Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

4 HP IHC Titan Side Shaft is

this thread has 248 replies and has been viewed 60543 times

Old 07-15-2011, 06:29:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,837 Times in 1,721 Posts
Default Re: 4 HP IHC Titan Side Shaft is

Mike O.: It will not be running this weekend .

Chris: Thanks .

Mike M.: It is agressive and removes all the paint except for small spots in the casting. It's doing what I want it to do without the mess of liquid stripper and sand blasting .

6:30 am WOW it's getting late. Got to get off to the "FLEA MARKET" .
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2011, 10:09:59 PM
Subscriber

The head bolt studs I ordered were the same length as the originals, but were about a ½” to short when things got bolted up with the new “HEAVY” nuts . So, I ordered a few 7”ers which came in and got installed. I cleaned the cylinder, compression relief hole and oiler hole in anticipation of installing the head and head gasket which I did. One thing led to another as parts started coming together again. I made a lot of trips to the Bolt & Nut shed for those missing items. I sand blasted them to take off the shiny zinc coating. For the last few days, I kept moving the new 4 7/8” piston for the S/S around in the shop and decided it was time to move it someplace else . I cleaned the piston, rings, piston pin and rod good, found another wrist pin bolt and lock nut and assembled them. I oiled them all up good, oiled the cylinder, oiled the 10” hose clamp, tightened the clamp on the first ring just to compress the ring a bit, wiggled the piston easily, and it slid right in, the second and third did the same, slid right in. I gave the piston a push and you could hear air escaping through the compression relief. I hooked the rod up to the crankshaft, closed the relief, and could bounce the piston against compression. I can’t do much more until I get the S/S drive gear except remove some more paint, work on a gas tank and fuss with things in general. I sure am having fun in NJ, and am wondering how many of these I.H.C. 4-6HP Titan Side Shafts are still out in engine land . I have come up with a half dozen or so that I know of (Gary, Sam, Jim, and a couple on YouTube).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2827.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	110769   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2825.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	110770  

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 08:06:01 AM
Subscriber

I spent more than a couple of hours shimming bearings on the Titan S/S. The engine when I got it was set up using the bearing caps to adjust the clearances without enough shims . Well when things run this way they tend to “BANG” the bearings when “LOOSE” like that. They should be held fairly tightly. Fortunately not much damage was ever done to the mains, but a small shoulder piece of the connecting rod bearing was missing from this, but it’s OK to use. So, with a lot of bearing clearance and missing a lot of shims, I had to make up more than a few . After oiling all the “LOOSE” bearings first, I spun the engine by hand to see how many revolutions it took to stop “LOOSE”. Using this as a gauge, I did the rod bearing first which took 0.030” before binding would stop when tightening the rod cap down and the engine turned freely. Then I did one main first and then the second. Both mains took an equal amount of 0.054” before binding would stop when the main bearing caps were tightened and the engine turned over freely. The engine turns over now just as it did when the bearings were “LOOSE”. It sure turns over smoothly and the bearings are snug, with little resistance except for the engine mass itself. Once I have it up and running, the bearings will be readjusted and shimmed as necessary. Here is a photo of the rod shims being cut from an Arizona with lemon Ice Tea can, and the left over cuttings from the cover of a steno pad used for the mains. As I’m doing this rebuild, I see a few things that need to be worked on if I want to, not necessary, but it sure will keep me busy fussing with it. I still have a lot more to do before “FIRST FIRE”, but I sure am having fun doing it as it slowly comes together, even in NJ.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ShimmingBearings7-17-2011 (2).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	110955   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShimmingBearings7-17-2011.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	110956  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 09:04:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,907 Times in 1,088 Posts

That is a great use for a tea can. This is real recyling.

Gil
The Following User Says Thank You to Gil Garceau For This Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 07:04:00 AM
Subscriber

I pulled out the Madison Kipp 50-4 feed and find it's stuck good as I can't get it to function. I have it soaking and hope I don't break something working on it . Anyway, when assembling the intake and exhaust rocker arms, I see that the lash adjustments are just a machine screw with a head that butts up against the valve stem which is the way it is. I thought about that flat on flat at some angle and went out and got some steel 3/8” acorn nuts to screw on the end of the valves to give a “smoother” contact and reduce surface friction (like it means a lot ?). In connecting up the exhaust and pre heater I needed a 7” piece of 1 ½” pipe, and all I had in the pipe shed was a 6” piece so off I went in the morning to the Home Depot after the Tuesday FLEA MARKET” for the pipe, acorn nuts, a few “JAM” nuts, and a few other stops on the way home. Here are a couple of photos of me having fun…….., even in NJ.

p.s. Jim N: Did I say I need an IHC muffler for this with 1 1/2" pipe opening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IntakeAcorn7-19-2011.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	111086   Click image for larger version

Name:	IntakeAcorn7-19-2011 (2).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	111087   Click image for larger version

Name:	PreHeater7-19-2011.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	111088   Click image for larger version

Name:	PreHeater7-19-2011 (2).jpg
Views:	202
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	111089  

