Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Clinton gasoline engine

this thread has 47 replies and has been viewed 7319 times

Old 09-28-2014, 01:54:11 AM
Registered-I

Default Clinton gasoline engine

Picked up a winter project today. A stuck Clinton. I think its gorgeous. Was a free thrown in with some other motors I bought. Anyone know a good source for parts?

The Following User Says Thank You to oyster bay man For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2014, 06:25:32 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Clinton gasoline engine

Hey, Oyster Bay man.

Look on the first page of this site when you log on and and click on the Sponsors page.

McDonald Carb and Ignition in Jefferson Georgia advertises that he has parts for all makes, check him out.

Advertise on the "for sale and Parts wanted" section of this site for what you need.

Clinton parts are out there somewhere.

Good luck.

Jhoward
Old 09-30-2014, 04:35:34 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
Hey, Oyster Bay man.

Look on the first page of this site when you log on and and click on the Sponsors page.

McDonald Carb and Ignition in Jefferson Georgia advertises that he has parts for all makes, check him out.

Advertise on the "for sale and Parts wanted" section of this site for what you need.

Clinton parts are out there somewhere.

Good luck.

Jhoward
Ok thanks for that advice. I actually think I spotted a small hole in the bore yesterday. So I may be selling parts rather than needing them now. At this point I dont know if its a show stopper or not. When I take the head off I'll have a better idea.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:01:23 AM
Registered-II

Larry Rarus has a great site at www.asecc.com/data/clinton/clinton-list. Best Clinton data I've seen. Also check out www.clintonengines.us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dick DeBuse For This Post:
Old 09-30-2014, 06:53:02 PM
Registered-II

I can usually find the parts I need on Ebay. Also check www.aircooledengpts.com. I have gotten some NOS Clinton from Jim Freshmans from this site.

Jim
Old 09-30-2014, 07:42:36 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick DeBuse View Post
Larry Rarus has a great site at www.asecc.com/data/clinton/clinton-list. Best Clinton data I've seen. Also check out www.clintonengines.us.
Thanks all. I think I will hold off on parts untill I see if I can get the piston moving and just how bad the bore is. Here are sum pics of what it looked like right after I opened it, after I wiped it down and the small hole I noticed in the side. Thats the thing that worries me the most. Seems like it leads into the exhaust area. Definitely not the bore so cant be that much of a show stopper right? One pic shows it filled with Marvels Miracle oil. I'll top it off everyday for a few days and see if I can move it. Keep you all posted.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:28:06 AM
Registered-I

Besides Liquid Wrench fluid I kept pouring over using a funnel topped off and recapturing for just a stuck valve to free with a vise grip on the valve head, some one said diesel fuel works too. See, I did not have enough Liquid Wrench fluid in the can to submerge it all so the week long project and a new valve and gap did work.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:53:06 AM
Subscriber

Is that the hole in the rightmost top picture? Is it more or less right between the inlet and outlet ports? If so, it is not a problem and might even benefit from being opened up a bit. Look over the block carefully; you might notice that there is an air passage between the cylinder part of the casting and the casting around both valve ports. There is a similar air passage in between the valve ports. The hole you see could be where that air passage breaks through. These castings are actually pretty complex - must have had some pretty elaborate cores.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:29:59 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezerbill View Post
Is that the hole in the rightmost top picture? Is it more or less right between the inlet and outlet ports? If so, it is not a problem and might even benefit from being opened up a bit. Look over the block carefully; you might notice that there is an air passage between the cylinder part of the casting and the casting around both valve ports. There is a similar air passage in between the valve ports. The hole you see could be where that air passage breaks through. These castings are actually pretty complex - must have had some pretty elaborate cores.
Yeah that hole is in the back of that squarish indent on the side of the block and looks as though it could go between the bore and the valves.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:13:32 PM
Registered-II

There is normally a small break/passage in the casting between the intake and exhaust ports. I mostly find them clogged with dirt/oil and other crud.

I use either Rust Buster or transmission fluid to free up an engine. A friend of mine uses Lime-Away.

A few days soaking and some persuasion with a block of pine and a hammer will help free it up. If the piston starts to move, turn the crank to bring the piston back up, tap some more. I haven't had a bore damaged from rust yet after removing the piston.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:46:04 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew56 View Post
There is normally a small break/passage in the casting between the intake and exhaust ports. I mostly find them clogged with dirt/oil and other crud.

I use either Rust Buster or transmission fluid to free up an engine. A friend of mine uses Lime-Away.

A few days soaking and some persuasion with a block of pine and a hammer will help free it up. If the piston starts to move, turn the crank to bring the piston back up, tap some more. I haven't had a bore damaged from rust yet after removing the piston.
Yes you are right about the passage. I realized I shouldnt have been hasty in soaking the bore without first checking out inside. The crank shaft or other things could have been causing the seizure so I opened it up. When I took off the shroud I could see right throught that small hole (pic in center). I guess had they filed it down it wouldnt have looked like a blow out. Lol. Well anyway it all looks fine in there so it is indeed looking like its the piston rusted to the bore. Which is good no? Its back to soaking.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Oh and I found that small screw driver inside the shroud. Free screw driver in my free engine!! Yes!!!! Haha
Old 10-03-2014, 04:16:05 AM
Registered-I

Day 3: Still soaking. I stuck a wooden dowel in last night and gave a few firm taps with a hammer on it straight down on the piston last night but no movement yet.

