Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Is the hobby's future HERE?

this thread has 298 replies and has been viewed 58694 times

View Poll Results: How old are you?
9 or under. 2 0.13%
10 to 19. 115 7.47%
20 to 29. 145 9.42%
30 to 39. 242 15.72%
40 to 49. 343 22.29%
50 to 59. 333 21.64%
60 to 69. 255 16.57%
70 to 79. 90 5.85%
80 to 89. 10 0.65%
90 to 100+ 4 0.26%
Voters: 1539. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 07:01:04 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schultz
I'am 60 years old, got my first engine three months ago. .
Dave

I like your post. Young at heart. THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2005, 07:23:14 PM
Alan in KY

im 44 and way to old for your poll but my 15yr old son is realy getting into engines.he says dad as much as i hate to admit it there realy interesting. i cant wait till i can find him a engine of his own this year. his grandfather has a 3hp ihc m that he wanting to get running but his grandpa is not interested in it as it has been in the barn for 10yrs and wont get it out so my son can try to get it running again. if my son ever looses interest in engines ill try to find a younger man or boy who realy loves them but cant afford one and give mine to them because i know there are many younger guys who will never own a engine because they are to high priced nowdays
Old 02-01-2005, 07:32:01 PM
Subscriber

im 18. i got my first engine in 2001. been collecting since. but before that dad and i had alot of allis chalmers equipment.. now we have even more.

-kyle blankenship
Old 02-01-2005, 07:34:10 PM
irondad

I'm 23 and I have been around engines and tractors all my life. My father has been taking my brother and I to steam and gas shows since I was five. I have 2-1/2 hp economy, 1-1/2 fairbanks ice block, 2hp dishpan fairbanks ,model 92 maytag, and some model engines that I have built. I have started to take my 2 year old son to shows now. I want to interest him at a young age before the fast paced computer based world poisons his mind too much that he can't appreciate the past. Don't get wrong I love using computers it's part of my job. I just think sometimes that too many kids don't get the apprecitiation for the mechanical marvels engines really are.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:38:16 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tremble
Dave

I like your post. Young at heart. THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.

Jim
Dave,

I was also 63, (I think), when I got addicted. Twelve years later I'm still restoring, but a little slower. Beats mall walking by far.

As for the future? Bet you can guess where my collection is going

Old 02-01-2005, 08:25:20 PM
Registered-III

I'm 23, almost 24. Been collecting since 1986, when my dad literally helped me drag a 7hp Saxon home. I've several tractors and 50+ engines now, you can see them all at http://www.oldengine.org/members/lozzi/mycollection.htm . I see a few collectors my age or younger around but not many.

Cheers! NICK
Old 02-01-2005, 10:00:28 PM
Registered-III

I'm 36, just starting to feel like I'm not a kid when I go to the shows or to meetings now. Yes, there's some folks my age in my club-Thresheree has had pretty good success in getting younger people involved- we have lifetime members who are still in diapers. There's been some other young folks at the shows around- heya Forest! Never got to drive your D last year.

Expense part is pretty serious for younger folks. Yes, you can buy some cheaper stuff out there, but you pay for it in restoration.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:07:46 PM
Registered-II

I'm 19, but I'm not able to work with old equipment as much as I'd like, because I'm at school. Right now, I'm working on an Oliver 60, but I do like to play with my Grandpa's old engines from time to time.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:18:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,631 Times in 1,150 Posts

I am 21. In a few months I will be going to school for 2 years for machining, then I am going to get my welders certification. I have been welding, playing with old engines, farming and hanging around machine shops since I was about 8.

Tanner Remillard
Old 02-01-2005, 10:19:13 PM

Thanked 20,700 Times in 5,991 Posts

WOW!!!!! Gotta tell you this is SO great!
I had NO idea there were this many "youngsters" (AND newcomers to the hobby) here!!! I hope this is an eyeopener for everyone EVERYWHERE!
The hobby WILL live on......and for a VERY long time......................

SOAPBOX WARNING:

It is my feeling that a lack a young people in a club or show can MOSTLY be attributed to the club itself. DO NOT ASK for young people to get involved because they might want to CHANGE something.....OH MY GOD!!!!!!!
OR.....the exisiting members are so darn stubborn they won't share what they know (much less what they HAVE) with ANYONE out of the "clique".
Don't offer to help ANYONE....it MIGHT wind up costing you a few bucks, hours...whatever.
DO NOT SHARE what you know with ANYONE......be a selfish pig and DIE with it instead.
And for GOD'S sake don't let your kid TOUCH that new PAINT JOB!!!!! A FINGERPRINT will SURELY render the machine worthless!!!!!! (I have actually seen this........it made me so sad...... )
I'm done now.
KEEP 'EM coming!!! Craig
Old 02-01-2005, 11:07:19 PM
Registered-III

Guess this is kinda off topic but as to your last comment about people not willing to share info/where to look for an engine, You sure are right! at the first engine show I went to as a member of the EDGE&TA (not showing any thing) I asked a few of the guys there if there were any engines they knew of for sale, any unfinished project, any places to look and I got in response, Yeah I know of a few...I am planing on getting for myself. You don't expect me to tell you where any of them are?!? I say yes, they say no. Heck, they would not help locate parts for my jaeger (tell me where to look or anything).

