Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Can you fix my mower?

this thread has 47 replies and has been viewed 2614 times

Old 08-27-2016, 01:55:07 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,889 Posts
Default Re: Can you fix my mower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezerbill View Post
So - just fire up the finite-element analysis software, shove the engine model into it including all of it's manufacturing tolerances, give it all the material properties (including, most importantly the variances on those properties) and start winnowing away material (remember material cost money) until you get just the right statistics in cataclysmic engine failures too look good on the cost balance spread sheet.

Yuck.
RIGHT.
Before computers, when we used slide rules, fine tuning like this was not practical.
I believe they put the cover into the calculations. As previously posted, a lot of stuff is now designed that way. It is called material efficiency. As long as the bolts are in place, the cover handles the hoop stress. If the bolts work loose, the casting fails. This could be easily resolved by specifying nyloc bolts.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2016, 02:15:36 PM
Registered-II

So it's not a design failure, but a material failure.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:09:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprkplug View Post
So it's not a design failure, but a material failure.
IMHO, it is a design failure in that all of the conditions that could occur during normal use were not considered. IE- as designed, the bolts can loosen up during use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 09:32:12 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
IMHO, it is a design failure in that all of the conditions that could occur during normal use were not considered. IE- as designed, the bolts can loosen up during use.
I think that's a pretty far stretch, but maybe we're just battling semantics.....one person's design failure is another's wrong spec. (Non locking bolts)
Old 08-28-2016, 08:51:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,376 Times in 2,704 Posts

From the perspective of a failed or marginal project there always is the six phases of a project.

Phase 1: Enthusiasm
Phase 2: Disillusionment
Phase 3: Panic
Phase 4: Search for the Guilty
Phase 5: Persecution of the Innocent
Phase 6: Praise & Honors for the Non-Participants

Manufacturers always have to cut costs in any way imaginable. I know Kohler uses a lot of contract engineering to keep the employee count down. It can be from a design firm in Bhopal or Beijing with a lot of computing power at their disposal or a person that works out of their house in Atlanta. And of course what the computer spits out is gospel. I mean who are we to challenge the deliverables generated by a microprocessor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 10:46:24 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,117 Posts

My dad was a B&S dealer. I went to a training class with him in the 60's. The instructor said B&S has sold 4,000,000 engines the previous year at a profit of $.25 per engine, a million dollars was a lot of money back then. When you're trying to make 25 cents profit you have to watch every thing close.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:45:15 AM
Subscriber

When I was a kid our next door neighbor was involved in specifying and selling large in-line machine tools and assembly lines to automotive and other manufacturing companies, including B&S. This was in the late '60's and early '70's. I recall him saying that finished engines coming off the assembly line (before being shipped, assembled into products, etc.) had about $8 of direct cost invested into them. This may have been just direct material and labor costs, not including overhead, machine cost, etc., I didn't catch all the details.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:48:04 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
From the perspective of a failed or marginal project there always is the six phases of a project.

Phase 1: Enthusiasm
Phase 2: Disillusionment
Phase 3: Panic
Phase 4: Search for the Guilty
Phase 5: Persecution of the Innocent
Phase 6: Praise & Honors for the Non-Participants

Manufacturers always have to cut costs in any way imaginable. I know Kohler uses a lot of contract engineering to keep the employee count down. It can be from a design firm in Bhopal or Beijing with a lot of computing power at their disposal or a person that works out of their house in Atlanta. And of course what the computer spits out is gospel. I mean who are we to challenge the deliverables generated by a microprocessor.
Gotta' love this!