Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

4 HP IHC Titan Side Shaft is

this thread has 248 replies and has been viewed 60537 times

Old 03-22-2011, 09:09:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,831 Times in 1,720 Posts
Default Re: 4 HP IHC Titan Side Shaft is

The TITAN valves and seats are rusty and it needs a valve job. I got the stuck exhaust valve and guide, and intake valve loose, but the exhaust valve is too long to take out. I need to remove the intake valve cage to get it out which will be a bit difficult just because the way it was made. I showed a machinist or two and they both scratched their heads and said “GOOD LUCK” getting that out without breaking something. I was told I need to heat the entire head evenly or something might break. I can’t do it in the oven in the house, but I have the BBQ-grill that needs to be checked out after the LONG winter anyway. Today was the day to work on it so I uncovered the BBQ grill and found two broken wheels and a bent axel from the heavy winter snow load. So, off to the mower wheel pile and I picked two the same. I had to put bushings in them to fit the straightened axel, and when I got that done, I tried to start the BBQ grill with the electronic igniter and it was a NO-GO . Went and found some matches and lit it. Put some aluminum foil on the grate, put the head on it (instead of a steak), closed it up and took it to 450 degrees F. I baked it for about an hour till there was no more smoke, turned the grill off and just let it cool down slowly while I went and did something else. Several hours later it was at ambient temperature, and the intake valve cage was still “STUCK”. I soaked it down again with PB Blaster. I removed one stud easily, but the other one was real short and I had to resort to a pair of vise grips to get it out. I took a hack saw blade and cut out the flange gasket and soaked it again with PB Blaster. I took a 3# mason hammer and tapped the flange softly (?), and, did I see movement (?). I tapped it in the other direction and it did in fact move just a wee bit . I checked the valve cage in the head and did the same thing, I could feel it move. Well enough of that, it’s loose so I put the head in the big vise, pulled out the “FLEA” market $10 24” RIDGID HEX-flange wrench and worked the flange back and forth. It moved a bit, then more, and MORE, and then it was OUT . Sure am glad that’s done without breaking something. Now I have to find the valve grinding tools some place in the shed, tomorrow. It was another “FUN” day, even in NJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust valve guide.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	103143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baking Head.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	103144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IntakeValve CageLoose.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	103145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IntakeValveCageOUT.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	103146  
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 09:52:19 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,244 Times in 314 Posts

Paul had called me this morning told me he was firing up the grill. I stated barbeque this early he laghed and stated watch the IHC side shaft post. I just had to laugh. Paul show the folks the other parts you had in the oven while Sandy was shopping.

KK
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Kusel For This Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 11:19:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,441 Times in 1,635 Posts

Paul and Kevin, I've never had barbecued Titan before but it sounds like a delicacy to me! I'm glad you were able to get the cages out Paul. Like I mentioned to you, if you were able to get them out without busting something you'd be lucky. You are!! Remember there is a copper ring (or gasket) at the bottom of the intake cage.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:12:10 PM
Subscriber

Thumbs up Re: 4 HP IHC Titan Side Shaft is

I’ve been busy working on the Titan and getting things “DONE”. The cylinder bore was checked by Rob and was within a 0.001 between the front-middle-back. It was decided to go with a 1/8” oversized piston (Rob is making them anyway) with custom rings instead of going the sleeve route. I found someone that has made several Titan S/S gear sets before, and will make me a set. The valves can be reused, and will be done by B & B Automotive as soon as the fissures (CRACKS) in the head are welded. I went to a recommended professional metal worker/welder down the road that at 68 is still working in the shop and keeping active. I made another “NEW FRIEND TODAY” . The welder said I have to wait to get it done, and with a smile said is Monday OK ?

The air throttle valve was broken and missing most of the pieces , and thanks to Guy Fay I got a print of the MILWAUKEE WORKS I.H. CORP’N drawing H289 for the air throttle part (and others) . I rummaged around in the 2” pipe section in the shed at home and came up with a smooth, old, 2” pipe connector that (fits in the air intake perfectly. This along with a couple of $0.59 metal electrical round box covers from the Depot, a bit of cutting, welding and grinding I’ll have me a new one real quick. Almost done already, and I sure am having fun working on this, even in NJ with lot's more to do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AirThrottleValve.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	103313   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirThrottleValve (2).jpg
Views:	266
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	103314   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirThrottleValve (3).jpg
Views:	259
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	103315  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 05:25:30 PM
Subscriber

Here is the finished Air Throttle valve I made. It’s almost perfect (home made) and it even fits . Now to draw up and make a detent control arm so that it stays in the position selected (cold air, warm air or both . No rush here since it’s the weekend with other things to keep me busy .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AirThrottle (2).jpg
Views:	228
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	103345   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirThrottle.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	103346  

Old 03-25-2011, 07:05:43 PM
Subscriber

When one is on a roll, you keep on going. So, with a lot of persuasion, heat, brute force, the press and one or two #%4@*^ , I got the broken in pieces Mixer Air Valve OUT, without breaking something I don't want to break. This is a different valve than the Throttle Air Valve . Now all I have to do is make a new stem for it and make up the valve "WEB" for the old valve head. Fortunately Guy had the drawing H371 for it, so it shouldn’t be too bad . What's up with all these valves........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	101_2407.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	103355  

