Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Rebuilt Wico OC, intermittent spark

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 385 times

Old 10-17-2019, 09:49:01 PM
Registered

Default Rebuilt Wico OC, intermittent spark

Hey all,

Recently rebuilt two OC's with new coils and condensers. The first one I rebuilt will make a 5/8" spark reliably and usually jump a 3/4" gap. The second one I did will only jump 1/2", and even then won't fire every time. I cleaned and filed the points several times and re-adjusted the points gap so they just start to open with the armature 3/32" from the cores. All the electrical connections on the primary and secondary and wire brushed nice and clean and don't have excessive resistance as checked with a multimeter. Am I missing something, or perhaps the magnets are just a little weaker on this one?

Thanks,

connor
The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2019, 06:38:41 AM
Registered

Default Re: Rebuilt Wico OC, intermittent spark

When you say you don't have 'excessive resistence' how much are you talking?
Is the magneto completely oil free inside and all wires insulated properly so that a spark cannot leak to ground?
What point gap are you using? SOmetimes like this when you work on identical magnetos they end up being totally different. Coils may be slightly different and then that makes a difference too. The same for condensors, might have a slightly different value and give different result.
I would start again and double check all your readings on the new parts and ensure they are within spec. Remove the points and clean under them and clean and re-clean the points and then gap them. Sometimes coils can be a bit faulty even from new and is why if possible they should be checked out on a test bench or use a machine to check the coil first, then heat it using power and re check after 5 - 10 minutes while the coil is warm. If there is a drop in readings or performance this is your problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 07:33:54 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by con-rad View Post
Hey all,

Recently rebuilt two OC's with new coils and condensers. The first one I rebuilt will make a 5/8" spark reliably and usually jump a 3/4" gap. The second one I did will only jump 1/2", and even then won't fire every time. I cleaned and filed the points several times and re-adjusted the points gap so they just start to open with the armature 3/32" from the cores. All the electrical connections on the primary and secondary and wire brushed nice and clean and don't have excessive resistance as checked with a multimeter. Am I missing something, or perhaps the magnets are just a little weaker on this one?

Thanks,

connor
Conner,

If you haven't done it already, either swap the cover from the "good" magneto or remove the cover and check the spark from contact to contact just in case you might have a bad high tension terminal. If the cover is off, you also may be able to see if it's sparking to ground from someplace it shouldn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirk Taylor For This Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 11:19:21 AM
Subscriber

Haven't worked on one of those in awhile but if I'm thinking of the right mag the armature not breaking cleanly every time can cause intermittent spark similar to the EK mag. Slop in the slide pin/armature. Just another thought.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:32:15 PM
Registered

By excessive resistance, i mean that each connection was no more than an ohm. All the wires inside are new and soldered on, with the exception of the factory screw terminals.

the points gap is adjusted so they just start to open with the armature 3/32" from the cores.

I checked the armature guide play, it is the same between the so-so mag and the good one.

Good thought on the cover, i'll try swapping them. I did clean the spring contacts, but i'll try changing it out anyway.

Connor
The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 10:24:24 AM
Subscriber

Kirk beat me to it the lead out towers can leak off some voltage without being a complete path to ground same as the EK and PR Wico's and for a shameless plug they are available at and made by Lightning Magneto
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitch Malcolm For This Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 10:41:57 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcdonald View Post
Haven't worked on one of those in awhile but if I'm thinking of the right mag the armature not breaking cleanly every time can cause intermittent spark similar to the EK mag. Slop in the slide pin/armature. Just another thought.
Had an EK that was driving me crazy. Found that guide pin on the armature had a very slight bend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Page For This Post: