Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Just learned how to hold a spark plug while the engine is running.

this thread has 39 replies and has been viewed 10785 times

Old 07-12-2006, 09:23:02 PM
KDewees1

Default Re: Just learned how to hold a spark plug while the engine is running.

When I was up in georgia visiting family (about 2 weeks ago) my uncle (who owns a shop made out of a 100 year old chicken house in Lawrenceville) had cranked up his John Deere (Which has a Kohler K-181 and was testing the spark.

He had a wrench in his hand and asked me if I could put it away for him so I went over there, I noticed that he had a tongue in cheek smile on his face and his arms were straining. I asked if anything was wrong and he said: 'nah'. So I grabbed the wrench and let out a HOWL. YEEEOOOOOUUUUCCCHHHHH!!!!!!! he laughed so hard, even while holding on to the spark plug. Now since I can hold onto the coil wire, I can fool my friends and family with the little lighters that shock ya' when you try and light em'.

~KD1
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2006, 12:49:08 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,730 Times in 4,276 Posts
Red face Re: Just learned how to hold a spark plug while the engine is running.

I had an old F-M magneto that was used to provide ignition foe a kerosene fired steam jenny. I brought it into the house, to clean the points, and of course, the kisd wanted to see what the 'neat thing dad had' actually did. I showed them how the mag made a neat 3/8" spark, when the drive wheel on the end of the armature shaft was turned. Big Mistake The first thing they did was to take a piece of bell wire, and promptly wired the neighbor's door handle. The neighbor was not pleased with the result. The next object of their attention was my wife's dinner table, and her chair. The dinner table was made of wood, but had a thin chrome strip around the outer edge. This was promptly charged, with the ground being another wire stratigically placed where one puts their butt on the seat. Only one problem with their efforts though - I saw what they had done, and wired their seats as well. The only smart one, so he thought, was my eldest son, who was 8 at the time. He didn't sit down at the table - he sat under it, with the mag in hand, and watched everyone else jump He got his though, as he gave the mag a last twirl, his head got too close to the chrome strip, and he got bit, right in the back of his head. There were a lot of unhappy campers at the dinner table that night.
Andrew
Old 10-05-2006, 08:17:57 PM
Registered-II

This one time .....at band camp ....LOL
Old 10-05-2006, 09:12:20 PM
Sky

LOL... the only thing i can do is laugh. LOL i've been shocked by a lot of engines though, there's some that will just give you a buzz and some that flat out knock yer socks off! LOL
Old 10-06-2006, 01:45:19 AM
Subscriber

When I was young and stupid I would stop running twin cylinder Maytags by first putting my thumbs on the jugs and then my fingers on the wires. It would ground them out and die. You need to make sure to get those thumbs grounded to the cylinder BEFORE you put the fingers on the plug wires.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:48:13 AM
Registered-II

Damn....I'm little league compared to some of you guys. The worst thing I did on purpose was put my tongue on the business end of a 9V battery when I was a kid.

In all seriousness, I did get 220v through both arms while working on an electric dryer. It knocked me across my family room, fell back wards over a coffee table, and landed on my sofa. The wife heard the commotion and came downstairs to "check" on me. She seen me lying on the sofa and asked me if I was finished "fixing" the dryer....lol. I do remember a distinct metallic taste in my mouth after the 220v, but I attributed that to my metal fillings becoming liquefied for a nano-second...
Larry
Old 10-07-2006, 03:03:01 AM
Registered-III

Thanks all for the laughs!

I only have one shocking experience that I'll admit to! We were at a crank up and I was trying to get one of my Maytag 92's started. Our resident trouble shooter and I had determined that it had a very weak spark and I didn't want to tear it apart there so I left it as a static display. Along comes my wife and asked what happened and I told her (somewhat disgusted because the weekend before it ran great) that it had really weak spark.
I proceeded to grab the plug wire and kick it over with my other hand, to show just how weak it was. Yeah right, it suddenly found religion and kicked be like a mule! It sat right there for the rest of the day! Everyone had a good laugh about that one though!