While we wait, can anyone tell me what model Walbro carb this might becon this Clinton? The number is pretty much scraped off.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:53:57 PM
Banner Sponsor

number will be stamped in not raised LMG ...
Old 10-04-2014, 08:00:38 AM
Registered-I

Yes its over to the right of the LMG and its stamped but its gouged out. I can read a 3 thats about it.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:15:55 AM
Registered-I

So I figured out finally these old Clintons open up from the bottom. Its soaking upside down now. Still stuck

Found these in the layer of sludge on the bottom of the crankcase what are they?
Old 10-05-2014, 01:04:01 AM
Subscriber

It looks like maybe the governor went gunny sack. Those look like some of the weights and an axle. Keep looking and you'll likely find some more bits somewhere.

If the parts stayed out of the gears and other "bad places", it might not be that big of a deal to replace.I'll be curious to see if either of your valves have rotators.

I have a Clinton that does except that my valves, springs and rotator(s) ?? are rusted beyond use and I haven't searched enough to find replacements.

Actually, mine had a governor problem too, but a different one. One thing that I learned before I shelved my project was that there were a couple different governors used, depending on the engine and mine either had the wrong type installed, the governor installed incorrectly, or maybe both.

I bought a couple project engines from the same fella and he was consistent in making mistakes on his repairs.

While I don't have the exact model of Clinton I'm referring too handy, it was on a Homelite generator and also had a ball bearing crankshaft. The first sign of trouble I noticed was the magneto side plate was cracked and pulsed in and out when the engine was rolled over due to the out of place governor interfering when things went 'round.

I bought the correct side plate on the second try but shelved the project before finding the valves and springs I need.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:07:40 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,006 Times in 699 Posts

Those are parts of the governor flyweights. I would highly recommend inspecting/repairing or replacing a broken governor before running the engine. Clinton engines must not have been very popular on Long Island as I have only come across a couple in all of the years I have been collecting. They seem to be very prevalent in Pennsylvania and upstate NY. Anyhow, like others have said, the engine did not seize up in one day, it will take time before it frees up. I recently picked up a small very rare 2 cycle engine which was thoroughly seized. On day 1, I stripped it down as much as I could, then dropped it into a 180* bath of Pblaster in my ultrasonic cleaner. I left it in there for days on end vibrating away. Every day I would take it out of the solution, and lightly tap the engine all about with a plastic hammer, then back in it would go. For three weeks I did this before I noticed that the piston moved. The next day I took it out of the cleaner, unbolted the rod, and the piston fell right out of place. It took another two weeks before the crankshaft started to turn. It is finally all apart, and had I not had that machine it would likely still be seized tight! I have come across two types of people who get seized engines, those who patiently soak, and others who resort to brute force. Usually those who use excessive force end up with lots of broken parts; yeah that's good and well if you have an engine you can easily get parts for, but most of the time that is not the case. Just take it slow and it will come free!

Chris
Old 10-05-2014, 08:45:20 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tron View Post
Those are parts of the governor flyweights. I would highly recommend inspecting/repairing or replacing a broken governor before running the engine. Clinton engines must not have been very popular on Long Island as I have only come across a couple in all of the years I have been collecting. They seem to be very prevalent in Pennsylvania and upstate NY. Anyhow, like others have said, the engine did not seize up in one day, it will take time before it frees up. I recently picked up a small very rare 2 cycle engine which was thoroughly seized. On day 1, I stripped it down as much as I could, then dropped it into a 180* bath of Pblaster in my ultrasonic cleaner. I left it in there for days on end vibrating away. Every day I would take it out of the solution, and lightly tap the engine all about with a plastic hammer, then back in it would go. For three weeks I did this before I noticed that the piston moved. The next day I took it out of the cleaner, unbolted the rod, and the piston fell right out of place. It took another two weeks before the crankshaft started to turn. It is finally all apart, and had I not had that machine it would likely still be seized tight! I have come across two types of people who get seized engines, those who patiently soak, and others who resort to brute force. Usually those who use excessive force end up with lots of broken parts; yeah that's good and well if you have an engine you can easily get parts for, but most of the time that is not the case. Just take it slow and it will come free!

Chris
Correct, I have not come across Clintons very often at all here on LI. Wondering if you would like to get together some time as small engines is a new hobby for me and I dont know anyone else into it that I can bounce ideas off of or learn from. I'd love to check out your shop. So anyway im wondering now if one of these weights could be the cause of the seizure. I only found the 3 and I cleaned out the bottom plate thoroughly. Perhaps I should take everything off and leave the piston dangling there.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:38:40 AM
Subscriber

If you look at the blow up photo of your engine's crankcase "innards" you can see part of the governor, mounted on the camshaft, in between the camshaft gear and the side of the crankcase.

There you can see what would likely be the other or another axle with the weights still intact. I can't remember if there are two axle/weight groups or three but the lost axle would have the same number of weights and that looks to be more than three.

I now recall that the governor on a bearing engine is a bit different than on a bushing style engine because of the protrusion of the bearing into the case required the governor weights to be ground to a different profile to avoid hitting the bearing when the governor was "balls out".

If it was my project, I'd be inclined to match mark the rod and cap, remove the cap, and see if I could remove the crankshaft without stressing anything or bend/breaking anything. If the crankshaft were out, then you could tackle the stuck piston in a different manner.

However.....you may not be able to remove the crank, depending on the angle of the rod, etc, so be ready to bolt everything back up.

With the crank out, the valve train won't be adding to difficulty moving the piston in case they are stuck too.....and you could more easily progress with disassembly in that area.

In the unlikely event that a governor part might be jammed in the gears, removal of the crank would help in that respect too. Your photos will sure help in putting it all back together.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:29:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,243 Times in 1,657 Posts

The picture in post 15 of the cam gear with governor weights still attached has 2 weights on that axle. Since there are 3 weights and 1 axle in the next picture, I'd say there is 1 weight and 1 axle still missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clinton B1290.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	207788  

I Can Probably Fix That