Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Engine Fever-How many engines is enough?

this thread has 53 replies and has been viewed 12690 times

Old 10-23-2004, 10:17:33 AM
Ron Weber

Default Engine Fever-How many engines is enough?

Hey all, I need advise. Three generations, my dad, my son, and myself collect engines, steam, and tractors. My 8yr old son anounced this week that he wants us to have 100 engines. We currently have 30 engines, 20 tractors, and if we really want to count them a dozen letter style briggs and a few maytags. But I really think my son has caught the dreaded disease of ENGINE FEVER. He looks through all the magazines, local classifieds, etc in search of more engines. He sleeps with Wendels American Gas engines encylopedia under his pillow. He takes GEM magazines to school to show everyone. He carries pictures of his equipment in his pockets. And, he wants Santa Claus to bring him his own little oil pull (with a front end loader on it to lift engines). I don't know, but is there a cure for ENGINE FEVER?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2004, 10:36:17 AM
Tanner Remillard

Default Re: Engine Fever-How many engines is enough?

This is my opinion on having that many engines. There are several guys I know that have over 30 engines, some over 100. The thing with them is, that they have so much stuff that they cant enjoy it all. They restore an engine, stuff it in the back corner of there shop and go onto the next one. There is one guy I know that has some engines that he has had sitting in the same spot for 10 years and has never touched or moved them. Now what is the point of having that many if you never even run them?? I dont get it.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:45:49 AM
ronm

In a few years, your son will discover "THE OPPOSITE SEX". This will distract him for a number of years, but after "girl fever" runs its course, he will probably re-discover old iron fever...you old-timers will have to keep the collection safe until this happens...funny, but that's how it usually works... Ron in CO...
Old 10-23-2004, 11:03:49 AM
Tanner Remillard

Ron,

I'm 21 and that did'nt happen to me. Sure I have a girlfriend, but instead of ingnoring old iron, I got her hands dirty and took her to the shows! Lets just say, I let her know what she was getting into from the start.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:22:05 PM
William Hoitt

Ron that is the way to go, I started to late with my wife and I catch heck every once in awhile,100 is not to many, with regards to not running them I get a thrill out of owning them, same thrill as running them
Old 10-23-2004, 12:50:57 PM
Rob Charles

I have around 50 from 1hp to 34 hp.About all I do with them is move them around to stuff them closer together for more space which winds up putting more stuff in that open space.eventially the barn will be completely solid.Definetely not the way to go but I have a hard time letting go of alot of them.1 guy can probably only take care of 10 to 15 reasonably.Beyond that it's insanity.I know, I am there. Rob
Old 10-23-2004, 01:16:28 PM
Mac Leod

Is it something you realy want to cure...He is interested in a great hobby and it is good he shows such an interest. Perhaps 100 is too many, maybe get him realy interested in 1 or 2 brands that he would "collect him self". I too hope to have 100+ engines...and a few steam traction engines, along with 600 acres of good farmable (?!?) land. Let him know he has the rest of his life to collect and he should be no great hurry.

Thoughts from a young guy

Mac Leod
Old 10-23-2004, 03:44:05 PM
alan in ky

ive saw several friends die who had oodles of junk and it didnt do them any good in the end.ive only got three engines and dont want to many more do to space and not being able to do anything with them. right now im trying to get one of my best friends to let me get his 26 chevrolet truck running again its been in the barn for 20 yrs and needs to be on the road again hauling engines to the shows he will never get it going again hes just to busy as for the girls hes better off with engines lol hope my wife dont see this lol alan
Old 10-23-2004, 03:50:17 PM
listerdiesel

There are many phases of enginemania, the acquisitive phase being the one that does most damage to the wallet and to relationships.

If you have the space and the cash, then the sky's the limit, but long-term it is better to restrict the purchasing to those engines that are going to give lasting pleasure of ownership, rather than just satisfying the urge to own lots of old iron.

We had 30 or so assorted Listers and Petters, but now we are concentrating on our 11hp horizontal Ruston & Hornsby diesel, plus a few engines like the Spanish "Diter" 15hp vertical, and the Cub flat-twin diesels, both of which are fairly unusual and are a pleasure to play with, when I get the time!

Peter
Old 10-23-2004, 06:01:53 PM
roger kirschenman

Engine fever lead's to building fever.

Old 10-23-2004, 06:16:20 PM
Mike S

I started collecting when I was 15. I am now 42 and still collecting, this was one of the smartest things that I have done. Engines that I give $400 for back in the 80's are now worth thousands. My advice is to buy bargins and what you can afford. Money @1.5% is very boring.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:21:55 PM
Kenny Towne

I can relate to acquisition fever...I'm just about through that phase and just about out of money!!! Thanks to the constant insults (reminders) from my mentor about what I was bringing home, I have settled into a particular type which keeps me from buying everything in sight. No complaints though, I have plenty of fodder if I need to liquidate something to buy something else. And I learned a a bunch about being very careful to inspect before settling on a price...that one lead to some real post-purchase escapades! Teach the little guy how have a discerning eye for assessment and be able to bargain with the best and he'll be fine...one engine or a hundred!
Old 10-23-2004, 09:30:06 PM
Bill Decker

Nice building Roger. I could use something like that. Don't know how big it is, but I think my 13 engines and 4 tractors would fill it up or at least put a nice dent in it
Old 10-23-2004, 09:34:35 PM
Bill Decker

Geee Rob, only 50? I thought you would have more then that. So, what do you have that is 34hp? Inquiring minds would like to know
Old 10-23-2004, 09:43:45 PM
skip landis

i was looking above at the edgar miller sale results. i had a 3 horse new holland, sold it for $3000.00, made a profit. look what it would bring today. i'm counting on these engines being a good part of my retirement. shoulda kept everything------ musings of an old geezer
Old 10-23-2004, 10:25:59 PM
Doug Waggonner

I seems to me that the HUNT for another engine is as fun as getting it running. I've been collecting since I was 15 I'm now 25. I average about 5 engines a year. I'm not picky, I like em' all! There are only a few engines I will never part with, The ones I bought for my dad when he was alive. The rest I'll trade for other engines or sell. Doug
Old 10-23-2004, 10:38:44 PM
BobRR

Roger THATS NOT BIG ENOUGH!! BobRR
Old 10-24-2004, 06:26:01 PM
Harvey Teal

One is enough. Especially when engines I havent seen for 20 years are taking up valuable space in the sheds. I'll never make a profit on them because I paid the going price for them, and freight, taxes and upkeep on the buildings have to be considered. It's cheaper and more enjoyable to help you guys fix your engines, and to watch you run them.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:46:39 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,148 Times in 767 Posts
Red face Re: Engine Fever-How many engines is enough?

Not to be rude but those who are married how many of youre wifes have a book collection that keeps on growing month after month? and you ask youre wife why all the books and she replies with "You can never have too many books" Thats what my mom tells me every time she comes home with at least two full boxes of books. She asks me why I keep getting old engines that are to her just big pieces of cast iron and aluminum I simply reply with "I can Never have too many engines" Her book collection grows and my engine collection grows with every opportunity to get a new toy. So far I have 6 different briggs a Kohler and a Crane water pump
Old 11-28-2004, 12:26:46 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRR
Roger THATS NOT BIG ENOUGH!! BobRR
I know Bob, 2 years ago the 30ft. X 40ft. was to big HA HA. Next year the other 1/2s pick up gos out side, you think