Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs and Stratton RC (1931) Restoration.

this thread has 53 replies and has been viewed 11994 times

Old 02-04-2013, 07:20:07 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Briggs and Stratton RC (1931) Restoration.

Well, I can't put it back in there, it's breaking up into tiny little bits & will probably end up choking the oil pump filter.

I'm sure I've got plenty of other stuff I can put in there.

I've looked into other breather filters available over here, & it's all far too modern. I think a Z type one would still be quite expensive. I'm sure I will find something.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16:03 PM
Registered-I

I spent the entire afternoon sorting out & cleaning up the workshop. Now we can actually move in there I can get on with this one.

Before I started on that though I put the cowling backplates on & turned the engine upside down. I've painted the underneath of the sump, & painted the last bit of the dummy flywheel, which I couldn't do yesterday as it was sitting on it.

I've just been out there, righted the engine (the paint's still a bit tacky on the underside, so I put it on some bits of batten, it's not like it will ever be seen & this bit was never painted originally anyway). Then I put the 2 flywheels back on. They look good in their silver paint.

Next I will give the few red bits their 2nd coat, then I will scrape off the last few bits of stubborn muck from the barrel, ready for a coat of Kurust tomorrow (or maybe tonight, see how I get on).

Once the barrel's coated & dry it can go back on. I've got to cut a new gasket for the base, then scrape some of the paint & primer off the top of the crank case where the barrel goes back on (I just painted roughly where I thought it would go).

I may well be ready for a start-up on Thursday, possibly Wednesday (although I'm under strict instructions not to start it until my brother is there & he can't make it until Thursday).

Still, plenty of little bits to do in the meantime.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52:34 PM
Registered-I

Here we go with some pics of tonight's exploits....

Flywheels back on....

Barrel, plus a few other bits coated with Kurust (I will have to give them a coat of high temp black as well, as there is old paint there I can't get to & the Kurust won't take to that)....

I also put the governor arm back on, made up a new throttle linkage (I snapped the old one getting it off the governor arm) & put the old (rather "home made" looking) governor spring back on....

Continued on next post....
Old 02-04-2013, 07:57:41 PM
Registered-I

Then I cut a new base gasket (using my tried & trusted method of coating the base in black grease to make an impression)....

& to top it all off I painted the stop button red....

I guess tomorrow I should paint the barrel, clean the head up & cut myself a new head gasket from some 1.5mm Tesnit (actually, it might be 2mm, can't remember now). I've looked at the old head gasket & it's just no good, it needs a new one. If anyone knows if/where I can get a proper one from then I would love to know.

I think the head is definitely beyond polishing, but I will have a go anyway.

I also de-coked the ports & cleaned up the area where the valve springs sit. So, it's all coming along really well. At this rate I'll have it running tomorrow! I will have to go out & get some fuel & some oil first though. (I probably won't have it running tomorrow).

As this one has been completely rebuilt & every trace of old oil has been removed & all the internals completely cleaned, I will be using a multigrade oil. I use a very basic (cheap) 20w50 oil (Comma Motorway), I don't think it contains any detergents (although may of these so called "Classic" oils still do) but if it does it will be very low levels, it's just a basic, mineral based, motor oil, & perfect for this engine. I will need to test the oil pump before the barrel goes back on as well (mustn't forget that job).
Old 02-05-2013, 06:11:05 PM
Registered-I

Really been cracking on today. I cut myself a new head gasket, I just hope it's up to the job (I believe this stuff is good for water cooled head gaskets, not sure about air cooled, it should be fine though)....

The Kurust on the barrel was dry, so I gave it a quick hone before masking off the top, bottom & other holes & spraying a couple of good coats of high-temp black (BBQ paint). It says to bake it on within 8 hours, but that won't be possible, so I will just have to take my chances (again, should be fine).

I replaced the oil drain plugs & put a litre of oil into the sump. I turned it over a few times & the pump is working. Only a dribble really, but I guess it's enough? It should amount to a good squirt when it's running, I suppose.

While the barrel was drying I cleaned up the head as best I could. It will still need painting silver at a later date, unless I can get it blasted or cleaned some other way (maybe cavitation cleaning or that sonic cleaning? I would rather it wasn't painted, I always think silver painted ally heads look a bit naff).
Anyway, once the barrel was dry I glossed the inlet tube & set about re-fitting the valves. I only gave them a quick grind, as they didn't look too bad. Once they were re-fitted with springs & stuff I decided it was time to get the barrel re-fitted....

