Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Small-Engine Makers Voice Worry As EPA Weighs New Ethanol Rule

this thread has 46 replies and has been viewed 5665 times

Old 12-20-2009, 08:14:29 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Small-Engine Makers Voice Worry As EPA Weighs New Ethanol Rule

Here in the US, when we kick out the bad politicians, WORSE ones take their places.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 01:40:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,608 Times in 740 Posts

Roland,

I was about to experiment with mixing water with ethanol gas to see if the water would absorb the ethanol. Just needed to find a clear glass jug of about 1 - 2 gallons. Plan was to pour about 2 liters of water into the jug and mark the level. Then I planned on adding 4 liters of ethanol gas and shake it up good, then let it settle. If the water level rose above the mark on the side of the jug would indicate that it had absorbed some/all of the ethanol. Then I'd stick a hose into the bottom of the jug and siphon off the water, leaving the gas for my lawnmower or rototiller. Maybe add a little 2 cycle oil to the gas or octane booster.

Just haven't found a clear glass jug yet. Where did all those vinegar jugs get to?

Bill
Old 12-21-2009, 03:37:46 PM
Registered-II

I'm solving this problem with my mowers once and for all: I'm buying Sunoco unleaded RACE fuel at a local fuel/ oil supply house here in town. The have it in 105 octane and no ethanol.....
Old 12-21-2009, 04:44:28 PM
Lead Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sherlock View Post
Why would anyone voluntarily use ethanol fuel costing the same as real gas and get up to 30% less MPG and put up with a pinging engine? Then there's the cost of replacing fuel pumps at $600 plus if it's one of those idiotic ones in the gas tank. My sister replaced 4 fuel pumps in one vehicle in a relatively short time and was told it was because of dirty fuel. Funny the filter never plugged up.

If I had my way I would shut down all existing ethanol plants and scrap plans for any additional ones.

Bill
Sorry, but octane is octane, 87 E-15 will have the same ping/detonation resistance as 87 octane E-0. E-85 has an octane rating north of 107, and E-100 is well over 110 octane.

As far as fuel pumps, both fuel pumps in my 87 Ranger still work just dandy with E-10, the rubber diaphragm pump on my 1980s Rotax two-cylinder two stroke has held up just fine, in fact that very same Rotax two stroke ran just fine on 5 month old gas that according to Andrew Mackey should be un-burnable and corrosive! My 70s Mercury 9.8HP burned that gas just fine as well with no degradation to the rubber lines.
My 2001 Honda XR200 dirtbike ran just fine on E-10 that was 8 months old (winter storage) with no apparent loss of power.
The seals and fuel line on my 1970 Cub Cadet 127 are all original, and the E-10 has not eaten through and destroyed it, and no matter what it always starts within 2 revolutions of the crank! I have a buddy who has had the same gas in his snow blower for the past two years, guess what? Starts right up every time.

People just love to blame ethanol for their problems, when in reality its either shoddily made components (cut rate fuel pumps that a mechanic wont admit to installing) to old and naturally decaying rubber lines that wouldn't even hold up to normal gas.

As far as flat tappet automotive engines go, if you don't properly break in a cam shaft with one, you'll wipe the lobes clean off. They make special break in oils you should run for the lifters and the cam lobes to wear to each other properly, and then after that you can run normal engine oil. On the small engine front, flat head (and probably most new OHV small engines) do not have strong enough valve springs to put much stress on the lobes and lifters. I think you should be more concerned about companies like briggs and stratton using camshafts with plastic gears and lobes, then what they put in the gas, or take out of the oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 12-21-2009, 07:02:57 PM
Registered-III

i beleve what andrew was meaning is not bad gas but gas that has been miss treated like water in storage tanks and other bad things of the such. I personaly dont ever put in gas into my engine tanks if it has come from bp stations because around here i have found their ethiol content out ragous and water in their tanks. Holiday has great gas if you need to use some.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:51:16 PM
Subscriber

Octane ratings may very well be similar for gas with varying amounts of ethanol, but what you get at the pumps may not be the same as what went out at the refinery. All I know is many people have complained about pinging engines after buying ethanol gas at a local station, myself included. The problem clears when the tank is refilled with non ethanol gas. Anyone operating an engine(s) on ethanol gas without experiencing problems associated with the ethanol, consider yourself lucky. I have to wonder if the gas didn't contain ethanol in spite of being labeled as such. A lot of gas pumps around here say "MAY" contain ethanol.

I've had ethanol gas so stale that my Lawn-Boy mower wouldn't start, much less run, on the same day that I bought the gas. After draining the gas from the tank and carb and refilling with non ethanol gas from a different source, the engine started and ran fine without any further adjustments.

I've also seen ethanol gas a lot less than 5 months old that wouldn't ignite with a flame held to it. I can guarantee you won't find any engines around here starting on 2 year old ethanol gas even with stabilizer in it. (which is a waste of time and money on ethanol gas by the way)

Funny, I never had similar problems with the old gas. About the worst that would happen is a little bit of gum or varnish on the needle valve or on the screen on the pickup tube, after a prolonged period of non use. A shot of WD-40 or carb cleaner would usually fix that without even the need to dismantle the carb.

Bill
Old 12-23-2009, 02:16:10 AM
Subscriber

While attending a hockey game at our local arena tonight had the subject of ethanol gas come up. A friend mentioned a product called Star Tron that was supposed to improve the performance/stability of ethanol gas among other things, if that's possible!! Anyway I'd never heard of it so did a check on the net. For the non believers the following link provides a list of some of the problems caused by ethanol gas. http://mystarbrite.com/startron/imag...hanol101-2.pdf
I am not endorsing the product and have no idea if the product is as good as is claimed as only heard about it tonight. Does anyone have experience using it on ethanol gas, results?

Bill