Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Projects
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Projects Nuts and Bolts Tear-down, Restoration and reassembly of old engines with photos. Edited in Gas Engine Discussion and moved here by merit or recommendationn.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Projects

Economy 1 1/2 hp timing

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 395 times

Old 09-08-2019, 05:32:07 PM
Registered

Default Economy 1 1/2 hp timing

Anyone know how to time a 1 1/2 hp economy. Seems to be firing at bottom of stroke. Is there marks on the gears?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2019, 05:57:56 PM
Registered

Default Re: Economy 1 1/2 hp timing

Vern, my Economy 1 3/4 hp has a mag. I can look for marks tomorrow. it is all apart, waiting to be sand blasted.
chances are you have the cam gear 180 degrees out.
when setting the cam gear [in relation to the crank gear]: the exhaust valve needs to be open as the piston moves towards Top Dead Center, then closing just after TDC on the down stroke. the roller then needs to be on the heal of the cam lobe as the piston reaches TDC on the compression stroke. when the piston is then at TDC, the marks [or dots-whatever] should line up [between the cam gear and the crank gear.
Rod in AZ
Old 09-08-2019, 07:33:50 PM
Registered

Thanks. It was running on buzz coil, but I hand the mag rebuilt actually the guy rebuilt an old style Webster and included a new push rod. From looking at it I figured I either had to pull the head or disassemble the governor and pull the cam gear out in order to get the new push rod. On. I marked the gears and think they went back correctly but it seems to be firing at the wrong time near bottom of stroke and goes backwards. I am going to check into retard lever,
Old 09-08-2019, 08:54:23 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Anyone know how to time a 1 1/2 hp economy. Seems to be firing at bottom of stroke. Is there marks on the gears?
There is an arrow cast into the face of the cam gear. This arrow is aligned with the center of the crankshaft keyway.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:28:15 PM
Registered

assume that your 1 1/2 is the same or close to my 1 3/4...
the cam gear does have a triangle cast into it, near the teeth, on the opposite side of the cam lobe. the flywheel has a triangle cast into it on the inside and at the outer part of the wheel. if you cant eyeball it, use a straight edge and chalk to draw a line to the crank. then you should be able to get the cam gear mark close.
Rod in AZ
Old 09-16-2019, 11:36:13 PM
Registered

Crank and cam gear were correct. The push rod needed a lot of adjusting to get the mag to fire close to top dead center. I don’t have a manual on how to adjust the mag spark but it starts and runs now.