Steve
Old 10-09-2006, 12:55:43 PM
Defective Email Address

At about 9yrs old the throttle on my minibike stuck open so i thought i,d just pull the plug wire to kill the engine... between the shock and hitting the tree i dont know what hurt worse!
Old 11-04-2006, 10:33:46 PM
Registered-II

Exclamation Re: Just learned how to hold a spark plug while the engine is running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
I have tested many a coil, and or mag by holding the coil wire, and GENTLY turning the mag. I can usually tell if a coil, or condenser is bad, and with low tension mags, what kind of shape the system is in. i will not try to hold onto modern auto ignition system wires, especially the GM HEI - IT WILL KILL YOU Litterally. The GM HEI uses a much higher operating voltage than other manufacturers, and when it triggers, internal resonant frequencies generated by the coil WILL disrupt human heart rythem. If a person receives a shock from a GM-HEI system, and goes unconscious, check for pulse immediately, and begin CPR if nescessary. THIS IS NO JOKE Seriously, hanging onto a coil wire, and taking a full body path shock can be a serious matter, especially if they are young, or up in age, no matter what system you have. When I test a system, Current travel is thru 2 fingers on the same hand, whenever possible. It is possible to touch a spark plug wire, but you have to be totally dry (not sweating), in dry conditions (not a humid day), you must be insulated from any grounding point (in shorts, glued rubber soled shoes at least 3/8 Thick, and be standing on completely dry ground). there are still no guarentees that you won't be bit, and there ia a bonus - your body will now act like a condenser, ans will store a charge. The next thing you touch may complete your ground circut - and guess what - you get zapped! As much as 4 minutes later - in extremely dry conditions If you have no experiance with electricity, then leave it to professionals - it is not worth getting hurt. Oh by the way, 110-120, can lock you up - you can freeze while electrified. 177, 220, will burn you severly as it tosses you across the room. 440 will come to get you, and usually will remove the offending contact mamber, along with the limb it was attached to, with extreme heat and vaporization (it will literally melt your arms and or legs off!) Anything operating at 60 cycles per second (CPS or HZ) can be lethal - even 12 VAC! the CPC/HZ interferes with heart rythem. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE
Andrew
You beat me to the draw....NEVER HOLD ONTO A SPARK PLUG LEAD.... LIKE HE SAID, IT CAN KILL YOU...MY DAD WON'T LET ME TOUCH THE LEAD BECAUSE OF THIS...
Old 11-05-2006, 10:06:18 AM
Registered-III

When I was a kid, our neighbor would come over to the farm and do wiring for my grandfather.He never turned off the power as he said it's only 110.He seemed fine with it for many years.Well he didn't die from old age, he hung himself 3-4 times, finally succeded.I'm thinking the electric finally got to him.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:56:57 PM
Registered-III

In reading this post, it reminded me of two incidents regarding electrical shock which I would like to share with you.
The first one is about the Service Manager/Shop Foreman at an old Buick dealership/garage many years ago in Hanford, California. I believe his name was Mr. Nash. He would test the spark on an automobile by holding on to a spark plug. Then, he would ask someone else to do the same thing. Of course, it would lay them out with the shocking results. I asked my dad how Mr. Nash could grab a spark plug and not feel the electrical shock. My dad told me to watch Mr. Nash's leg and foot when grabbed a plug. That is when I noticed that he would lift one leg off the floor before grabbing a plug. Then dad explained that Mr. Nash had lost a leg and he used a wooden leg. When he went to hold on to a plug he would put his weight on the wooden leg and lift his good leg off the the floor. He had to make sure that he didn't establish a ground return by touching some other part of the car.
The second memorable incident was aboard the submarine, USS Toro-SS422. One of the ship's radars went belly up. As an Electronic Technican, it was my job to get it working again. I had just got off of a four hour watch and I was a little tired. After a quick analysis, the magnetron needed to be changed out. In my haste, I didn't discharge modulator's capacitor bank. Need less to say, I received the shock of my life when I began to remove the magnetron. My reaction threw me back into the high pressure manifold and some how I received a knot on my elbow which took several weeks to subside.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:09:26 PM
Registered-I

