Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Start/Run/Shut Dow Procedure for FM 3HP,

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 876 times

Old 07-27-2014, 02:47:06 PM
Registered

Default Start/Run/Shut Dow Procedure for FM 3HP,

The museum I volunteer at has a 3 HP FM Z "Throttle Governed" engine dating to 1922.

Was wondering if anybody has a short text document associated with the start up, running (throttle adjusting) and shut down, of this engine, because I am lazy and do not want to transcribe a lot of words from a PDF file on engine, besides I'm a realty slow, poor typist.

The intent is to have a "procedure" (document) so we do not have to go through all the head scratching every time we want to start it...

Thank You!

Dale
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2014, 03:09:58 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Start/Run/Shut Dow Procedure for FM 3HP,

Have a picture of this engine?

Which mag does it have? A geared one or the trip lever?

Does it have the starting reservoir in the mixer than an external fuel tank? Will you be running gas in both tanks or starting gas then going kerosene?

Is this belted to something?

Can you stand anywhere around the engine?
Old 07-27-2014, 03:33:24 PM
Registered

It has Bosch AB33 magneto (trip type) .... Will probably run gas in both tanks or just gas in reservoir for very short runs....

IT will be belted to a rock (jaw) crusher....

Dale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine-crusher.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	201340  
Old 07-27-2014, 04:18:36 PM
Registered-II

Looks like you have the same engine as mine. I will have to look and see how far open I run the valves on my mixer, I'm pretty sure its less than one turn on either one. I start with the staring tank. It takes a lot more spinning to get fuel up the long line from the main tank.

My process will likely be harder for yours because of the cart attached to yours. Turn on the oilier then what I do is set the starting mixer and stand over the flywheels from the crank end. Pull it over till I see the trip lever on the mag just about to release. I then let it roll back just a little and adjust my grip if needed and then give it a fast hard pull so the mag trips. Most of the time it takes 2 or 3 of these to get it running. Sometimes it will fire the first time so be ready for that. 90% of my grip is on the outside of the flywheel, don't get any body parts deep into the spokes or you could loose em.

Once its running you can adjust the mixer so its running well. I usually give it a minute or two that way then open up the main valve and be ready on the starter valve. It usually takes several revolutions to get fuel in the main side. Once it starts to cough you should be able to close the starer valve and then fine tune the main one.

Shut down just close the valve. Turn off the oil.