Oh well, sooner or later i'll have another engine

Mac Leod
Old 02-01-2005, 11:19:26 PM

Craig, As I staed I am only 31 and my wife is 26 (well will be in two days) and I am Vice President and she is Assistant Secretary of our club. We have changed a few things in the club, but think it is for the better. My wife redesigned the plaques, buttons, shirts and hats. I started a web site for them. Ther just is not that many young people involved in the hobby around here, but someone has to learn how to run things for when the older ones don't want to or can't do it any longer. Here is what the old plaque and the new plaque look like. I think that the new ones are nice.

Preveous

Updated

Link to the clubs site Carolina Fly-Wheelers
SmokStak Member #28

Last edited by Mike in NC; 02-02-2005 at 12:04:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:48:57 PM
Registered-III

If Mike thinks he is an "old fart" at 28, what does that make me? Just turned 70, and brought a new toy (8HP Field-Brundage) home today. Al Wait
Old 02-01-2005, 11:57:50 PM

Al, you're YOUNG yet!!! We got a guy turned on to old engines when he was your age!! He's 80 now and there's NO sign of him slowing up!!!! OR losing interest!
Hope we can say the same for YOU in 10 years!!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 12:01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC
Here is what the old plaque and the new plaque look like. I think that they are nice

I think the....um.......political correctness coming right up: UPDATED plaque is fabulous!!!
Nice work......VERY nice work!!! You should feel very
Old 02-02-2005, 01:10:59 AM
Registered-III

I'm 18 and got my first engine when I was about 10. Have been collecting them ever since.
Justin
Old 02-02-2005, 02:09:16 AM
Sky

I am 17 going on 18 and not looking forward to it
i got started in this hobby at 6 years old back in 1994 i think it was, at first it was tearing down engines for my dad and the next thing you know, i was not only tearing them down but cleaning them and rebuilding them!
dad didnt believe this one time, when he was working on a scooter for a customer, next day he went to work as usual, i thought, well, nows a chance to tool around and get up to dads stuff when he's gone to work
so i did,...didnt quite know what i was doing but i did it....what ever it was i did grabbed the key and it fired up! i was amaized! did i do that? guess i did, though i was too little to ride or i would have done that too!
he didnt believe me when he came home and i told him i got it running, he thought i was just messing around with him but when he felt the motor, boy was that a surprise! every sence then i've been doing stuff with todays modern engines but it wasn't till my teens i got started into antuiques, i still work on modern engines till this day, the antuiques are a privlage to me when i get enough money to do so, so far i've been succesfull, but it sure is alot of work! (money wise) i can bearly afford it to be honest but i guess the thrill is what keeps me going. my current antuique is my 1933 model Y briggs & stratton im restoring,, just about done too...my future engine i want to be a maytag hit&miss even though i am a diehard Briggs fan/nut, i always wanted a hit&miss aswell....i have done past projects antuique briggs such as my 1930 FH Briggs and my 1943 model Z briggs you can find a link of on mike in NC's web site. my 1930 FH im now showing on Dales A.S.E.C.C. web site of antuique engines, i dunno if my Z is still on there though, it might be somewere. am looking forward to show my 1933 model Y as soon as i get it done.

Sky
Old 02-02-2005, 11:13:43 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,792 Times in 193 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

Craig

Thanks for starting this post...I thought that I was one of the younger members, but I guess I have been collecting long enough that I still think I am young... I am 30... Have a decent job, I am able to afford some engines to play with...now to find that big shed to store and get them mechanically restored in....

I think that it is great that so many younger people are interested. I see the same problem in other clubs where the younger people are shut out, but the leadership still wants the draw to the club. As more and more of the youger people take an active roll, I hope this will change. I know that in my main club, many of the members don't use the internet or don't understand it.

I guess I am fortunate that I live in the midwest and have access to many great shows and auctions.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:13:23 PM
Registered-III

Guy,

Yes, it is me. Guy is a great resource for all of you out there, Young and old, for IH equipment. Even though he may be 36, he has several lifetimes of knowledge under the brim of his hat. You may be familiar with his name on the books he has had published related to IH.

Sorry, I didn't have my D at Rockriver in 04, it was 03 when Deere was featured (That 4 day weekend was way too short.). But you can drive it at Burnette this year...

Forrest
Old 02-02-2005, 04:40:31 PM
Registered-II

I am 20. My biggest problem is $$$ and trying to keep up with college (which I really do hate). I try and spend time with my Girlfriend (been dating her for 2.5 years) and I have been working in all of my other time. I have a Novo, a Fairbanks Z and alot of Air cooled motors. I'd love to get more (like that half breed that The owners are willing to give to me ), But I don't have the time anymore and I certainly don't have The $$$. Also I don't think my Ranger will pull that half breed around. Us younger people are out here, but we also have less time to devote to old motors.

The Simple serf
Closed Thread