Then came the valve clearances. I've no idea what they should be, so I set them to a slightly loose .010". They must be the most awkward valve clearances to adjust, especially when half the stuff in the way is covered with wet paint!
But eventually they were done, I replaced the cover (forgetting to give it all a squirt of oil in there, must remember to do that before I start her up) & put the head back on.

Then came the carb & governor arm. This was another PITA job! But after I worked out which way round everything went I had it back on....

Continued on next post....
Old 02-05-2013, 06:13:59 PM
Registered-I

On went the cowlings, & the breather tube, & here I am....

I've been playing around with where the fuel tank & HT lead are going to go, & haven't made up my mind yet. Next I need to get some more oil, get some fuel & strap it to my engine test bed (which has a fuel tank attached) for a test run.

I will fit the fuel tank at some later date, it will require some new fittings fabricating.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:43:21 AM
Registered-II

If you want that cylinder head cleaner, start with 200 grit sandpaper, if you like what that does, do it again with 400, a true pain, but the results are worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Restofire For This Post:
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38:23 AM
Sponsor

It could very well be moss, as in the type that grows on oak trees in the south. They used it for lots of things. I (or someone else here) could send you some to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restofire View Post
The material is refered to as Moss in the repairmans manual for out of production engines 1919 - 1981, so your likening it to grass isn't that far off.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15:35 PM
Registered-I

Thanks for the offers of Moss, for now I've just put a piece of fine brass gauze in there, but I think I will eventually go for a nylon pot scrubber from a kitchen store, or maybe I will think of something else (more than likely I will leave the gauze in there).

Anyway, I have finally got this one running! I first started it yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon, but it wasn't all plain sailing....

After a lot of rope pulling I was getting nowhere. I decided there had to be something wrong with the timing, as all I was getting was the occasional pop back through the carb (maybe something to do with the idle spark on these engines?).

So, off came the cowlings, off came the flywheel & off came the head. I checked the valve timing, & it's fine, I then checked the ignition timing & I wasn't happy with it. Thankfully, that very morning I had received an email with a copy of the "Briggs & Stratton Tune Up manual" which covered this engine. I had been reading it all morning, & I remembered reading that you could fine adjust the ignition timing by re-profiling the chamfer on the points arm pad thingy (that's a technical term, don't ya know). So I checked it & it did seem a bit worn, so I had a go at re-profiling it. It seemed to advance the ignition very slightly, but of course I had to re-gap the points as well. I just wish I had the proper Briggs tool to check it with. It seems very well retarded to me, the timing on these.

Well, I put it all back together & pulled it over a few more times. the carb seems to do nothing but drip fuel, so I was sure it was getting through, but still couldn't start it.

So I walked the dogs for half an hour or so, came back, pulled it again, still nothing, so I did it again & she fired! But stopped the moment I opened the choke. So i gave the needle a half turn outwards & pulled again & she went!

I must say it's a bit rough. I think the carb's pretty worn out, it doesn't like sudden throttle changes & is difficult to find a good setting on the needle, so maybe I should strip the carb down again & see if there's anything wrong.

But, once you find a certain setting on the carb, & a certain setting on the governor spring, she plods along quite nicely. She's a proper "thumper" as well. You can tell it's a long stroke engine, you can feel it thumping away through the ground under your feet, & she doesn't like being run on hard concrete.

I went back that evening & re-set the valve clearances, as I had seen from the Tune-Up manual that I had set them wrong. They are now both spot on. I also noticed the lubrication system is working very well. I hadn't put any oil in the valve spring area, & there's only a small hole from the bottom of the barrel through to there, but there was plenty of oil in there when I took the cover off, even after just a short run.

Right, here's some pics of her on my home made engine test-bed, with integral fuel tank (she'll stay on this until I fabricate some mounts for the new tank)....

There's more pics on the album as well....

http://photobucket.com/nutgonesbriggs

I will leave the final painting until the weather warms up a bit. Next I've got to sort out some tank mounts & something more permanent to fix it to. We won't be putting this one on a wheeled trolley. Although she's quite heavy (I can just about lift her, but it's more awkward than anything) I don't think it would suit a trolley. I think Ian & me are thinking something along the lines of a wooden frame, with stretcher style handles. More "skid" mounted.

I will get a video of her on the weekend & stick it on my YouTube channel.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:01:30 AM
Registered-II

Good going ! glad to see you get through all the problems that occur along the way. nice to see another model R back and running.
The Following User Says Thank You to Restofire For This Post:
Old 02-08-2013, 05:17:28 AM
Registered-I

I would love to know of any more model R's over here in the UK, I know of a few Z's & ZZ's.

I've found out a lot about Briggs & Stratton during this project, they made some very different engines back in the early days. I might even buy a copy of one of the books about the history of the company. I would love to own a few of the other early models, you just don't see that many of them over here.

Anyway, this one's not over yet. I've still got the patrol tank to mount up.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

I would also love to know a little of the history of this engine, & would really like to know why it came over in the first place & what it was running.
I thought it may have been bought over during the war to run one of the many pieces of small farm equipment, I know America donated quite a few engines for this kind of stuff, but generally people think they were brand new, I wonder how many would've been reconditioned engines? But this engine would've been a good 10 years old, even then.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:12:21 PM
Registered-I

So, Ian came over, with his eldest son (a young budding enthusiast) & we dragged this engine out to give it a bit of a run.

I took some more pics & even got a bit of a video. I will link to the video, but it's not very good. The video plays fine on my phone, but there's something going wrong with the upload to YouTube, it happened on my last one too. So I will have to plug the phone into the computer & do it that way.

Anyway, here goes....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nutgone For This Post:
Old 03-08-2013, 07:50:18 PM
Registered-I

I've been playing about with this one again over the past couple of days. I took the carb off a couple of weeks ago & have been slowly scraping all the paint off it. I realised partly why it didn't stick, because the metal was so dirty & crap. I think it really just goes to show what I've always said, "Don't paint carbs!" I've polished it up as best I can & given it a good clean out. It seems there are 2 tiny little holes for the idle jet, one just after the throttle butterfly & one actually on the butterfly, these help it go on & off idle without cutting out. Well, it seems both of them were blocked, so I cleaned them out & gave the whole carb a good once over.

I put it all back together & got her started, but she was still running very lumpy. Then Ian came round with his rev counter & she just died! I checked for a spark & there was none. After some testing I found this was the condenser. It still tested fine as a capacitor, but when tested with a Megger (insulation resistance tester) I could see that it had broken down internally.

It's an original condenser, so I pulled the guts out of it, soldered a modern capacitor in there & encapsulated it into the old case with some silicone instant gasket (ideal as it will withstand much higher temperatures & chemicals than normal silicone sealants).

I put it back together today & it's running much better, still not great but that's mainly due to the carb, it's knackered, & after 82 years who can blame it. I might have a go at building up the throttle spindle with JB Weld to see if I can make it seal better. Most of the wear seems to be on the spindle, rather than the bushes, it might improve things. I would rather add to the metal than go machining grooves for O rings or suchlike.

Anyway, the saga continues, & still I'm no further with making up some tank mounts. I think next job will be to make up the missing bit of cowl....

(Thanks to Rusty Iron for that pic)
I will probably make it from sheet aluminium as that's what I have most of.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:51:38 PM
Registered-I

I thought I would have a go at that spindle yesterday, I thought I would try building it up with JB Weld & turning it back down again in the hope it will seal better.

To start off I fashioned myself a quick lathe (kind of)....

Here's a shot of the spindle I took so I would get the bits back together correctly....

Anyway, the carb's back on the engine now....

& here's a shot of the decal, finally on the cowl (it's been peeled off & put back on several times, I just couldn't get it quite right)....

I won't know how well my carb work has done until Monday as I'm out all day tomorrow & it's too late to fire her up now.

EDIT:
I got back a bit earlier than expected today, so I fired her up.

Great news, she's running much better than before. I'm sure the spindle isn't exactly like new, & the bushes are fairly worn, but it's still much better than it was. Running much smoother now & picks up really well on change of throttle.

I suppose now I will have to re-adjust the needle settings on the main & idle jets, but there's not much to that job. Then I've really got to think about making up some tank mountings. I bought some arc welding rods at the autojumble today, which should be more suitable to the thinner metals & hopefully will work better on Ian's new cheap supermarket welder (I might dry them out in an oven first, as they were 2nd hand, but will probably be fine, just like to be on the safe side & improve my chances as much as possible). I just need to get some practise in now, then see about welding something up for it. (If my welding is ever up to it).