01-25-2016, 09:54:55 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,233 Times in 549 Posts

You're right Chris. (If I totally understand what you are saying) Steel tractors are dangerous to load and unload. That's why we always winch ours up, and down, and have wood floored trailers. A lot of gas engine guys winch their engines onto the trailer also. I've made ramps for several of them. Remember, you and I are in the "Antique Gas Engine Discussion" now, and not all of the same rules apply as in the "Steel Wheels" forum. It's best that all of us be as safe as we possibly can...and not be a "Crappy Ass Neighbor".

I have to admit, back in days gone by at the Pawnee and Winfield show, several of us may have been bad neighbors. Though it had to do with activities after show hours.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 10:33:06 AM
Subscriber

This was me at the Sutton Fair , a great show well run by Birch and Linda great people great food except for the neighbors ! Just as the show wound down on Sunday afternoon a yellow jacket uninvited of course got behind my sunglasses. Felt like a red hot drill . Cheers Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sting.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	244661  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Unwin For This Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 10:48:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,632 Times in 1,151 Posts
Wink Re: Bad Neighbors at Shows

Between work schedules and sheer distance, i really dont display at shows anymore. Where i live shows are few and far between. The last 2 shows i displayed at (not including our hometown show) I felt pretty unwelcome at because i either didnt own a sideshaft, rumely or have a 100 engine collection. There is a lot of good people in this hobby but there is also a lot of hidden good ol boy snobs that have a hard time giving you the time of day because of what you dont have. I may be only 32 years old but dad and i have been doing this for almost 20 years together and have seen a lot of stuck up bullshit. People that personally know my dad and i know that were about the easiest people on the west coast to get along with, but for some reason not owning $20k +engines isn't good enough for some people. I'm saying this because there is THAT side of the bad neighbors at shows too. This is why i prefer sticking to the little town shows, everyone appreciates everybody and hospitality is a lot higher.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tanner Remillard For This Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 11:19:55 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,233 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Remillard View Post
I felt pretty unwelcome at because i either didnt own a sideshaft, rumely or have a 100 engine collection.
You left out John Deere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 11:31:50 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,195 Times in 898 Posts

Tanner, there is the other side of the coin also. Our family has a few rare and valuable engines we show at Rollag. I know of a few exhibitors that come to the show but won't come through our display or won't come to Rollag at all because of what our display is. I hope we have never made anyone feel unwelcome at Rollag. A show needs all types and styles of engines and personalities to be successful. If I have ever rubbed any of you wrong at Rollag, I apolgize. Again, if you show up at Rollag with a Maytag, Wisconsin, Callahan or anything in between I will help you feel welcome...to the best of my ability.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JSWithers For This Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 12:05:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,088 Times in 1,907 Posts

I am treated well by folks nowadays. When I first started I was snubbed by the older guys in the "clic" . I distinctly remember 1 day asking a older man about how he kept from scratching the bolts on the engine when he assembled it.He said, "that is for you to figure out". Later another fellow came along and told me "paint brush" and walked on by. Like it was some kind of trade secret.
But it got better. I have no complaints now as I go to the shows to enjoy myself,not please everyone else. BUT I DO NOT follow the example set when others ask me questions. I try my damnest to help folks when i can to learn and do better. I may not know much,but what knowledge I have is not going to be worth a dime when I am dead.

In the Model T world when I started in 95 everyone thought I was building 1 of those $#*$# hotrods, Until I took my TT to Denton in 2005 and drove it past some of the doubters.

The type attitude Tanner is talking about is the very reason I lost interest in Amateur radio back in the late 80's. I was a electronics nut at the time and enjoyed listening to short wave radio and folks all over the world. I wanted so bad to be a part of it. I passed my written for novice,had learned half my code and was going to a couple ham radio shows to see about getting me some of that Halicrafters equipment like I had saw in the books. Tube type, big knobs,what radio is really supposed to be in my opinion. I restore old tube farm radios and love the ease of repair and just the feel and sound of tubes.
But when I went looking around and talking to folks I got snubbed and quick. I wasn't interested in the latest fad, 2 meter with repeater stuff that was going around. Tiny Kenwood stuff that cost mega bucks.
I was flat out told by 1 old geezer that I was not worth the trouble to talk to.
So needless to say, I didn't go much further with it.

