Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Has Engine Quality Improved?

this thread has 44 replies and has been viewed 4510 times

Old 01-13-2011, 10:05:25 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Has Engine Quality Improved?

Short Circuit, Agreed on the synthetic oil. I use it on all of my air cooled lawn & garden equipment. I've found that the 20W50 works great, high enough viscosity to prevent ring blow by, but excellent lubrication at high temperature operation. I've torn a few older engines apart for inspection and they look like new inside.. I also use K&N filters in my 2 Briggs push mowers. Regular maintenance and even the newer engines will last a lifetime ! My personal opinion only.. !
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 10:57:20 PM
CaseHead

By American, it's the right thing to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggs Man View Post
CaseHead, I just sent a message to Customer Service via the Briggs web-site expressing my disappointment with their Chineese outsourcing.

I can live with 10% of their engines being made in Japan, typically Japaneese products are good quality.

Quite honestly, it shames me to see "Made in China" under the Briggs & Stratton label. I can assure you it will damage their future sales.

I'm sure they don't give a rats a$$ about what I think, but it felt good to get it off my chest !!
Old 01-15-2011, 10:34:30 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,733 Times in 4,278 Posts
Exclamation Re: Has Engine Quality Improved?

In talking with my son, who works for a major shop in the area, It seems that B&S has been having a bit of trouble lately. Their twins have been having issues with the valve trains and the heads. Seems that poor design is causing valve guide performance, leading to head replacement. Lately, a new problem has arisen. Quality control.

Several recent engine replacements blew up shortly after installation, by the shop where my son works. Major damage to internal parts! Upon tear down, some extra parts were found inside the block. As the work was done by a younger worker, it was supposed that he had been clumsy in his work habits, contamination the worksite. About a week later, my son was prepping a replacement B&S engine for installation, when in lifting the engine out of the shipping box, he heard something rattling inside the block. He asked the boss to listen, and a distinct rattle could be heard when the engine was topped side to side. A call was made to B&S, asking for a tear down, warrenty work, and B&S agreed the engine should be torn down. Lo and behold, upon removing the sump plate, a 3/4" long x 3/8" fine thread bolt was found in the bottom of the sump!, same as in the 2 blown up engines. It could not be ascertained where these bolts came from, but my son thinks they were used to carry the crankshaft during assembly, and that they were dropped into the blocks by careless workers. Since then the shop has found 4 more engines with these bolts in the crankcase. One other engine had a different issue: after installation, the engine was set up and started. Immediately the engine revved to full throttle, and raced ar full speed, regardless of throttle setting. Shutting off the kill switch had no effect, and my son ended up pulling the hi tension wire off the plug to kill the engine. He got bit real good for his efforts! On tear down, it was found that the kill wire was never attached to the mag, and the governor was severely damaged at assembly. My son says it looked like a hammer had been used on the govermor. It seems that it was out of position when the sump plate was installed, and that plate was beaten into position when it was installed. Possible sabotage??? Has anyone else run into these issues? This shop is a major repair/warrenty facility, doing in excess of $2 1/2 million in work and sales annually. It does see a lot of work, but all in all, this amount of factory carelessness seems to be worse than usual.

Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 01-15-2011, 10:42:37 PM
CaseHead

Hey Andrew;

You sure pose a convincing argument for bringing back ALL manufacturing back to this Country. You cannot make a person care about their job , if they don't already.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:20:33 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Daihatsu Briggs & Stratton (DBS) - In an effort to stave off Japanese competition during the 1980s, B&S entered a 50/50 joint venture with the Daihatsu Motor Company in Japan. This joint venture was notable for the manufacture of vertical & horizontal crankshaft engines from 12.5 to 22 hp under the Vanguard brand. Today the plant employs roughly 100 people on two shifts and manufactures Vanguard V-twin engines ranging from 14 to 36 hp.

Andrew, Very good information, thanks for sharing that. I was just curious, the Vangards were initially made in Japan starting in 1987 and had a very good reputation for many years among the small engine market. Does your son know if they are still made in Japan, or have they been outsourced to China. Perhaps you could ask him. The QC problems you described are typical of Chinese factories.