Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Silly things people ask at a show...

this thread has 206 replies and has been viewed 42339 times

Old 04-21-2015, 06:55:48 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Silly things people ask at a show...

Just got done reading all 10 pages and had some good laughs!

I'm big into Garden Tractors and hear many of the replies mentioned in this thread at shows.

The one that I always get a kick out of is when they ask what HP they are.

When people ask the HP of my Garden tractors and when I tell them 6HP they chuckle and say my Riding mower is 24HP!!!....... If they only knew LOL

I do try and answer any questions people ask as I believe as collectors its our job to keep the heritage alive and educate people about the engines of yester year, you do get some crazy questions though!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2015, 10:49:35 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,233 Times in 549 Posts

Hey guys, I really enjoyed Green Acres from Haney to Lisa's hotch cake head gasket. I'm pretty sure that the Deere was in the opening credits (and episodes) in year #1 and was changed to the Fordson in the following years (credits and episodes), as Ford Motor Company was their sponsor. Both were referred to as a Hoyt/Clagwell. Oldtractors is correct about the new Ford tractor episode. When the blonde and I did swap meets, we had a sign with Mr. Haney's picture on it that stated "We're not here to beg and steal, we're here to wheel and deal". Eldon, the first time I saw the name of your homebuilt, I knew that we were probably kindred spirits. I better sign of as the computer is a three, and I already have the toaster and the blonde has the vacuum running (two more threes). Way past seven.....ED
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 04-21-2015, 11:47:38 PM
Registered-III

When I was a little kid I was admiring a model hit and miss engine at Mt. Pleasant. The builder was there, and somehow knowing I'd need more than my screwdrivers and pliers to build one myself, I innocently asked him "Do you have a MILLING MACHINE?!?". He chuckled and exclaimed "Yup, right here!" as he held up a FILE! Then with a smile explained that in fact he had a lathe, AND a milling machine. He inspired me and over three decades later I now have my own machine shop!! (but alas, little time to build an engine )
Old 04-22-2015, 06:18:13 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,195 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden DuRand View Post
Pettycoat Junction was generally thought to be pretty blah but when we started running Green Acres, it caught on with us (like the cartoon show, Rocky and His Friends).
I didn't know we watched Petticoat Junction for the story line. I thought we watched it for the pretty girls...and the train.... But I was young and impressionable so what would I know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JSWithers For This Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 09:24:27 PM
Registered

I can't believe some of the comments I read on YouTube engine videos.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:49:20 PM
Registered-I

I have a couple of engines I've never taken to a show, however my pride and joy is a 1944 military Harley-Davidson, which I've shown many times. There is always at least 1 idiot/jerk at every show, so I made a fold-out laminated sign board describing everything about the bike... how I got it, restored it, technical specs, etc.. It is 3 pages and at the top of the first page it says "1944 Harley-Davidson..." in bold print and at the bottom it says "This bike is not for sale" also in bold print. Idiots will read all 3 pages then ask "what year is your Indian?" and "how much you want for it?"
Kevin in Wilmington, NC
Old 08-30-2015, 07:14:12 PM
Registered-I

A few from our county fair last week

We were working on a few Rumely oil pulls and hear the following:

"Its a steam engine! "
"why are you using spark plugs in it"
''Why would someone buy something like this , what would you use it for, is it a tractor?"

Also had an ''Expert'' come by while we were working on one of the carbs fuel needles and kept insisting to us he knew what the problem was and told us to take off that big ''Fuel pipe" cause its clogged! (which was actually the oil line)! He left when we told him that

And on my Bolens Garden tractor display:

"Why do you collect these?"

"Are all of them yours" (They are completely roped off in a group and all have my name on them)
--------------
Then came the idiots, Signs are around the displays saying please stay off tractors mine are roped off with cones and painted PVC pipe

1) Come back with some food and see a kid and their parents in my roped off area area sitting on my tractors! The parent thought it was funny when I told him to get off them!

2) Parents let kid into my roped off area to sit on my tractors, kid knocks my freshly restored saw off the wooden block I had it on and scratches the paint, parents see me looking straight at them and they leave without saying anything!Followed them and asked if they were going to pay for my paint jobs or if they seen the bright orange roped off area and they said they didnt know they werent supposed to be on them! WTF! just about flipped my lid!

3) A committee member asks a grown woman to get off one of the big farmalls with a 'Please stay off" sign on them , Her response was ''I can sit on them if I want to"