Old 03-25-2011, 09:39:35 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,166 Times in 980 Posts

Great work Paul! I look forward to seeing the Titan up and running.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Monnier For This Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 09:12:35 PM
Subscriber

I made up an Air Throttle valve control lever and detent so that it stays in the position selected (cold air, warm air or both) . It was made up from a piece of 1/2"w x 5/8" L flat stock, a piece of 3/8 pipe drilled out to 1/2", and a piece of 1/4" pipe all welded together. Then a 3/4" piece of 1/4" rod "V" shaped on the end, a small spring and a 1/4" pipe cap as a spring retainer. I drilled a hole for a 1/4" set screw to hold it tight on the shaft. Not exactly to spec , but for now “IT WORKS” as slick as greased lightning . The last picture is a start of the mixer air valve with the print underneath. FUN, you bet it is……..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AirThrottleLever.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	103445   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirThrottleLever (2).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	103446   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirThrottleLever (3).jpg
Views:	222
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	103447   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2411.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	103448  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 05:20:06 PM
Subscriber

I was busy in the shop today when the call came from the welder. The head is ready, ALREADY . I cleaned up and off I went to the welder. He preheated the head, V’d out the crack, clamped the breaks so they lined back up, fired up the TIG with nickel rod and welded away . The head was still warm when I picked it up. NICE job and a whole lot better than what I would have done with my buzz box. We chatted for awhile and off I went to the friendly auto engine rebuilder for the valve job. He said it will be done early next week so off I went, again, back home in the shop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	101_2415.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	103549   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2416.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	103550  

Old 03-28-2011, 05:27:15 PM
Subscriber

Before I got interrupted with the phone call and side trips , I was rebuilding the Mixer Air Valve. I had a couple of miss starts, but got it fabricated (welded, milled, and threaded 3/8-24 on both ends . I needed a Castle Nut for the valve end and looked for awhile before I found the plastic container where I had a large assortment of them. I bought all of these at the “FLEA MARKET” for $2.00 about a month ago. Next I have to make a new throttle valve shaft as the one I have is broken . Thanks Guy for the drawings H371 & H4322
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	101_2414.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	103551   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2417.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	103552   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2418.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	103553   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2421.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	103555  

The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 05:51:20 PM
Subscriber

Paul, I hope that its just a shadow or something, but the picture on the right of the head repair looks like the weld is cracked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim B For This Post:
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58:10 PM
Subscriber

Tim: It could be a little hair line crack that I didn't notice. I'll check that out when I get the head back from the shop next week. In the mean time, today I made a new throttle valve shaft pretty much to the drawing provided by Guy to replace the broken one. I made some dimensional changes due to wear so things fit well. I needed some 7/16” CRS to make the shaft, but only had a piece of ½” CRS, so I had to make “EXTRA” chips. I carefully measured the inside bearing depth of the shaft and made it just a bit longer. After making all those chips on the lathe, I put the shaft on the mill and had trouble getting it centered until I took into account the edge finder dimension (CRS ). After milling the flat, I located the first throttle valve hole and then the second. I drilled the two holes for the throttle valve and ran a 6-32 tap in them for the throttle valve screws. The throttle valve “ALMOST FIT” , and with a small round file in hand it did. I put it all together and found the throttle valve was binding a bit on the rust in the cast iron passage way. I pulled it all apart, got out the ½ round medium file and cleaned up the passage way. I put it all together again, and it flops back and forth and seals nicely like it should. It’s about time to start making some gaskets between scraping off flaking paint, cleaning the MK-50, and making a nut and bolt list for those needed as I put it back together. I’m still waiting on the valve job, gears, piston and something else I’m sure I don’t know about yet . I had another “FUN” day, even in NJ on the way through.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ThrottleValveShaft3-30-11.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	103678   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThrottleValveShaft3-30-11 (2).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	103679   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThrottleValveShaft3-30-11 (3).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	103680   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThrottleValveShaft3-30-11 (4).jpg
Views:	205
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	103681  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 03-31-2011, 07:20:38 AM
Subscriber

Paul all that fun in NJ, makes me want to move up there. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to hearing this run. Tim
Old 03-31-2011, 08:49:07 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
Paul all that fun in NJ, makes me want to move up there. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to hearing this run. Tim
Tim THANKS: Me too, someday this summer I hope . All that fun is in my back yard or at my Son's place up the road. As soon as I leave either place, It's not so much fun anymore . Everybody is always in a hurry to get some place, and there are a "LOT" of people getting some place .