Last edited by Paul Spence; 07-20-2011 at 07:25:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:22:09 AM
Subscriber

Well, I'm still in NJ having fun , and off to the Lawyers in the afternoon for mundane things I need to take care of. In the meantime, as one thing leads to another (again), I decided to fit the S/S gear on the S/S. It just took some time to polish off a few high spots and it now slides on/off fairly easily. I'll have to make up a new, or retrofit the old key to the shaft as the keyway in the gear is about 0.010 to deep and it slides in and out easily. I think I know how to fix that with a piece steel shim stock. In the meantime, I'm waiting patiently for the S/S crankshaft drive gear to get done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SideShaftGearFitting7-19-2011.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	111090   Click image for larger version

Name:	SideShaftGearFitting7-19-2011 (2).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	111091   Click image for larger version

Name:	SideShaftGearFitting7-19-2011 (3).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	111092  

Old 07-20-2011, 08:13:02 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts

Paul:

You might want to slowly turn the engine over once the sideshaft is in place to see just how much side force is exerted on it from the increased length of the valve stem from the acorn nut.

A better solution may be to grind a radius on the rocker arm and make sure both contact points are smooth.

Anyway - continue to have fun even if it's in New Jersey.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 07:04:05 AM
Subscriber

Not much happening except for removing more paint with the needle scaler. Just to hot outside to do much more with PPE on . I made a few piles of chips before shutting down for the day and going inside where it's a whole lot cooler .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Paintremoval7-21-2011 (2).jpg
Views:	190
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	111253  

Old 07-23-2011, 07:13:35 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,244 Times in 314 Posts

Paul looking good. How soon is your new gear showing up? I want to see this engine run.

KK
Old 07-23-2011, 12:41:44 PM
Subscriber

KK: Gear = Canandaigua .

Old 07-24-2011, 09:47:41 PM
Subscriber

Since it was really, really hot the other day, and since the M-K 50 4 feed doesn’t work anyway, I pulled it apart after I got the screw that was used in place of the taper pin to hold the pump shaft in place out. Sure looks like someone had it all apart and reassembled it with broken parts. Every ***712-732 R*** pump eccentric piece has a broken tab(see photo 2). The eccentric pieces 713-732 L are all OK. The bottoms of the pumps are really rusted, with no screens on the pumps. Only one pump was loose and all the feed adjusters were rusted, stuck in place and non functional. I got to thinking , I have a bigger M-K 50 back in the shed someplace that I bought a few years back just for parts. After finding it, it appears to be a newer model with a brass coupling inside held on with a split ended pin? After I got the pin out and the shaft past the burr on the coupling I got all six pumps out. 5 out of the 6, 712-732 eccentrics look ok. The 6 feed unit had been shot with a .22 and you can see the bullet in the last photo. After cleaning them up we’ll see how many good ones I have. I went back to 4 feed unit and stripped it down in preparation for glass beading, cleaning and then sealing the inside with red glyptol I have around here someplace. Looks like I might be able to rebuild the original with the parts I have on hand . We’ll see what happens in the next few days. Just a side note, I never had one of these apart, and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be . I’ll be extra careful to clean one pump at a time and oil them good on assembly. In the meantime, I found an oiler out in Michigan that has been rebuilt for a reasonable sum .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M-K4Feed.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	111434   Click image for larger version

Name:	M-K4Feed (2).jpg
Views:	232
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	111435   Click image for larger version

Name:	M-K6Feed.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	111436   Click image for larger version

Name:	M-K6Feed (2).jpg
Views:	239
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	111437  

Old 07-25-2011, 11:49:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,441 Times in 1,635 Posts

Whew Paul, that baby has a lot of parts in it. I've never had one of those things apart and don't think I want to tackle one of them. When I ever get around to working on the Mogul I'm going to let a Madison Kipp "rebuilder" get ahold of the one on it.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:55:34 AM
Subscriber

I have 3 out of 10 M-K pumps loose (pumps and eccentrics) with one more to go (I need 4) . I think I can get another one out of the lot . In the meantime I removed the sight glass, old paint, and sealed the inside of the M-K 50 4 feed with Red Glyptal, and worked on the top cover a bit. I have to use the original M-K 50-4 feed case because it has a left hand drive looking at the oil feed ports. Most have a right hand drive looking at the oil feed lines. They are different ……….. Well back to working on the pumps and eccentrics before something else gets in the way, again .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M-K PUMPS.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	111675   Click image for larger version

Name:	M-K PUMPS (2).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	111676  

Old 07-28-2011, 02:21:17 PM
Registered-I

Paul, what a great project. Your doing a fine job. Thanks for the writeup and photos. I too would like to come and see you start it for the first time. Please keep us updated, if I can be of any help just ask.
Kevin
Old 07-29-2011, 10:55:08 PM
Subscriber

Today I got one more, good eccentric piece (712-732) out of the bunch of 10 I had, and now have the 4 operating pumps and eccentrics I need. I made gaskets for, and placed packing in the drive and intermediate end bearing assemblies. Today I carefully assembled the pumps in the case on the polished eccentric shaft. It went well as long as things were not initially tightened too much . I got the ratchet and drive pawl pinned in place, and made a couple of gaskets for the oiler sight glass, and installed it. After I got it together and tightened things up, all the eccentrics rotated smoothly. The next thing was to put in a quart of oil and see what happens when I operate the drive lever. I initially set the flow rate on each pump to maximum by turning the adjusters counter clockwise. After a few turns it was pulling up oil and then pumping oil out the feed elbows . At the maximum flow rate I’m getting 10 drops of oil per pump, per pump cycle. It’s just another step in getting the Titan closer to running while having “FUN” in NJ on the way through .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M-K PUMPS (3).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	111763   Click image for larger version

Name:	M-K PUMPS (5).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	111764  

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 04:01:01 PM
Subscriber

The Titan S/S M-K 50 4 feed bracket was cleaned and mounted back on the engine. What’s next except to put the M-K 50 4 feed on . Once that was done, I cleaned the original copper oil lines, blew them out and connected them up with the left one feeding the connecting rod, the next one to the cylinder/piston, the next to the left main bearing and the last to the right main bearing. I had to bend the lines just a wee bit to fit them. Before the final end connections I operated the oiler until oil came out of the lines to make sure the pumps were really working in place, and yes, oil came out, all over . The M-K tag was missing and the fill cap was in bad shape so I used the ones from the 6 feed unit. Here are a few photos of the progress, and with just a little bit of work on it most every day, it’s coming along nicely. I think it looks better without the cracked and peeling paint (still more to remove) that was on it. Now where is that gear so I can get this project done? Guess I need to make a call this week………
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Progress7-31-2011 (6).jpg
Views:	249
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	111847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Progress7-31-2011 (4).jpg
Views:	262
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	111848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Progress7-31-2011 (2).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	111849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Progress7-31-2011 (3).jpg
Views:	271
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	111850  

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 09:17:34 PM
Subscriber

I made the “GEAR” call, and the crankshaft gear will not be ready for the Canandaigua show . Gee, it’s only been a few weeks since I ordered it. Seems like it has been longer and he said his main work is really busy, but he will get to it……. Anyway, I have a few more things to do so I got busy . I removed the paint on the governor and mounted it on the engine and worked on the throttle linkage. Things didn’t quite line up/fit right because the governor arm was slightly “BENT”. I pulled the governor off and took it to the heat bender and straightened out the governor arm a bit. Now things lined up and functioned freely. As I was doing this, I noticed that throttle shaft housing had wear marks from a return spring that was probably in that missing can of parts that was never found. I can’t order one, so I got out he trusty spring winder, some heavy piano wire, and after three tries with various mandrels and wire I got one made. Sure am glad I have that handy tool . Now to just finish it making sure it provides enough tension to hold the throttle valve in place. Right now with the spring, the throttle valve closes nicely without the governor springs in place. The existing governor spring that’s not right will be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GovThrottle.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	112047   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThrottleSpring (2).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	112048   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThrottleSpring.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	112049   Click image for larger version

Name:	ThrottleSpring (3).jpg
Views:	210
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	112050  

Last edited by Paul Spence; 08-02-2011 at 09:27:52 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 09:23:54 PM
Subscriber

I kept moving the 225# flywheel around so I put it back on the crankshaft just to get it out of the way . I repacked the plunger on the fuel pump and stuck it on . It was getting dark and the sketters are out forcing me inside to have some more fun in NJ on the way through .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FlwOn.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	112045   Click image for larger version

Name:	FuelPump.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	112046  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Spence For This Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 12:40:48 PM
Registered-I

Paul, is the gear being made local? The machine shop across the street from me is a small shop that might be able to help you.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:12:28 PM
Subscriber

The other day while I was working on the Governor/throttle linkage, I started fussing with the gas (starting), Kerosene (running), brass two way valve in the cast iron mixer that was stuck good as I indicated way back in post 14 on 3-16-2011. I never had good luck freeing these combination valves in anything I’ve ever owned, but I’ll try it again. I went to work carefully on it by just soaking it for a few days with no luck. Today I got rammy , pulled out the heat wrench along with the BFH. After about a half hour of heating, cooling, PB Blaster, smoke and flames and gently pounding with the BFH I think I detected a wee bit of movement . After another round of heating, cooling, PB Blaster, smoke and flames the tapered fuel plug cup (H4223) gas (starting), Kerosene (running), brass two way valve in the cast iron mixer was moving freely, just like that . All I can say is I’m sure glad that it came loose. After I got the fuel cup plug out I glass beaded the whole mixer and valve. I need to braze up the kerosene mixer cup plug handle (H268) that was broken and the piece lost before I ever got it. Don’t even ask, because, YES, I'm still having fun, even in NJ , on the way through.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GasKeroValve.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	112328   Click image for larger version

Name:	GasKeroValve (2).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	112329   Click image for larger version

Name:	GasKeroValve (5).jpg
Views:	164