Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Is the hobby's future HERE?

this thread has 298 replies and has been viewed 58707 times

View Poll Results: How old are you?
9 or under. 2 0.13%
10 to 19. 115 7.47%
20 to 29. 145 9.42%
30 to 39. 242 15.72%
40 to 49. 343 22.29%
50 to 59. 333 21.64%
60 to 69. 255 16.57%
70 to 79. 90 5.85%
80 to 89. 10 0.65%
90 to 100+ 4 0.26%
Voters: 1539. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 04:26:50 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,293 Times in 2,476 Posts
Default Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curtis
I used to get a lot more done before the internet!
I used to get a WHOLE LOT done before the internet, but I still think that it is a remarkable tool.

Just as an aside, before the internet existed, I used to occupy my spare time with building and maintaining a repeater system on ham radio. That was a "server" of sorts, because it allowed radio operators to communicate with each other over long distances by retransmitting their signals on a more powerful system and a tall tower. No wonder I'm involved in this bulletin board!

By the way, the age here is 63 and I do think that our poll has picked up a representative sample. The one 90+ vote (I believe) was an error (although from WebTV.) Obviously the 80+ crowd doesn't run computers. Time clicks onward!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:53:13 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Wink Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

Quote:
But I bet you have a much broader knowledge about many different brands of engines thru the Internet and mainly thru SmokStak and the contacts from this site! Where else could you be in touch with so many engine enthusiasts! Thanks Harry for this site!......Helen and George too(who doesn't touch the computer, he is afraid of mice).
Old 02-08-2005, 09:15:07 PM
Registered

Now 75 on my third engine.started at 70years old . seen lots of buildings full of old engines but these old timers will not sell. how do you expect these young fellers to get started?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:34:10 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Is the hobby's future HERE? Poll Surpise!

I am actually suprised that the average age of the engine collector on this site is as old as it is. Maybe there is more to ponder (don't like the word "worry") on the future of this hobby than I thought. I just did a weighted average of the poll. I used the mid point of each age group (ie 10 to 19 as 15 and so on) this gives the average age at 50 years old. I suspect, as some have already pointed out, the age groups above 60 years old are under reported because of not having a computer. This brings out the importance of bringing the younger generation into the hobby and ultimately to our clubs and shows. I know lack of money and/or high engine prices are often sited as the reason young people aren't in the hoby, but I don't believe that is the entire reason. Many of the "kids" have a new four wheel drive pickup and more toys than I ever thought of having.

We are in a different generation than the past collectors. Most of the modern generation did not grow up around old engines, so it is an "aquired" taste. We need to help as many as possible aquire this taste. We need to get involvement when ever and hower possible. Open up our meetings and actually invite people to them. Once there, have an organized meeting rather than one ruled by the old gaurd. Look for new way to get involvement and then let others know what worked and what didn't.

I do believe many people get involved with this hobby after they get established in life. I know of several people that started to collect engines when they were in their mid 30's.

One last comment on engine prices. By the looks of this poll, there will be lot of engines change hands in the next 20 years (I'm assuming not every one has a child that will be given the engines). If there is a large supply (older people selling life collections) and little demand (no new people). That means prices are not going higher and may go down (for the average engine). If you are concerned about the "graying" of this hobby, it is even more important to get new people in it to protect your investment, if for no other reason.

By the way, I am 35 and have worked on engines since about 12 or 13. I didn't come from an engine or tractor collecting family, but we did have a 3 hp JD sitting in the junk yard. That was the first engine I got running. I also have one of the next generation (I think). My 4 year old son loves engines and has since he was born. He went to his first show when he was one month old, but slept through most of it.

Merlin
Old 02-08-2005, 10:08:11 PM

Thanked 20,725 Times in 5,996 Posts

Quote:
Well, I don't know that I get any more or less done......I just get LESS SLEEP!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:38:54 AM
Rusty Seeker

I'm younger than every 15 year old here! I am 14!!!

Rusty
Old 02-09-2005, 11:56:24 AM
Rusty Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Seeker
I'm younger than every 15 year old here! I am 14!!!
Well, 14 and a half really...

Rusty
Old 02-10-2005, 10:40:48 PM
Registered-III

Hello from Wisconsin,
I am 61 And perparing to retire, been in the hobby 40 or so years and looking foreward to many more years of fun. Enjoy the young people in the hobby. Stop by at the shows and say "HI".
Old 02-10-2005, 11:24:28 PM
Email Not Working

Im 63 1/2 going on 20 according to my wife. Last year I saw a lot of shows with lots of younger people and some with virtually none. I have to heartily agree that the younger ones and older ones have to be made welcome. I have been asked more totally stupid questions by adults than by kids. I enjoy talking and anyone who has met me at shows will agree. I have not had any bad experiences, but some of the talk about the older ones not wanting to change hits me in a different way. I'm in another group not affiliated with old iron that has some older people that fight us all the way because we dont do everything the way it was 30 years ago. COME ON YOUNGER ONES. I FOR ONE WILL DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO KEEP YOUR INTEREST UP. the le roi man.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:08:09 PM
Registered-II

I am Corey from Ontario, I am 21 and have started collecting engines since I was 12 and oh boy I think I have a problem!!! now Inot only have engines stuffed in the garage but in the basment of the house! oh well...what can ya do.. but there is one thing... it is a better investment then what most of the young people our age are doing!
see y'all at the shows
Corey
Old 02-12-2005, 06:39:02 PM
Matthew Arold

I am 23 from NH, and bought my first engine in September. It was my first antique anything and probably the only time I have handed over hundreds of dollars without feeling sick.I purchased a Stover KA, then was asked if i wanted another Stover as I was showing the KA at the Deerfield Fair. I couldn't resist a CT 3 hit or miss that just needed to be reassembled to run. From there it was a road trip to Pennsylvania to get another Stover CT 1 that is still in the cement mixer(BONUS!!), and now I am doing everything I can to get a 1914 Stover K, hit or miss of course.
So to answer the question I think that the future of the hobby is here and doing well. Besides, if years down the road interest starts to fall, especially on anything Stover, I will be more than happy to take them off of peoples' hands to preserve this fine hobby.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:57:56 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

My gosh, when I look at these numbers and see how few in my age bracket, it gets scary. Hope I make it to this summer at least for show time. At least I believe that the hobby has enough younger people people to keep things going. And yes, while some of the engines are getting pricy, there will alway be guys like me that have the common engines to buy when we kick the bucket. Have faith. Dick in the cool Finger Lake Region of NY.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:15:32 PM
In Memory Of Helen

Angry Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Hamilton
My gosh, when I look at these numbers and see how few in my age bracket, it gets scary. Hope I make it to this summer at least for show time. At least I believe that the hobby has enough younger people people to keep things going. And yes, while some of the engines are getting pricy, there will alway be guys like me that have the common engines to buy when we kick the bucket. Have faith. Dick in the cool Finger Lake Region of NY.
Hope you responded to the poll! I really believe the collectors in our age bracket are not generally computer users. The shows surely indicate that there are lots of collectors in this bracket. And in the not too distant future these engines will become available to the younger group. It's inevitable but in the meantime we will keep attending the Shows as long as possible...........Helen
Old 02-12-2005, 10:56:28 PM
Registered-III

Smile Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

I am 62 years old and have been collecting for about 5 years. I try to display at A dozen or so showes each year. I have been involved in many hobbys in my life time, but never have I met such A friendley and helpfull group of people as are involved in engine collecting. I think I enjoy the company of the other collectors as much as I enjoy the engines.
allen lapage
Old 02-26-2005, 10:41:55 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

I'm 47 and grew up around "old" stuff. Not because we collected it, but because that is what we used. My grandfather and uncles cut their winter's heat with a Novo running a saw rig. It was a BIG deal when I was old/big enough to take away from the saw as they worked it. The tractor was a Model A doodlebug with a big truck rear end and old tractor wheels/tires on the back and 2 transmissions back to back. Talk about a stump puller......... We sugared with a horse and scoot long after other folks had gone to tractors/snowmobiles etc. I now realize how fortunate I was to be part of all that. My friend and I have always had and interest in old tools, farm equipment, antique vehicles and such so when we "found" a couple old Briggs
that were looking for new homes a couple years ago at the Dublin NH meet we were hooked. Today we brought home our first Flywheel engine, a FM Z 3hp. Jon's son is 20 and an equal partner with us on several of our engines, my son is 14 and keeps asking if we can use one of them for a go-kart but no real interest in working on them, but I haven't lost hope.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:45:54 AM
Sponsor

I`m 33 and bought my first engine 6 years ago this coming May. Before that I was into tractors which my father and I got started in back in the early 80`s. We still have a few a tractors kicking around, but we enjoy the engines alot more than we do the tractors. We take in around 10 shows a year usualy taken Economy`s and coffee grinders. In both the engine and tractor hobby the people seem great, but for us the engines have caught our interest. Dave
Old 02-27-2005, 01:44:30 PM
Registered-III

Question Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

I have read the above replies but come to a somewhat different conclusion.

While I love to see young people who are interested in the past and the old iron that is such an intricate part of that past. I also understand when so many of them couldn't care less.

Many of those who couldn't care less now will get interested later in life after they have had more life experience.

Its in the nature of man and woman to look to the past for a feeling of security. We tend to forget the struggles and remember good times.

I would be interested is seeing a survey showing what age people got their first engine.

I know that I didn't didn't get my first old engine untill I was nearly 40 years old. I'm 62 years old now.

Many of those who ride their 2 and 4 wheeled toys today will someday be pulling their toys around on 4 cast iron wheels.

Dick
Old 02-27-2005, 03:18:50 PM
Registered-II

mr.Welty
I bought my first engine when I was 12 from a friend of mine, and unfortunately I seem not to be able to stop buying them and they keep geting bigger and bigger!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 01:17:42 AM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

Corey.

I started playing with cast iron Briggs and Stratton and Maytag engines when I was about the same age as you were when you bought your first engine only when I played with these engines they were mostly considered to be junk.

I am so glad to see young people that have an interest in this hobby.

My coments were directed at the survey or Poll that was taken regarding the future of this hobby. It seems to show that the current number of people in the hobby tend to be older. My coments were that the hobby has probably always had more older people involved in it.

I see posts all of the time that are from older people who have just acquired their first old engine. This hobby has grown since the 60s' and 70s' to what it is today. I am not too concerned about the health of this hobby in the future.

I am always showing my engines to young people in hopes sparking an interest in them that will someday grow into the fire that you have for these engines.

Anyway Corey, keep on collecting and have fun.

Dick
Old 09-28-2005, 04:08:51 PM
Registered-II

Unhappy Re: Is the hobby's future HERE?

Well back accross the pond in England i`m a member of the National Vintage Tractor & Engine Club. We`ve about 200 members in our group (34 in total) & at the age of 36 i`m one of the younger members. I can`t speak for the other groups as some are much bigger than us, but certainly around West Yorkshire there doesn`t seem to be a massive increase in interest
Closed Thread