Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs & Stratton get together

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 5063 times

Old 07-10-2009, 08:37:53 AM
Subscriber

Talking Re: Briggs & Stratton get together

Hi again, everyone...

While I certainly respect Mike in NC, I have to disagree with the idea that R&T is a good place to have a spot for the small engine guys. I haven't been there for 4 or 5 years; the last time I went the staffers were, in my opinion, more interested in flea market junk and other attractions as opposed to engines. If Coolspring is not a good venue for some, then may I suggest Jacktown (Blue Mountain-Pocono region), if their BOD would be willing to host.

I for one would love to help get a club going; Sam Breeden, Richard Lee, and I talked about this as well years ago. While I collect Briggs (and John Deere), the thought of other small engines included is an awesome idea and should be the focus of the club. Maybe call it "Air-Cooled Engine Collector's Club", or "Small Gas Engine Association of North America". I also agree there should be regional shows as we are so spread out, and we certainly can't forget the many great folks who live in Canada!!

It would likely take efforts of three or four of us to establish a website, with agreements to maintain updates, monitor posts, etc. Judging from this thread, I think there is certainly interest out there to pursue it. Smokstak is a great forum and we should do everything we can to ensure that we don't draw from it, as most of us have our roots sunk in very deeply here, thanks to Harry and all his efforts. That much we owe to him and those who assist him!!

OK, I'll shush up now and let the replies come on in!! Just my two cents from the mountains of the beautiful Susquehanna Valley and Pennsdale Repair Shop!!

Warm regards to all,

Tom
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Schaech For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2009, 09:56:17 AM

Default Re: Briggs & Stratton get together

I am not saying R&T would be the "Best" place to have a gathering. But I have talked with a few friends that are on the BOD there, and they said that R&T still needs engine exhibitors to help make that show. I used to show there every year, and we went back to show there after the big mess they had with the engine area. We have not been there since 2006, and I am not sure that the engine turnout has improved much, but this might be a good way to help us and help them.

I would help in any way with what ever is needed to get a club started and help with a website.

I agree with Tom, we DO NOT want to take anything away from Harry and SmokStak!! This is the BEST site available to us and we need to keep supporting Harry! We need to stay here for general talking.

I feel we could have a great gathereing.
SmokStak Member #28
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike in NC For This Post:
Old 07-10-2009, 07:56:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,243 Times in 1,657 Posts

Making it to Portland, IN (350+/- miles for me) is challenging enough. If this event keeps getting closer to the East Coast, there will be no way I could make it.
If anybody wants to talk about some kind of gathering WEST of the Mississippi, I'm listening..........

I Can Probably Fix That
The Following User Says Thank You to John Newman, Jr. For This Post:
Old 07-10-2009, 10:22:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,454 Times in 675 Posts

yea john, i'm thinking the same.... maybe us aircooled guys should just set up our own regional show; east coast, midwest, mountain and west coast. hopefully not on the same weekends, so if someone wants a long haul to a other aircooled show. thanks.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:27:35 PM
Registered-II

rough and tumble has resently lost many members.I think it was because of flee market stuff.i am trying to get more people to go there so that the club does not loose to many people.I think it is a great place and i know a few friends that would like to see some more activaty there.years ago that place would be packed full of people showing there and now half of the small engine side is empty at threshermens reunion.I would just like to get some new people involved
The Following User Says Thank You to Connor Hofford For This Post:
Old 07-11-2009, 12:28:13 AM

I am all for having regional shows. Have as many get togethers for small engines as possible. Or what can be done is have small regional shows and have one BIG show at a different place each year. That way it could be held in a different region of North America. Could even have a main show in Canada if there is enough interest. That is just my $0.02
SmokStak Member #28
Old 07-11-2009, 07:08:58 AM
Registered-II

well guys

once again i think this is a great idea. ill put my plug in for rainsville in. we are very central about an hour from indy or west of lafayette in. its 100 miles for me to portland. so john it would be just 250 for you. you can look up our web site and see our grounds, we also have a banner add here on smokstak.that will take you to our web site. the grounds are just the rite size for a large get together of small engines, at a larger show the small engines seem to get lost youve got to really look for them. our show is this comming weekend and all are welcome. im taking 13 myself plus other stuff. its not out of the question for us to put on a second show but it will take some planing on the clubs part. but i do intend to recomend our feature next year be all small air cooled engines.

thanks again for a great idea, this can only help grow the hobby. later tom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tbastin For This Post:
Old 07-11-2009, 10:57:36 AM
Registered-III

I am for the regional shows, in a different location from time to time, also like the rainsville idea.

Just my thoughts
Chuck
The Following User Says Thank You to trashman6062 For This Post:
Old 07-11-2009, 11:28:39 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Hofford View Post
i think it should be at rough and tumble in kinzers PA! we dont have many diffrent showes out hear
I was asked twice to exhibit at R&T,s Aug show, my question to them was, Can i have my trailer with my exhibit which is also part of my exhibit. the answer was no! this started a decline in the engine exhibitors. There also was some issues with camping in their designated area which is also a parking area. I think regional shows would be a base to built upon and then maybe a national show in different sections of the country thru existing clubs every few years. JUST MY TURN ON THE SOAP BOX ! My support either way....Bob............
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Green For This Post:
Old 07-11-2009, 04:05:09 PM
Registered-III

alot of government and politics ain't to good here with engine guys too. first time in 25 years membership was required to exhibit at the local show. i plus many former exhibitors just found another show to attend. if my place was big enough i'd have a aircooled show here. i'd just like to see others stuff and meet. really a informal type thing with trailers, campers and campfires. maybe off season like later in the fall or early spring. 2.5 cents worth.
The Following User Says Thank You to mschreiber For This Post:
Old 07-12-2009, 09:29:10 AM
Registered-III

I think this is a good idea. Should it include equipment with Briggs on them? Should main attention be Briggs? Arlie
The Following User Says Thank You to Arlie Levy For This Post:
Old 07-12-2009, 09:46:07 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,731 Times in 4,276 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Briggs & Stratton get together

I too saw the results of the mess at R&T. Two years ago I nearly made it my last, for the treatment I got displaying my Charter-Meitz engine. After posting here on the Stak, I received a response. and was personally asked to come back to show my engine. This time, the staff there couldn't have been more helpful!. At both the summer (August) and the fall shows(October) shows, there seemed to be a complete turnaround in the attitude to exhibiters, although I heard a few complaints from engine parts venders.

