Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Clinton gasoline engine

this thread has 47 replies and has been viewed 7323 times

Old 01-23-2015, 12:32:10 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Clinton gasoline engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDr235 View Post
What did your engine come off of ? I have a engine that kinda looks like yours. Mine is a 4-1/2 hp model off a Trojan horse tiller.I believe it is from the early 1970s. It has a cast iron block. The gas tank was full of bad gas when i got it. I took it to work and flushed it out the tank and then glass beaded it. I have not tried to run it yet. It does have spark and good compression.

EvilDr235
I'm not positive but I think it came off a minibike. Or at least it was used for a minibike after it's original purpose. I found it buried in a place with probably over a hundred 60's and 70's minibike engines and parts. The owner bought out a few failed minbike/kart stores inventories and stored them away in the late 70's. He never did much with it all. So since I've known him I go pick a few motors, parts or even full minibikes at least once a month. The first few times I'd go I was so junk drunk I couldn't focus in on it all so I would take pictures and study them later when I'd come to. Then next time I had an idea of what I wanted. The other day I was looking at them for the first time in a while and I can see a lot of the ones I have now as they were. Circled in red is this very engine how I found her.

Is there a way through the model/serial number that you can see if its original purpose was as a minibike? I tend to doubt it because it weighs a ton! But certainly not impossible. That would be interesting to know.
The Following User Says Thank You to oyster bay man For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2015, 02:34:14 PM
Registered-II

My engine is cast iron and weighs 45 pounds. Clinton listed it as a long life heavy duty engine. I don,t think a mini bike maker would have used such a heavy and more expensive engine for a mini bike. There is a Clinton related website that may have some information on it.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

The Clinton site is at CLINTONENGINES.US/HOME.HTML
Old 01-23-2015, 03:09:04 PM
Registered-I

No I don't think so either. But someone used it on one. Or was planning to. HAHA
Old 01-23-2015, 06:39:55 PM
Registered-II

I have a model 23 that i may use on a maxi bike. 9hp and very heavy.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:34:03 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDr235 View Post
I have a model 23 that i may use on a maxi bike. 9hp and very heavy.
Are you talking about a Briggs Model 23A? I have one of those and I could barely lift it into the Jeep. HAHA. It seriously must be close to 80 LBS. Do you know I've seen pics of a minibike with one on it? Crazy!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:27:39 PM
Registered-II

Yes a model 23AFB. Yes it is heavy. My grand daughter who use to wrestle in high school helped me carry it out to my shop using a pole and rope. I have been wanting to get some of these heavy motors up on to my work bench to work on them because i have bad knees and can't squat or sit on the ground to work on them. So the past two days i built hoist on my work bench using a boat trailer winch, pulleys and cable to lift the big boys. I have my Winco generator hanging on it right now. When you get your motor all back together i will have a better idea if we have the same motor. I will have to try to put pictures on this site in the future. I have never tried to put pictures on this site. I have my grand daughter help me do stuff like that.

EvilDr235
Old 01-30-2015, 03:58:27 AM
Registered-III

MR EVIL,
i have a briggs zzr6 with hand crank, cast shroud, gear reduction box 6 inch diameter flat belt pulley that is 5 inches wide. engine weighs in at 157 lbs with no gas, oil, or airfilter.

with the right pulleys, it would make a real good pulling trike, but on a mini bike, if it fell over, might be easier to lift the harley.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fifty7ChevyNut For This Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 01:42:41 PM
Registered-II

I am thinking maybe a trike would be better for me. Both my knees are blown out and a bad back keep me from lifting anything real heavy. Original i wanted to build a trike using a 235 Chevy six with the engine mounted behind me. I was going to use a late 1980s T-bird IRS in the back, but money and getting laid off from my job of 32 years forced me to retire. So now i need to think smaller.

EvilDr235