So if some of you are wondering,where is the hobby is going and how will it survive, it is my opinion we are all ambassadors to the hobby and should act like it.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 12:31:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,051 Times in 482 Posts

Last year at the f.l. Flywheelers show, I was told that I was a bad neighbor...
It was at the January show and we had set up in the flea market area and stayed in our 6x10 alum enclosed trailer. The weather was fair during the day, with a high temperature in the lower sixts's, with a lite breeze blowing all day. But once the sun went down, The Temperature dropped like a stone..
By The time we were ready to climb in to our makeshift bed that night it was 36° and still dropping . I woke up around 1am to find my cover theif had done her best to gather all that she could ... After a struggle I reclaimed a small Remnant Of my covers and tried to fall back to sleep on our "duel pressure" air mattress..
You know the kind where you fill it up, and two hours later it's flat as a pancake....

after laying there for about an hour ,not being able to fall asleep. I Grabbed a flashlight and started to search for the air pump to refill the mattress. "note".... they are a lot harder to blow up with someone laying on it... Upon completing my task ,I crawled back in to bed and looked up to see the condensation from our breath had formed into frost and tiny icicles on the roof of the trailer.
by 5 am , my girl friend had had enough of the bitter cold and started to bitch like only she can ..... Like nails on a chalk board and hammer mill combined... Our only source of heat was a electric heater. And being out in the field we had to run a Generator for power... so after being berated by my spouse for what seemed like an Eternity. I started the generator at 5:30 am to stop the nagging .
at 10 till six my Neighbor was pounding on the side of the trailer. Complaining about the noise from my generator waking him up... And he would tell any one that would listen that I had disturbed his slumber. And this would not stand... After his five minute bitch fest, I asked if he was thru...and told him I was very sorry for waking him up. Offerd to buy him a cup of coffee, and explained very politely that I would rather listen to him bitch for five minutes than have to listen to my girl bitch for the rest of the morning....
needless to say I didn't have to buy him a cup of coffee, as he stormed off in a huff... Lol.

so am I a bad Neighbor? Or just Some poor guy trying to finding the lesser of two evils...
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Bird For This Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 01:13:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,778 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswithers View Post
Our family has a few rare and valuable engines we show at Rollag.
A few ????????????
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Selmer For This Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 01:28:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,195 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblue66 View Post
So if some of you are wondering,where is the hobby is going and how will it survive, it is my opinion we are all ambassadors to the hobby and should act like it.
I'll give an AMEN to that.

Yes Don, a few.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSWithers For This Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 02:18:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,887 Times in 2,462 Posts

Well this has been a interesting thread, like Farmer John posted, most of mine are the crappy ass version, LOL,I have been to a lot of shows with Mom, and Dad until about 1985-87, then a daughter that had major health issues and trying to make a living etc. put a stop to that. I also got into the fishing thing, and, fish and ski boat deal to! I think I could have stood on the bank and tossed $100.00 bills in, and, watched them float away would have been more relaxing!! And that got to be uncomfortable and expensive, after driving sometimes for 50 hr in a concrete truck and put up with idiots on the highway, the last thing I wanted to put up with is a idiot on the water too!! Not, to mention one day getting pulled over by DOT 3 times, and, on the way home for a license plate light, get on the water and start catching crappie big time , then have a game warden , then a water patrol 5 mins later, while a guy water skis between the bank and boat, and, water patrol just looks at him, give me a hassle, I was done with that scene!! I hope I don't offend anyone with some of my junk running all day at shows, if I do SORRY. So far, on here and at shows, I have met some of the nicest people I have ever run across. I sit by myself a lot, never really got into socializing that much, and, a different person when I type, and, just different too. LOL Like someone else posted we are here to have fun, the noise smoke, to a extent, is part of the show. I have had a couple times, that listening to a concrete mixer rattle with rocks in it got to me! But listen to it for 30yrs. and you might know the reason it did!! I never thought I would be one on a electric scooter, riding all over the show grounds too, after some of the 20 mile pheasant and deer hunting hikes we used to do, but the lawnmowers running wide open with no exhaust will get anyone. One thing we all have to remember in this day and age , everybody is offended, about something everybody is doing, I hope, it doesn't start at shows to, or, it would be the end of them. We have to teach and show the kids ,or, our future is doomed!! Thanks for letting me ramble and hope no one gets offended.......
Old 01-25-2016, 04:37:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,596 Times in 410 Posts

I hope no one has thought of me as a bad neighbor at a show.

Over the years I've had several bad neighbors but I rarely say anything to them. I just cope with it and make a mental note to avoid the same situation the next year.

Some of the bad neighbors that I've had:

1. Guy with a radial tank engine that was so loud you couldn't talk to anyone when he ran it. Luckily he didn't run it for long periods of time.

2. Displayed too close to the steam traction engines a few times which causes multiple problems. I've got holes in my shade canopy from hot embers landing on it. Plus if the wind is blowing the wrong direction you can be smoked out. Then a few years ago I was near an engine some young guys were firing and they couldn't keep the pressure relief from popping off way too often. I don't set up near steam engines any more.