I think having a few regional shows of small engines would be great! A good showing would generate more interest in the hobby, as for the prices on most of these engines is still in reach of the average person. The younger generation also needs a hand getting started, what better way than to introduce them to an 'affordable' hobby? If R&T would allow the small engine guys sell engines and parts in the display area (NO FLEA MARKET JUNK, 'modern' engines), it would be a boon to those interested.

I am for having a small engine display at R&T. Any one else coming?

Andrew
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 07-12-2009, 10:22:52 PM

We were at R&T when the Gravely Mow-in was there. For anyone that has been to R&T and was not at the Gravely Mow-in, where the people haulers turn around at the main gate, look to to the left, like you would be going toward where the construction equipment display is, and the left side, from the gate on up toward the const. display was all Gravelys. The Gravely club had their display tent set-up there, and there was people selling Gravely stuff. I am not sure if there were charged a regular vendor fee or not. In the attached pic, their display was in the area of the red box.

The BOD of R&T has been trying to make the gas engine exhibitors fell more welcome again. Andrew must have run in to someone that "thought" he ran the place. There are some there like that, but every show has them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R&T grounds mod.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	58452  
SmokStak Member #28
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike in NC For This Post:
Old 07-13-2009, 12:02:56 PM
Registered-II

Mike, in regards to the Briggs and Stratton club, I think It was started by Jim Miller who was a huge Briggs collector at one time and lives in Ohio. About 15 years ago I bought a large number of somewhat rare and very rare Briggs engines from him as he was needing to raise some money. I still see him at the Portland show selling Briggs parts and engines but I don't think that he is still persuing the club aspect for some time now but I am sure he still has the membership list from that time. At one time he was the most knowledgable guy I knew concerning the F series engines. I still remember one year at Portland in August where he had a flat bed trailer with what he called 150 different F series engines either whole or in parts that was for sale. He is a fixture at the August Portland show along with Del Packard and Bill Cole.
Thank You Harry For This Great Site
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Metzger For This Post:
Old 07-13-2009, 09:36:50 PM
Registered-II

Andrew,i will be there in august at R&T.mabye i will see you.i think that if some one wants to sell a few motors at r&t than thay should not have to go into the flee market.i just put a sign on stuff i want to sell.thay dont bother me.might be because i am a kid.i will have my garden tractors there and some old motors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
I too saw the results of the mess at R&T. Two years ago I nearly made it my last, for the treatment I got displaying my Charter-Meitz engine. After posting here on the Stak, I received a response. and was personally asked to come back to show my engine. This time, the staff there couldn't have been more helpful!. At both the summer (August) and the fall shows(October) shows, there seemed to be a complete turnaround in the attitude to exhibiters, although I heard a few complaints from engine parts venders.

I think having a few regional shows of small engines would be great! A good showing would generate more interest in the hobby, as for the prices on most of these engines is still in reach of the average person. The younger generation also needs a hand getting started, what better way than to introduce them to an 'affordable' hobby? If R&T would allow the small engine guys sell engines and parts in the display area (NO FLEA MARKET JUNK, 'modern' engines), it would be a boon to those interested.

I am for having a small engine display at R&T. Any one else coming?

Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Connor Hofford For This Post:
Old 07-13-2009, 10:54:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie Levy View Post
Should it include equipment with Briggs on them? Should main attention be Briggs? Arlie
I would say that it should be for the engines, BUT, I would not exclude the engine if was on a piece of equipment. Motomower would have a GREAT display of his mowers. Open it up to ALL small engines. Most would be air cooled, but the rare water cooled engines, not just the Briggs, should be included.
SmokStak Member #28
Old 07-14-2009, 05:28:05 PM
Registered-III

Coolsprings sounds like the best place to have this gathering, but I also think that The Pageant of Steam in Canandaigua NY would also be a great place for this gathering along with the nice show in Dublin NH in September.

~ Jonathan
Old 04-30-2010, 03:49:21 PM
Registered-II

well lets bump this back up. its been a year since this was brought up and its still a good idea.

so for anyone whos up for it we will be featuring all air cooled this year. all small air cooled and large air cooled anyone got an air domestic? how about maytags, i would like to have 100 maytags. ideals, gade, associated,gallaway i hope to have them all.

last year we had a very good showing of models and most if not all plan to be back.

get us on your calender its the illiana show in july at rainsville in. hope to see you there tom
The Following User Says Thank You to tbastin For This Post:
Old 04-30-2010, 10:01:09 PM
Registered-III

i be to rainsville with a few aircooleds. i think most guys don't care for the long haul just for a aircooled get together. i'm thinking if portland or a large venue like it featured aircooleds it might be worth it. anyway thanks for listening. 2.5% worth of thought. lol
Old 04-30-2010, 10:56:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,686 Times in 526 Posts

If it is R&T I will be there if I am not away on business. Probably
Coolsprings also.

I like the idea of all small AC engine.

It would force me to get my FH Ice Cream freezer completed.