The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 01:31:09 AM
Registered-III

Actually, if you're handing out thanks, Craig A. deserves some as he helped arrange financing for the IH drawing project.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guy Fay For This Post:
Old 04-01-2011, 06:47:44 AM
Subscriber

Guy: Thanks for the response. I didn't know Craig had a hand in getting all those IHC drawings in one place. I know he worked on a lot of IHC Tractors and engines.My thanks goes out to Craig A... Those drawings have been most helpful as this project moves along.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:57:11 AM
Subscriber

I’m missing the Governor Link Rod end and need to make one up. After looking in the parts books and seeing what it looks like , it’s an easy enough item to make. I found a piece of old corroded ½” rod I had on the shelf left over from an IHC fuel pump rod I replaced a while back (Got to keep it all IHC ) . I drilled a 5/16” mounting hole in it about a ½” deep, and drilled a hole in the ½” rod at a right angle for a 1/4-20 thread link, tapped it, and then cut the ½” piece off. I put a longer than needed piece of 1/4 -20 all rod in it, and will fit it when assembling the engine. Here it is just like in the drawings. Well almost . It's one more piece done while having another “FUN” day, even though it’s raining here in NJ.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GovernorRodLink.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	103774   Click image for larger version

Name:	GovernorRodLink (3).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	103775  

Old 04-01-2011, 04:28:44 PM
Subscriber

Since I had some “IDLE” time today (raining and cold), I worked on the ignition advance and magneto trip mechanism. The “second” thing I did was clean off everything in the bead blast cabinet (check out all the repairs on the parts ?). The “FIRST” thing I did since I got tired of running the bead blast cabinet vacuum exhaust hose out under the garage door, was do what I wanted to do days ago after I stopped at the Depot and picked up a pack of 6 (not a 6 pack) 2” round soffit vents (I only need one?), some 2” PVC pipe, and a 90 degree bend. I made some plastic curls in the lathe as I fit the vacuum exhaust hose to the fitting and the PVC pipe to the vent. I drilled a 2” hole in the garage outside wall near the bead blast cabinet. After I put a “FINE BUG SCREEN” in the vent, I stuck it through the wall and connected the PVC pipe and exhaust hose up and checked it out. No more opening and closing the garage door to use the bead blast cabinet - NICE. Then, I took everything apart on the ignition advance and magneto trip mechanism, and had to use the “HEAT” wrench only once on one of the large pivot pins that was stuck fast. I had to make up a missing ignition advance/retard detent and find the right spring in the spring box . Making up the detent pin took a few tries to get the pin angle right so it worked fairly freely. The magneto trip finger drive had a plain old nut on the bottom of it with the threads upset so it wouldn’t come off . I cleaned the threads up and found the right sized castle nut in the castle nut bin. I just need to drill a cotter key hole in it when I do the final assembly. I might have a replacement S/S gear next week and the head back from the machinist. That’s enough fun for today. Tomorrow morning if it’s not raining I’m off to the “FLEA” market to find something I don’t really need today, but might tomorrow . Need to go relax and read my GEM I got yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	101_2429.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	103787   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2430.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	103788   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2431.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	103789  

Old 05-04-2011, 09:16:08 PM
Subscriber

I’ve been treading water on the Titan S/S while waiting for things to fall into place (gear, piston, sand blasting, and the valve job on the head-complex non standard set up) making follow up phone calls while working on it. Today, I stopped at the machine shop and he said stick around as he was with another customer. So, I waited, he said we need to work on this, and he was all apologetic about the delay. We spent about 45 minutes together grinding valves, knurling valve guides and trying to figure out how to grind the recessed valve seats with the “short-modern” tools he has. I wound up taking a used/spare valve seat guide home with me to turn it on the lathe to fit the non standard size valve guide and stem in the valve cage so we can cut the 45 degree seat. Someone at one time sure did a job on it . I got home and turned the valve seat guide on the lathe so it was a tight fit. The wife said you have a heavy package on the kitchen table. I could hardly wait to open it as it was my “NEW” side shaft gear. WOW is that nice as I placed it next to the worn one. Progress is slow, but I have one more thing done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2566.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	106083   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2567.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	106084  

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 05-12-2011, 09:10:14 PM
Subscriber

I took the Titan head and valve assemblies to the Engine Club meeting last night as part of a show and tell. I try to do this when I attend the meetings. I got a lot of verbal support, suggestions and OH, that’s easy I’ll just put it on my quick-way, etc..etc..etc.., but nothing else . I already had the time and place set up to grind the “RUSTY”-pitted seats and the intake and exhaust valves for Thursday night. We cut the valves, and after a light run with a knurlier, and little and shimming of the cutter guide to make it as square as we could in the valve guides (the valve guides are worn and we’re going to leave them a bit “loose” for proper valve seating). We got both valve seats ground (first with a 30 degree cutter to clean and open up the seat and then finished with a 45 degree cutter to match the valve angle). He put a little Prussian blue gel on the valve, and the valve seat, then closed the valve against the seat and then removed it. It showed a nice seat ring all the way around . The intake valve is the right size, but the made up exhaust valve that was in the head is wrong (too short by 1 ¼” and not big enough 1 ¾” wide instead of 2” per the drawings for the valve). The spring is also too short and I'm sure I have something that will be appropriate in the "spring" box. I’ll call the valve maker in the morning to get one made up. I need to start making some gaskets and do a bunch of other little items in my spare time. It still will be awhile, before first “SMOKE”-STAK. Boy, I sure am having fun, even in NJ on the way through , and especially Friday, at the "FLEA" market.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2587.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	106559   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2589.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	106560