Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Bad Neighbors at Shows

this thread has 122 replies and has been viewed 12702 times

Old 01-26-2016, 10:56:59 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Bad Neighbors at Shows

I cant believe all the complaining here, these neighbors everyone is complaining about is for a week or weekend! Try driving home and living next door to crappy neighbor for 10 years!! LOL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredsSleds For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2016, 11:19:43 AM
Registered-III

^^ Freds right! I remember my dad had a big block chevy on a test stand. He would roll it outside on calm summer evenings and point the headers toward passing cars or neighbors. He also had a dual air horn he would blast at people driving by gawking. I would say he was a good neighbor but sometimes he really enjoyed being an a$$hole.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmusta For This Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 05:58:10 PM
Registered

Hi

I can't believe the ridiculous posts I've read in this thread. This is precisely the reason I don't take my engines to shows in the uk. The scene is to cliche and unforgivably small minded sometimes. People have such low tolerance for others, I just can't understand why? I see enough of this at work and I don't want it to drift into my free time.

I love old iron and machinery and not the dross that comes with it.

Thanks

JV.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jvas For This Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 08:55:30 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,194 Times in 897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvas View Post
I love old iron and machinery and not the dross that comes with it.
I find it very sad that you are unable to participate and enjoy the fellowship of the hobby. This is one of the best hobbies in the world with a lot of great people.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JSWithers For This Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 12:46:10 AM
Subscriber

Thanks JS Withers.
You are much to polite. I`m glad I deleted my reply before I lowered this forum`s good taste and Harry`s reputation.

By the way,
Merriam Websters definition of DROSS: "something that is base, trivial, or inferior"

If I ever had the time and place for an engine show I`d invite this tea sipping twit to display his engines for ALL iron lovers to enjoy.

But he`d probably just rather stay home and kick his dog for peeing on the lawn.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:13:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,037 Times in 3,804 Posts
Default Re: Bad neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickman View Post
if it bouthers you that much otto then grow a set of nuts and tell him about the problem
If they grow any bigger I'll be tripping over them....

I'll most likely just continue to tolerate the guy as long as he does his whining about the sawmill from a distance.

He has enough 'enemies' for various reasons that someone else will deal with him long before he pisses me off enough to snap at him.

In the mean time I've helped him load and unload his trailer several times just to get it done quicker so he can get it out of the way to help avoid pissing off more people more than he already does.

Which now that I think of it..... I've probably been 'enabling' him by helping him which just makes him want to keep staking out the same location year after year.

At least it's only 3 days a year since he never shows up for anything else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 07:16:48 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,194 Times in 897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drabik View Post
Thanks JS Withers.
You are much to polite.

By the way,
Merriam Websters definition of DROSS: "something that is base, trivial, or inferior"
I've been a part of the dross for over 50 years. I have met a lot of people in that time. Some became the giants of the hobby, some have not. I don't always remember everyone, even ones I have met over and over but I enjoy them all. I think some take this way too seriously. What is the point if we can't experience and enjoy all of the hobby? I love old engines, tractors, steam engines, trains, horses, etc. All of it. But mostly it's the people. I believe we have used this thread to blow off a little steam. Kinda like a therapy as it seems we suffer from a common malady and this is the common solution.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JSWithers For This Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 07:20:26 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 2,969 Times in 654 Posts

Mark 12;31
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gene Fisher For This Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 12:48:00 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,980 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Fisher View Post
Mark 12;31
(Verse 31 refers to 30, so I included it)

30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these."
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kevin O. Pulver For This Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 02:56:38 PM
Registered

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drabik View Post
Thanks JS Withers.
You are much to polite. I`m glad I deleted my reply before I lowered this forum`s good taste and Harry`s reputation.

By the way,

If I ever had the time and place for an engine show I`d invite this tea sipping twit to display his engines for ALL iron lovers to enjoy.

But he`d probably just rather stay home and kick his dog for peeing on the lawn.

Luckily I don't own a dog, else I would be out in garage right now!

I think I proved my point. You don't know me, but I am apparently a twit, and because I am a Brit...obviously a tea drinker. Of which I am neither.

I think everyone missed my what I was trying to, but cut my throat instead. The point of this thread is that you are being pretty nasty and inconsiderate about others in the hobby by ranting about them on this forum. I find this frustrating and quite frankly a little embarrassing for this hobby. I don't condone this behaviour and nor do I put up with this. I do occasionally rally, but wouldn't want to set up next to someone who, like some of you, doesn't want me there. I prefer peace and harmony not hate!