We used to play with electricity wonder nobody got hurt. Learned to kill a Model A by touching all four wire terminals on the distributor at the same time.
you learn (finally) not to touch the fender with your legs That brings me to a question, I have an older Hobart 300 amp dc. welder with a 110v dc power plug on it. I have also heard dc is much more deadly than ac. Anybody have any knowledge on this?
Thanks
Old 11-05-2006, 11:33:09 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Niemeyer View Post
At about 9yrs old the throttle on my minibike stuck open so i thought i,d just pull the plug wire to kill the engine... between the shock and hitting the tree i dont know what hurt worse!
I did the same thing with my go kart... got it stopped just as I hit the fence..
We always had the "weed burner" electric fences on our ranch, and one of the wires ran right above a water hydrant... one day the neighbor kid was over and got a drink from the hydrant, then stood up and layed that wire right between his ear and his crewcut head... he just stood there, holding the hydrant, blinking every time the juice hit him!! Finally he swatted the wire away like a bee, and looked at us and said, "wow, if ya left that there for a while, it could hurt!" A few years later, I saw the same guy kill a model A John Deere by grabbing both plugs and holding until it stopped. We were always getting our "city" cousins and kids from school to see who could pee the furthest and let them pee on the wire... I wonder why we aren't all dead???
JH
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,990 Times in 3,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMade View Post
...We found out, thought, that if a bunch of people held hands with the last one touching the plug, not only would the whole group get shocked, but seemed like the further down the line you got, the more intense the shock. I don't know if that was reality or perceptions....and hardly anyone died.
I love the last part of that one....

Like someone else pointed out, I always heard it was the amps that killed, not the volts. 40,000 volts from an older 1970s vintage automotive coil would Zap you pretty good, but it didn't have enough amps to do serious harm. Been zapped by a few of them years ago while leaning over fenders adjusting the timing only to find a couple bad plug wires. Don't know about the later HEI units though? I've killed a few lawn mower engines by jerking the plug wire off, but I never held onto it if I didn't have to.

One of the 'good Ol boys' in our engine club would occasionally walk up to someones tractor with a good hot mag on it and kill it by laying his fingers on the plugs. I never tried that, and don't ever plan on trying it, at least not on purpose.

I've been tickled many times by 110 volts, thrown back 20 feet once by 440 volts, and almost struck by lightning twice.

Had an old maintence guy at work that forgot to discharge a condensor on one of the heat treat furnaces before working on it. Someone saw the bright blue light from him getting Zapped by it and called the emergency squad to revive him. The next thing he remembered was setting on a skid smoking a cigarette wondering why everyone was standing around him looking at him. They told him he'd been electrocuted and he said "No I wasn't" and got up and went back to work. A few weeks later the machine was acting up again and after he fixed whatever the problem was when the supervisor asked what he did, he got a grin on his face and told them he just layed his hand on it and infused some of the power back into it.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:10:01 AM
Registered-II

im 16 and in a small engines class, several times in the class we have had to repair some broke-down mowers. one game our AG teacher likes to play is called "ring of fire" where 6-10 guys get in a line, one puts his finger in the spark plut boot, and another person gives the rope a good steady pull.

great reactions! jumping and cussing, and our Ag teacher just laughs and goes back to work!
Old 12-18-2010, 03:36:49 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,072 Times in 651 Posts

This is from an earlier thread.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...electric+fence
Old 12-18-2010, 06:44:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,148 Times in 2,050 Posts

I have an old telephone generator that I used to take to school, science teacher had us all stand in a circle and hold hands, 1 person at each end of circle was holding a wire. Science teacher would crank the handle while we dared each other to let go

I used to build "Jacob's Ladders" from old neon transformers, one of my friends had NO problem grabbing both leads and just smiling

A few years ago power co. guys had to fix a bad connection in my meter box, shutting power off was a tad too much trouble, so the guy started cutting through insulation with a pocket knife, there was a flash, pocket knife got red hot and he got knocked out, my comment was "I told you"
The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Old 12-18-2010, 02:22:48 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,388 Times in 1,155 Posts

a couple years ago at portland, i saw rosevink and winland shocking each other with a aviation start up mag. talk about hot. i think they were doing this to each other when one fell asleep in the chair. winland locked it up in his truck before too long
Old 12-18-2010, 10:34:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,072 Times in 651 Posts

One year at the Mississippi Valley Flywheelers show I saw a man take a Maytag single. He had it running. He knelt down with it between his knees. He removed the plug wire, held it in is hand and had the other hand (finger only) on the plug and it kept on running. Then this superman stuck the plug wire in his mouth, let go with the hand the wire was in and the maytag kept on running. Never understood that but it was fun to watch!
The Following User Says Thank You to JHFoster For This Post:
Old 12-26-2010, 11:33:27 AM
Registered-I

Wow ! Thats a neat Trick.What, are you trying to be the next
David Blain ???? You Keep that up & You'll be able to be buried
in a Pine Box But the only downfall to that is that you'll be in it
permanitally. No Come backs to try it again.
I must add: Its not a Trick.Its a Deathwish!!! Your uncle must not
like you very much ,Huh ??