Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Is the hobby's future HERE?

this thread has 298 replies and has been viewed 59128 times

View Poll Results: How old are you?
9 or under. 2 0.13%
10 to 19. 115 7.47%
20 to 29. 145 9.42%
30 to 39. 242 15.72%
40 to 49. 343 22.29%
50 to 59. 333 21.64%
60 to 69. 255 16.57%
70 to 79. 90 5.85%
80 to 89. 10 0.65%
90 to 100+ 4 0.26%
Voters: 1539. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 07:54:50 PM
Registered

Default Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

45 years old and have gone through many phases of collecting old mechanical "stuff". Started out with 1930 ford A's, got into other vintage cars, civil war weapons (got way too expensive), pre WWII weapons, (Can't find anything worth collecting without a 2nd mortgage!), old farm equipment and engines (still some nice stuff out there!). Have met some great people in the engine hobby! I drive the old cars, shoot the old guns, run the old engines, etc. if you can't enjoy it and share it, whats the point?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2005, 08:31:46 PM
Ben Augustine

I am 23 years old. I am a college student double majoring in Mechanincal Engineering and Construction Management at Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado. I am really collecting only information right now. Looking at pictures and just trying to learn something new everyday until I graduate and start my career so that I can start collecting actual engines, as you well know this isnt the cheapest hobby on the planet and being a college student = being broke. But my day is coming!!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:06:41 PM
Registered

Smile Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

Craig, I think you got your answer, yes there are a number of young people coming along. While I'm 75 and didn't start collecting until I was about 55, my youngest son was right there with me and now it's my grandchildren. They are the ones that make this hobby fun when you go to shows or the county fair, etc. Plus they help me move the old iron around. Dick in the cool Finger Lake Region of NY
Old 02-02-2005, 10:52:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,871 Times in 509 Posts
Photo Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

Craig; Even though I am past the age group you are looking for, Anthony at 12 years old helps spinn flywheels for both Jim and I. His dad is the guy you helped with the 720 JD flywheel last fall. A lot of the folks in our area have young people involved in the hobbie. Just having fun in Southern Illinois Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	040821013708.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1109  
Old 02-03-2005, 12:31:52 AM

Thanked 20,665 Times in 5,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bahre
Anthony at 12 years old helps spinn flywheels for both Jim and I. His dad is the guy you helped with the 720 JD flywheel last fall. A lot of the folks in our area have young people involved in the hobbie.
I can't BELIEVE the coincidences that occurred since I started coming to Harry's!!! People I have phoned, emailed, SEEN and so on. And I REMEMBER that JD flywheel thing!!! Talked with a guy out East in response to an ad here and it was like we KNEW each other!!! Turned into a mutual favor to boot!!!
Ain't it FUN???
Old 02-03-2005, 09:11:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,073 Times in 296 Posts

I am quite new to this site , but I have seen up here in Saskatchewan that a lot of young people in the 10 and younger group get a kick out of old engines and tractors, but a lot seem to lose interest when they hit their teens, and attentions seem to turn to the other sex, vehicles etc, but I have seen quite a few come back later in their life, when they have some disposable income to start a collection of tractors/engines. That how I go into the hobby anyways.

Will
Old 02-04-2005, 01:28:38 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,682 Times in 877 Posts

I am 45 years old...but I have 7 kids and 3 model Case steam traction engines...2 half scale and one quarter scale...my oldest boy aged 14 has been running the half scale for about 9 years....middle son age 12 about 8 years and youngest son age 10 about 6 years....they are all responsible engineers... sometimes when I get home they have loaded all of the engines and equipments and are ready to go.....most of the time we camp at the showgrounds.......so they plan the menu and pack the food as well...this part can get real interesting ?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:24:34 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
It is my feeling that a lack a young people in a club or show can MOSTLY be attributed to the club itself. DO NOT ASK for young people to get involved because they might want to CHANGE something.....OH MY GOD!!!!!!! OR.....the exisiting members are so darn stubborn they won't share what they know (much less what they HAVE) with ANYONE out of the "clique". Don't offer to help ANYONE....it MIGHT wind up costing you a few bucks, hours...whatever. DO NOT SHARE what you know with ANYONE......be a selfish pig and DIE with it instead. And for GOD'S sake don't let your kid TOUCH that new PAINT JOB!!!!! A FINGERPRINT will SURELY render the machine worthless!
Hey Craig. I love it when guys get like that with me. I'll be looking at one of their engines at a show and they'll ask me a question of sumtin pretty obvious. Ya know were's the carb. SO they can have their little laugh. Well it's funny as heck to see their responce when I tell them where the carb is and start nameing the rest of the parts on their engine and to add to their suprise I"ll give them a little historical info about the engine company while I'm at it. Then I'll start talking about my engines and tell them how slow my 6hp M runs and about a few of the engines that I"m trying to get ahold of. cough 15hp Victor cough.
Then usually just to rub it in a lil more I"ll go over n set down with one of the "big wigs" at the show if I know any of them that are there and talk like old buddies do. yes it may be a little mean but it just ticks me off when some fella think that our younger generation is all about computers and 4banger cars with fart cans on them. Oh BTW I HATE IMPORT CARS.