Thanks

Jeremy from Milton Keynes
The Following User Says Thank You to jvas For This Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 03:33:49 PM

Thanked 20,704 Times in 5,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWithers View Post
if you show up at Rollag with a Maytag, Wisconsin, Callahan or anything in between I will help you feel welcome...to the best of my ability.
Having met some of the Withers family at Crosby and Rollag I can't imagine them making anyone feeling unwelcome.......
Good people.......
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 07:51:42 PM
Subscriber

Thumbs up Re: Bad Neighbors at Shows

Well that escalated quickly! First I need to classify the the term "crappy engine" may have been misunderstood over my frustration of the situation. I certainly don't feel that my stuff is better than anyone else's stuff. As a matter of fact in my opinion all I own are crappy engines. My point is that the intrusive behavior of someone who intentionally squeezes into an area that's clearly already occupied by someone else's display area without consideration or asking if it's ok. When I go to a show and bring stuff to show I fully intend on bringing a load to hopefully please the spectators. After all that's what I thought it was all about is encouraging the public to get interested in the hobby. Personally I enjoy small local shows where the general public comes out to be entertained and educated about the way things used to be. My whole point was to be that some folks purposely try to get under others skins. Maybe I am too thin skinned and rethink my show attendance attitude. As I get older my patience has weened a bit. I like all engines and certainly welcome anyone who has anything old to display around me, just extend a little common courtesy. I feel any further explanation should be taken over to the Blow Smoke section of the forum.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldironcollector For This Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 08:13:30 PM
Subscriber

This thread isnt about crappy assed engine definitions. Its about rude behavior at particularly at shows.
I will put up with some rudeness but wont be crapped upon and still smile like I have no respect for myself.

And the Brit who doesnt sip is still welcome to my show if I ever can get one put together.

Thats about the last post in this thread for me. The rest belongs in the flame forum as Old Iron Collector correctly pointed out.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:27:16 PM
Email NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldironcollector View Post
I feel any further explanation should be taken over to the Blow Smoke section of the forum.
Veiled apologies are just as nice here as anywhere else.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:28:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,074 Times in 1,897 Posts

"Blow Smoke section of the forum."

Oh,so now us "non contributors" don't matter in this thread eh?

is that not the very attitude we are discussing here in the first place???

I don't have a Mogul and a big pay check so I can afford to contribute so I don't count

Edit, i am sorry if I came across so negative, and I could delete these words to keep myself from looking as bad but dang it,sometimes things just rub me the wrong way and I did edit what I typed the first time 3 different ways. What I typed first would really offend someone.

Last edited by uglyblue66; 01-28-2016 at 11:18:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:43:16 PM
Registered-I

Oldironcollector,
Yes, this thread has escalated quickly and I feel that I am somewhat responsible for the escalation since I am the one who first responded to your term "crappy ass engine." Perhaps I misunderstood the point you were trying to make and please understand that I was not trying to diminish you personally but rather trying to make a point that bad behavior in general is detrimental to this or any hobby. As I stated in my previous post, I am a nobody in several areas of interest and I've seen jerks in each of them. I will honestly say that the engine/tractor hobby seems to have fewer jerks than some of my other areas of interest, though some of the posts here have been rather harsh. If nothing else, your term "crappy ass" has been adopted as a badge of honor amongst some of the posters. The Denton show is the farthest I've gone. Maybe we'll meet one day.
Best regards,
Kevin Bartlett in Wilmington, NC
Proud owner of several "crappy ass" old items
The Following User Says Thank You to bartlett0815 For This Post:
Old 01-28-2016, 10:16:32 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblue66 View Post
"Blow Smoke section of the forum."

Oh,so now us "non contributors" don't matter in this thread eh?

is that not the very attitude we are discussing here in the first place???

I don't have a Mogul and a big pay check so I can afford to contribute so I don't count
I was simply stating that the thread seemed to have been derailed by my original post. This area of the forum is typically reserved for questions and answers and technical discussion. Usually politics and general rants are on the blow smoke and exhaust gas section of the forum. In other words I did not want or intend to clog up the forum with my general rant. Not hiding or disguising anything by ranting in the other section of the forum, it's just a more appropriate location to do so. I have never mentioned anything about monetary value or contribution to the forum. Although I have been a monetary contributor to this site which is a bargain in my opinion for the services Harry provides on this site for the hobby.

---------- Post added at 09:16:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06:00 PM ----------

Thanks for the input Kevin, I guess my description has gained world wide attention! Sometime I have difficulty in expressing my true feelings in words. Would love to meet at a show sometime and I promise to be hospitable !!! By chance do you ever get over to the Arden show at Asheville?

Denny

Last edited by oldironcollector; 01-29-2016 at 10:36:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:42:40 PM
Email NOT Working

Red face Re: Bad Neighbors at Shows

Denny, I've never been to any shows outside of the few local ones in Nebraska. But I would love to see them all, and meet all you guys. I like all the engines- big, small, painted, rusty "common", "rare", you name it.

I have a small collection of relatively common engines most of which were stuck and broken when I got them. I enjoy the hunt and the restoration process.

In the interest of full disclosure I will confess is that at a show about 10 years ago I was pretty stern with my neighbors teenage nephews when they were making a lot of noise about 3 o'clock in the morning running through the show/campground. It wasn't his fault of course, but he was very apologetic and he has reminded me and laughed about it every year since!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:18:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,074 Times in 1,897 Posts

Edit, i am sorry if I came across so negative, and I could delete these words to keep myself from looking as bad but dang it,sometimes things just rub me the wrong way and I did edit what I typed the first time 3 different ways. What I typed first would really offend someone.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:52:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,037 Times in 3,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWithers View Post
Moderator, please remove all my posts from this thread. Thank you. Jeff Withers
Or maybe better yet.....

Moderator(s), please remove the entire thread....

We've probably all said things we wished we hadn't or maybe wished we had worded differently and had to explain with additional posts. (Myself Included)

The thread has probably run its coarse by now and we've all vented a little.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post: