Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Engine horror stories

this thread has 62 replies and has been viewed 10947 times

Old 08-13-2007, 02:40:39 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Engine horror stories

favorite sayin, pull dipstick before crankin,, was given a rebuilt old oliver tractor in a field,, hey some new fuel , new battery , crankerup, ran like a top, forgot to pull the stick first , vrd 265 non pressurefed rod bearings , locked it up, that wasn't long ago, and i was even sober
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2007, 03:41:35 AM
Registered-III

lol horror thread..

yep, had some long lists of happens ... but I would guess worse horror is my Ice Racing - had forget tighten oil plug while I drove to getting to line up and saw oil dripping long way from my spot I turn around quicky and keep low rpm and saw dripping begin point and found plug in snow (on Frozen lake) and rush to fill up some oil before back to line up, but I got enough time just right before my open class turn.

also one time drained my 94' chev 350 stepside, I wait an hour later for completely drained, I walk back to fill up 6qts and I begin realize something I missed? d'oh I forget to put drain plug back in. most of fresh oil gone into mixed with old oil in large pan. I grab another 6 more qts.

also more others, cliff stories.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:36:36 PM
Registered-II

I was 14-15 yrs old and I had a mini bike.
This was back in the mid sixties and a friend of mine also had one and we both did not know anything about engines.
At some point we decided we wanted to go faster.
We had no instruction, we knew very little about mechanical things, we went to work on the poor little mini bikes.
First, removed the governor, instant improvment.
Remove all sheet metal and fan blades from flywheel, very good improvment.
We decided the muffler and tiny carb. was limiting rpms, straight pipe and chain saw carb.
Shave some metal off the head, reduce the valve stem dia. in the port area.
Now they would really scream.
Then to our horror, we started breaking connecting rods.
We tried everything to stop that from happening, but we were not willing to give up our "modifications".
The rods would always break when you closed the throttle after high rpm. We would buy rods 6-8 at a time.
I'll never forget that feeling when the first rod broke and punched a hole in the side, oil everywhere.
That was the end of the lawn mower engine days, we started using kart engines and then moved on to motorcycles.

Robert