Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Posting solutions to your engine questions

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1723 times

Old 06-29-2008, 09:17:16 PM
Registered

Default Posting solutions to your engine questions

It would be a nice thing to do and would be a lot of help to many collectors when someone posts a request for solving a problem as to why an engine won't start. how to set the time, fuel problems, etc. you name it. And one, or several persons tries to help with an answer. If and when the solution to the problem is found if the person would just take the time to post what solved the problem it would'nt take any longer to post what the remedy was than it did to ask the question. Why do I say this this ? Because you never know whether or not they ever got the engine to run and it would make collectors more prone to answer questions knowing that somewhere along the line they were able to help. After all this is one of the reasons Harry started this smokstak thing. Engine people helping one another. Thanks, Joe Morris
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Joe Morris For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2008, 09:50:32 PM
Registered

Default Re: Posting solutions to your engine questions

You know some of the folks dont like to share info or fugure if you cant get it to run you dont need to be messing with them. On here thats not the case, ask me a question about moguls or any IHC or economy models or machining I will awnser your call for service. I try to share solutions to the problems I run into on here whenever I get the chance to share info, which many of the engines I own you all know came in boxes and busted up pretty good, or are not common due to reasons. I dont get my kicks for charging anyone, I dont care if you own Chicago or your a 14 yr old kid who bought a maytag as your first engine using paper route money, what I do get is satisfaction of hearing your engine on Utube or seeing it at a show running, or the person who comes to my shop to pick up there first engine they have ever owned, I share my knowlege to all who need it and hope when I need help someone will help me. Thank you to Joe Morris, we have a very good topic to chat about, speaking of which, the engine (I just bought today I got several), I will be posting some things for all you Baker owners on here, timming info, oil slingers and my solutions to running problems. Stuff you wont find in a manual, and best part, FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IronCity2006 For This Post:
Old 06-30-2008, 08:16:58 AM
Registered

Wink Re: Posting solutions to your engine questions

Yes! We should help each other, but I found that when it comes to "tricks of the trade" kinda problems, some (most) guys with the right answers suddenly goes quiet.....they probably think that if they had to struggle to get it right, they're not gonna tell YOU the easy way out. I am involved in a number of hobbies, and especially when starting up in a new hobby, you need all the help you can get. There are so many things I had to learn the hard way, and so many things I had to figure out by experimenting. Nothing wrong with finding your own solutions to your problems, but along the way a lot of precious time and money sometimes gets wasted. I am still toying with the idea of publishing my own website with EVERYTHING I know spelled out loud and clear for anyone to read!!!! I love these forums, plainly because a lot of good guys participate and share their knowledge and experience with others. It is after all a hobby, and to share knowledge, and to socialize and share a passion for machinery (or whatever) with others make it just so much better!!
Old 06-30-2008, 04:12:18 PM
Sponsor

I don’t think it’s they don’t want to share info, as much as one or more of the following:
They don’t feel they have enough information.
Not sure the questioner will understand their response.
Afraid they will be giving bad advice.
Afraid of being ridiculed by another expert.
Figure that someone else, with more knowledge, will respond.
Are sensitive about their spelling and sentence writing skills.
Are not comfortable with a computer.
I think most, if in one on one situation, and ask for help, would willing discuss and offer their thoughts.
Keith
Old 06-30-2008, 09:26:11 PM
Registered

I was thinking more about someone taking the time to post the answer to why their engine was giving them a problem after they were given the answer. In other words not so much about giving advice but taking time to say thanks for the advice given. I/E the answer to why my engine would't run etc. posted by john doe was just what I needed, it was the coil,check valve, fuel pump, or whatever, that solved my problem. Then you at least know you helped someone. And are more prone to help more when future questions arise. I am anything but an expert and my answers are posted by the hunt and peck method. Joe
Old 07-01-2008, 02:28:48 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Posting solutions to your engine questions

It's a great concept. Maybe there should be a seperate forum for that?? I religiously buy the "CAR" magazine every month, (yes, I have a HUGE pile already) and in there is an article called "the garageman's casebook". The article usually has two or three interesting cases where the solution to the problem they had was less than obvious. I must say that I have learned a lot from that garageman's experiences, and always find the article very interesting. I'm absolutely positive that we can also use that concept with our engines on this forum!