Chase 16yrs old and still turnin wrenches on old engines
Old 02-04-2005, 10:05:23 PM
Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase
Oh BTW I HATE IMPORT CARS.
Dont like to chime in on something like this but Chase, i think we have something in common...i hate import cars too! no offence to whom likes them.
i like all american stuff and actually made in the U.S.A. ya some might think about some like us as hot shots but not everyone like's forjein crap! and sometimes we know and can do alot more stuff than some give us credit for!
like i say. sorry to be chimeing in.

wait a minute, i admit, i do have a honda scooter, it is nice and ok for just riding around and doing parts runs but what is your choice in scooters? not very many, if there was a such thing as a Harley scooter, ida baught that instaed. never heard of a harley scooter though. and i know they dont make cushman scooters anymore do they? well, i had this scooter of mine so long it feels like a parts of the family ever time i open the garage door.....ohwell

Sky 17 going on 18 and not looking forward to it
Old 02-04-2005, 11:13:25 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Leonard
I was also 63, (I think), when I got addicted. Twelve years later I'm still restoring, but a little slower. Beats mall walking by far.

As for the future? Bet you can guess where my collection is going
Ralph

I hope they grow up to be as great of a collector as you. Teach them well.

Jim
Old 02-04-2005, 11:43:48 PM
Registered

is this to young?
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...82055122qMBFon
i was surprised to see that picture floating around on the web
Old 02-04-2005, 11:57:33 PM
Registered

Well Chase and Skylar, that makes for three of us! Do not care for non american junk...gave up levies in favor of american made "pointerbrand jeans" Wont buy non american if I can help it. cant stand rice rockets with there bean can mufflers (like the fart can comment!) I do feel that I should defend loud exhaust under proper circumstances though. Like when people decide to blast jazz (not the good stuff from the 30/40s) till every one in a 1 mile radius is sick an tired of it. (Ohhhhhhhhh boy, here it comes!!!!) I have a briggs and straton from the 70's on a mower. it is a 4 hp. The exhause was made for a muffler with 3/4 pipe thread or a bolt on spark arrestor. It was the 3/4 part that counted!I took a 1 1/2 foot piece of 3/4 pipe and installed it, then with a handful of fittings I brought it up to 3 inch pipe. It soundes like a tractor that was W-A-Y over speed (want to talk about LOUD!!!). then to take this further I would place my hand over the air intake and make for a poor mixture. this would cause black exhaust and would get worse as I added wd40/drops of motor oil through the air intake as I was overriding the governer. With more speed than it was intended to ever get, more junk to burn than it should have and a non existant muffler it was neat (though foolish). A 30+ foot collum of rank exhaust and a terible noise was enough to drown out there music. needless to say they took a hint.

Do not try this your selves...not at all wise...

Mac Leod
Old 02-05-2005, 01:17:56 AM

Now why didn't I think of doing a poll??????????????...............
Harry thinks of EVERYTHING!!

Craig
Old 02-05-2005, 11:32:46 AM
Registered

Craig,
I am 23 years old, I am been working on engine since i was 17 or so I started with small Air Cooled engines , and recently I have began collection Fairbanks Morse Engines. I find this hobby to be a very fun and fulfilling one. Although there are some problems along the way its all worth it in the end, because it seems everyone has at least one problem engine. And to get the engine running is the greatest feeling ever.
I just thought I will give my thoughts
~ Jonathan Widelo
Hatfield MA
Old 02-05-2005, 05:59:34 PM
Registered

I'm 25 years old from Pendleton Indiana. My personal collection consists of a 1 3/4hp economy, 2hp Roy C. Whayne (Hercules-built), 1 1/2hp Racine-Sattley, 1 1/2hp Worthington, (2) 3hp Worthingtons, 2hp Reliable sideshaft, 6hp IHC Famous, 12hp Advance steam traction engine, and a 1913 Model T Ford touring car. I'm also on the board of directors for the Pioneer Engineers Club of Indiana in Rushville. There is quite a bit more sitting around the house as my dad and grandfather have been collecting engines, tractors, cars, and steam engines since the early 1950's so I'd like to say that I have 60 years of collecting and restoration experience at my disposal. I visit enginads to see what is going on in other parts of the country that I wouldn't normally hear about and to meet new friends young and old alike!
Old 02-06-2005, 08:50:43 AM
In Memory Of Helen

Thumbs up Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

Come on! Let's vote in this poll! Harry needs more for his magazine articles!

No, you can't vote twice! You are even advised if you have already voted.
Helen
Old 02-06-2005, 11:12:41 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,686 Times in 526 Posts

Do you want to know what age my wife thinks I am because I collect rust?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:26:12 PM

Hey Gary!!! I have a few words for your wife: New steel rusts too if you don't take care of it........................
Old 02-08-2005, 12:36:07 PM
RIRR

Good Morning Guys, I am 26.My father and I have been only involved in the hobby for about 4-5 Years now. My father and I started out with a 1935 Farmall F-12 and it snowballed from there. And that was a start of the Disease and a Great Thing. Now we have 5 tractors and 11 engines. 3 Tractors have been completely torn down and restored from ground up and Two engines the same way. Now working on my 3rd engine. This is the best hobby I have ever been involved in. (and also the heavyist). It is a great way to unwind after work go out to the shop and bring something back to life. All of our iron that we have bought don't run at all. So when you are done it really feels like you have accomplished something. I also visit this site at least once a day. I also have tried to get friends involved but they seem to have any intrest. How I look at it is if the young generation does not get involved in the history from the elder generations will be lost for ever. There is alot to lean and the guys who ran this stuff are getting older or passing on. Well that is alittle about me. Thanks
Old 02-08-2005, 03:52:18 PM
Chris Curtis

Thanks Harry, I love the poll idea. I do wonder though if the results show the average age group in this hobby or just the age group thats most likely to use their computers. For instance, I am 35 and my Father is 67 and while I sit here reading smokstak he is out looking for a new project because in his mind the computer is of no real value to modern man and he refuses to learn how to use one. I guess he is sort of right. I used to get a lot more done before the internet!
Closed Thread