Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Engine Fever-How many engines is enough?

this thread has 53 replies and has been viewed 12657 times

Old 07-31-2005, 05:17:00 PM
Registered

Default Re: Engine Fever-How many engines is enough?

What you have to remember is than not everyone has room for a tractor but most people can find room for an engine. I met a college kid that lived in a 2nd story apartment (stairs only) who had a 1 3/4 air-cooled associated that he kept in his apartment. He rolls it out on to his little veranda and works on it and runs it. He said he was a typical city kid that had no idea what a hit miss engine was until he went to his first show during his freshman year just to kill some time and came away from that show with a "fix-er-upper" and a couple of phone #'s for help. 6 mos. later it was finished and he's now on his last year of college and has taken the engine to at least 3 shows each year. He has several of his friends interested in the hobby now also including his girlfriend and her father.

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2005, 09:09:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,171 Posts

How many engines, well that is a dfifficut question. First it depends on what your intention is for collecting, Basicly there are 3 reasons for collecting, speculation on your money, the enjoyment of restoring something or the enjoyment of showing a piece of antiquity. If you are collecting for speculation, there is no set number. If you are collecting to enjoy the restoration effort, only one is required for a period of time. If you are showing, you need to limit yourself to what you can bring to show at one time. I just, today, finished a year project of refurbishing a good 4' x 8' trailer and re-flooring it with good pine and applying about 10 coats of poly U. I have installed 7 of my restored Briggs on it. I can now, take that trailer to a show behind my S-10 Blazer. I have a 8 x 16 trailer with my flywheel engines that I can take when I have time off enough to get them wyped down and cleaned up enough to be presentable, but need larger truck to get them there. If I am buying engines for speculation, I must have proper storeage facilities to keep them in, out of the weather, so they don't deteroriate . Hope this provides an answer to what to collect, and what to have fun with and what to go show.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:25:02 AM
Registered

I guess it goes how badly you like them. My friend has a few hunded of them. I told him he needs to have a museum. Many of them are rare. He even has the oldest, in very nice condition, a Friend that is complete.

Neil
Old 06-05-2007, 10:06:05 AM
Edwin

Hello guys i think what you do with the engine or engines is what counts,theres people out there that have alot of stuff that they will never fix.I have 4 Oil pulls ,one restored one in the process and 2 i havent even had a chance to even look at since i bought, why?NO ROOM.I guess the answer to the thread is what ever makes you happy if you need 100 engines to be happy then buy them,im happy to have small hand full.I dont have the room thats what limits me,and i have to move it all in the shop for winter every year,big pain.Even bigger pain when you have less room in the shop.
thanks
Ed
Old 06-05-2007, 11:50:04 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,628 Times in 722 Posts

Just out of interest, does anyone know what or where the largest collection of engines is? I would have an idea who the biggest tractor or steam collectors are, but engines are a different matter.

David
Old 06-05-2007, 06:33:58 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,156 Times in 428 Posts

theirs an engine guy near me that has almost 200 hit and miss engines that run!! He doesnt run them much, he has 2 that he runs and all the others are on shelfes sitting and restored and he wont run them or sell them but they do look good.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:18:36 PM
Registered

Sounds like us in the UK are in good company. Between my brother in law & myself we have :-
1, 1964 bonneted Atkinson pickfords heavy haulage ballast tractor,
2, 1957 ex RAF coles crane on a mk1 AEC militant chassis,
3, 1957 Paxman V12YHA diesel trailer mounted,
4, 1955 mobile ghost house fairground attraction,
5, 1954 juvanile ski jump fairground ride
6, 1947 Scammell MU20 ex ICI chemicals
7, 1945/6 juvanile buzz bomb fairground ride
8, 1931 Fowler showmans engine. (converted from road roller)
All these go out at various times of the year around the steam shows over here & luckily enough, our better halves also enjoy them with us.
Ahhh, happy days!!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:39:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,553 Posts

However many you can keep, INSIDE!!
The Following User Says Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 02-22-2009, 07:35:54 PM
Defective Email Address

Thanked 1,008 Times in 417 Posts

This thread is about old enough to collect Social Security!!! I don't have much to add, but a guy I bought an engine from last year told me the last time he had a good count he was around 650 engines, and he was guessing it may be around 900 now!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:16:25 AM
Registered

It is a sickness for sure. I promised the wife that the last one was it but then something happens. You hear a story about an engine then you wonder what the design is like and for me and most important what does it sound like. As a kid I remember being down by the railroad tracks and hearing the railroad workers car coming with a fast put,put,put. A few years ago I started reading all the articles about them. Guess what I would like to have next?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:26:25 PM
ihredo4

Someone said this to me once and the more I think about it the more I think its true..."One is to many and a hundred is not enough."
Old 02-24-2009, 05:10:17 PM
Registered

I usally buy enough to fill My grandfathers and Fathers garage then i settle down for a while,I don't want it looking like a junk yard, so everything is inside or under roof. I usally have to many Iron's in the fire. But more seem to come home
Old 02-24-2009, 06:26:22 PM
Registered

you can never have enough engines, as long as you can take care of them, and keep them inside, out of the elements,
The Following User Says Thank You to engine nut For This Post:
Old 03-14-2010, 07:55:37 PM
ryan jones

getting back to the original subject... i wish i could have started in the 80s collecting engines. prices now seem outragious compaired. i am now 26 and have around 16 good engines. freight, like that one fellow said does take a tole when buying a engine. i hope to never have to sell a engine and know some of them i have way to much invested, but fun to know just what your setting on. enough engines? i could use a lathe, 4-wheeler, bigger shed, but instead, i got my eye on another engine. why not.