3.Like most people I've also had my share to times to be set up next to an engine with too much exhaust smoke drifting through the area you're trying to sit in. Plus the obnoxiously loud exhaust which isn't fun to listen to non-stop.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:16:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,601 Times in 4,252 Posts

I have a few NOISY, smelly smokers in my collection. First is a 2 stroke semi Diesel - A rare charter-Mietz horizontal. it is LOUD, smokes when loaded, and stinks of diesel when idling. it makes the most beautiful smoke rings from its 2" exhaust, and covers anyone within 10 feet with nice black 50 Wt oil droplets! Look great against a nice white pressed shirt!

All kidding aside, I try to set up down wind of neighbors. the engine is not run all day, I uaually only run for 20 minutes to 1/2 hour at a clip, with run times posted. same goes for the chain saws I displat - a model 7-H mall with 3 foot bar, and a mercury - keikhoffer 12 HP with a 42 inch bar. These along with my I-R 3R-36 radial air compressor and jackhammer, along with a pneumatic saw, make for a lot or onlookers, when the equipment is fired up. The trick is to keep people interested, without driving them off. each engine has a unique sound, which draws a crowd.

I keep it friendly, telling people who set up near by what I am going to run, and when. Most are accommodating, and even like to watch themselves.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:32:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,252 Times in 646 Posts

I'm another of those people that only has one little engine to play with, circumstances of money and time have kept me from collecting more or having a place to keep them. Fortunately my boss is nice enough that he lets me store it under the staircase near my office. Its short enough to squeeze in there where basically nothing else fits, and thus be quite well protected but easy enough to slide out and tinker some.

The only issue I've ever had at shows related to mechanical problems and an engineering committee trying to solve them when I already knew my engine well enough to know what was the matter and how to put it right. It kind of left a bad taste though, and it came home in pieces that year. One of my first few times taking my engine to a show too, at only 14 years old. Fortunately the engine was repaired fairly quickly, and always ran well for friends and family when I wanted to show someone.

I didn't take it to the shows again till only a year or two ago, a nearly 14 year hiatus. And yes, I was one of those guys who has just one little and rather common engine- a Nelson Brothers, that brings it in for the day on the last weekend of a show. But I don't agree with the people who see fit to squeeze in there next to everyone else. Its much more comfortable to find a gap where someone else went home, or an empty spot at the end of a row. That way everyone has plenty of room to play with their engines and let people see them, instead of being all crowded together to where you can't start one without bumping another.

Its kind of sad to see how many shows have been reduced to only a couple of people because of age and dramatics taking away the older members and preventing new ones from becoming established. But I still have hope, as old as these engines are they certainly run better than I will at that age. And there are some younger people around to keep the wheels turning.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:53:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,441 Times in 1,635 Posts

The worst "neighbor" I ever had at a local festival/show was a large military helicopter. They brought it in from Ft. Knox (about 20 miles away). They set the engine display up to the rear of the chopper. About 3:00 in the afternoon they had to fly it out and when they fired it up it didn't seem to be an issue. Its when they got it about 100 ft off the ground and started to move that all heck broke loose. It blew all our canopies down, breaking most, smashed one into an exhibitor's camper breaking the windows out of the side of it and putting a large gouge in it, blew dust in our eyes and wreaked havoc. It was just a case of everyone not thinking I suppose. I'm proud of our personnel flying it and the great work they've done and continue to do. But BOY does that thing make some wind!
Old 01-26-2016, 10:07:55 AM
Subscriber

If smoke and noise offends my wife is always looking for somebody to go with her to craft shows,, just a suggestion

We have been thanked many times at shows for the fact we stay with our display and try to always have a good portion of our display running. I enjoy my engines, running them AND my nobody status in the engine hobby.

I tried the being a "somebody" in another hobby, didnt like it or the company and wont make that mistake again. Engine guys are the best by the way,, by a far piece the best.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:31:18 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,107 Times in 458 Posts

My family was the "bad neighbors" at a show years ago. I think it was 1998 or 1997 in Albert city Iowa. First a little background on my grandfather. He was a lot of fun if you knew him. He could dish it out and if you didn't throw it back at him or he would walk all over you!! We got to the show on Friday right after they had just got 5+ inches of rain. The grounds were a swamp and there was stuck campers and trucks everywhere. The only spot open on the high ground was where a couple tables and a bonfire ring were sitting. We pulled up the camper, moved the tables and ring out of the way and parked. I can still remember a lady running up and telling my grandfather "you can't park here". He just looked at her and said "watch me"!! That was that!! As we were walking through the low ground to get to the show across the road, I will never forget hearing my grandpa tell that story to every person stuck in the mud down there. The last thing I could here him say to them was, "and I says watch me!!"
Old 01-26-2016, 10:38:36 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Bad neighbors

if it bouthers you that much otto then grow a set of nuts and tell him about the problem
Old 01-26-2016, 10:39:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,778 Times in 978 Posts

How about the neighbors that don't bring engines to run but sell stuff next to you and complain that "you run your engines and make too much noise" After all it is an "Engine Show"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Don Selmer For This Post: