Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Has Engine Quality Improved?

this thread has 44 replies and has been viewed 4506 times

Old 01-04-2011, 10:55:04 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: Has Engine Quality Improved?

"Best" is a relevant term. Are cars made "better" today ? I say yes (improved technologies, safety, efficiency, etc.), some say no (old cars were stronger, heavier, etc).

Cast engines were great for stationary equipment, but very cumbersome and heavy on reel mowers of the time.

I would say the "best" engines started with the introduction of the Briggs & Stratton 6B Series introduced in 1953. They were a revolutionary new aluminum cylinder design, lighter, ran cooler and less costly to manufacture (making them more affordable to the masses).

They afforded the production of the first rotary lawn mowers. With ball bearings at both ends and steel sleeves, they are every bit as durable as cast (with less than half the weight of their cast counterparts).

The aluminum engine revolutionized the Lawn & Garden Industry and by 1957 accounted for 80% of all small engines sold in America.

So I'm going with the technology logic for the "better" engine, (only my 2 cents worth)..

They continue to be the mainstream of air cooled engines today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6B-S Finished 001.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	97213  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 12:19:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,252 Times in 652 Posts
Default Re: Has Engine Quality Improved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Horse View Post
do you tear the engine down, and see if the engine was run on too little oil, or too much? the effects are pretty pronounced either way, and it shouldnt be too hard to tell if it was the engine company, or the consumer.
No we send them back to Lowes and they get scrapped. We dont get paid enough for the repair to tear down and diagnose. Obviously an engine thats seized with crystal clear oil was filled after the fact and neglected by the cust so warranty is out.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:43:32 PM
Lead Head

How often do you get motors with crystal clear oil?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:59:18 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Head View Post
How often do you get motors with crystal clear oil?
For the politically correct what I meant was brand new oil in brand new equipment.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:40:42 PM
Lead Head

I meant, how often do you get blown up engines, that obviously had been filled up with clean oil after they let go?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:28:43 AM
Registered-II

LEAD HEAD i have seen this happen many times. I guess they think no one will figure it out.I got a truck load of new returns at a Walmart store lots of them were blown up and guess what they had fresh oil in them.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:38:26 PM
Email Not Working

i would have to say thatone of the biggest changes is the way our new oils are made.When i get an engine if i do not know for a fact it was a runner the very first thing is to pull the pan and check. It is scary the ammount of crud that can be in there.The old oils were loaded with parafin and it can be like asphalt if it has set for a while. There have been several times that this attitude saved me. Also buy expecting the worst and you will never be dissapointed.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:20:03 PM
CaseHead

Hey dere;

I wrote Briggs & Stratton on WHERE they made their engine. They said 90 % made here. Buuuut, all the vanguard are made in nippondenso, with the exception being the single. So, guess they don't care that their reputation suffers with the crap made over yonder. I had a box marked Briggs & Stratton on the side, underneath that, made in china. I saw that and about puked! On the other hand, those old B & Stratton cast iron blocks made in the U.S.A.run forever, just keep oil in em. All I know is folks gonna have to get wise and support our stuff, not their crap.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:35:34 PM
Registered-III

CaseHead, Being a loyal Briggs & Stratton fan, it bothers me that Vangards are made in Japan. It doesn't make me happy that an American Icon like Briggs has outsourced 10 % of their engine production, (The UAW being the reason). Despite the Vangards, being imports, I would differ in opinion that they are crap, on the contrary they have a SUPERB reputation in the small engine market.

The good news being that 90% of their engines ARE produced right here in the USA. The ONLY small air cooled engines made in the USA. Can you think of ANY American Company (maybe the "big 3"), that make 90% of their product in America.

I COMMEND Briggs & Stratton for their loyalty to America. As for the "Made in China" accusation, I would have to see that in person, or a photo before I could totally believe that.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:13:35 PM
CaseHead

Hey Briggs Man;

I will hunt up that box and take a picture of it. Surprised the heck outta me too.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:30:06 AM
Larry Rarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggs Man View Post
Can you think of ANY American Company (maybe the "big 3"), that make 90% of their product in America.
Here's one that's still hanging on: http://www.usmotorpower.com/

It's the old West Bend / Chrysler 2-stroke now from East Troy, Wisconsin, and making between 6.25 and 11 HP.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:12:41 AM
Registered-III

Thanks Larry, Good to know that there's a few companies still hanging on !

---------- Post added at 06:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 AM ----------

Thanks CaseHead, I'm going to do a little research on that myself..
Old 01-12-2011, 09:40:33 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Head View Post
I meant, how often do you get blown up engines, that obviously had been filled up with clean oil after they let go?
More often than you think. People are stupid and take stuff home and think they know everything and assemble it themselves and put gas in it but forget the oil and seize it then take it back and get a refund or exchange and the idiots at Lowes comply. The fools put the oil in AFTER the engine locked up so they dont get the blame at Lowes.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseHead View Post
all the vanguard are made in nippondenso
Is that near Omaha??

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

BTW the Vangaurd engines are made in Japan by either Mitsubishi or Daihatsu and are very good engines. Kohler is garbage these days. Tecumseh thankfully is out of the picture. Give me a Honda GX series or a Kawi anyday or maybe a Kohler Command Pro if its the ones made by Yamaha.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:13:24 PM
CaseHead

Hey Briggs Man;

Here on the picture is "made in china"( under the power within) . Sad. I too condemn them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggs Man View Post
CaseHead, Being a loyal Briggs & Stratton fan, it bothers me that Vangards are made in Japan. It doesn't make me happy that an American Icon like Briggs has outsourced 10 % of their engine production, (The UAW being the reason). Despite the Vangards, being imports, I would differ in opinion that they are crap, on the contrary they have a SUPERB reputation in the small engine market.

The good news being that 90% of their engines ARE produced right here in the USA. The ONLY small air cooled engines made in the USA. Can you think of ANY American Company (maybe the "big 3"), that make 90% of their product in America.

I COMMEND Briggs & Stratton for their loyalty to America. As for the "Made in China" accusation, I would have to see that in person, or a photo before I could totally believe that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Briggs_china.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	97756  
Old 01-12-2011, 04:40:27 PM
Registered-III

When I started out used cars with over 50,000 miles would not sell. My first job was setting back odometers. If a valve job lasted 20,000 miles you had a great mechanic. Flat head engines burnt exhaust valves and seats like you wouldn't believe.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:08:33 PM
Registered-III

Hey CaseHead, I can't beleive it. I wonder what was in the box, I'm guessing a Vangard, maybe Japan sourced out to China for cheaper labor. That is really disturbing. I'm going to contact Briggs and ask them about that. And we wonder why this country has a 10 % unemployment rate !!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58:05 PM
CaseHead

Hey Briggs Man;

Yep. And got other parts with the Briggs & Stratton logo with the same made in china on them too. So , it's plain how much loyalty they feel for this Country. Stupid, goofy, disloyal, all of those adjectives apply in this deal .
I got a new rule: Next hot shot business that want to "relocate/outsource " to china, , make it mandatory they personally move there , permanently. We already owe 1/5 th of the federal deficit to them over there in loans outstanding , seems they want to screw us even worse, huh? I must be the only one that thinks we should be standing up for ourselves, and our Country.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:13:38 PM
Registered-III

CaseHead, I just sent a message to Customer Service via the Briggs web-site expressing my disappointment with their Chineese outsourcing.

I can live with 10% of their engines being made in Japan, typically Japaneese products are good quality.

Quite honestly, it shames me to see "Made in China" under the Briggs & Stratton label. I can assure you it will damage their future sales.

I'm sure they don't give a rats a$$ about what I think, but it felt good to get it off my chest !!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:08:44 AM
Lead Head

Kohler still makes quite a few engines here. They even have guided tours of their factories, including the one that handles all their kitchen and bath stuff.

Regarding China, I found a press release from 2007 saying they formed a joint venture with a Chinese company to produce Courage lawnmower engines. I'm betting that has now extended to most of the Courage line.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:01:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,900 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseHead View Post
Hey Briggs Man;

Yep. And got other parts with the Briggs & Stratton logo with the same made in china on them too. So , it's plain how much loyalty they feel for this Country. Stupid, goofy, disloyal, all of those adjectives apply in this deal .
I got a new rule: Next hot shot business that want to "relocate/outsource " to china, , make it mandatory they personally move there , permanently. We already owe 1/5 th of the federal deficit to them over there in loans outstanding , seems they want to screw us even worse, huh? I must be the only one that thinks we should be standing up for ourselves, and our Country.
I have been to China and have seen where the ex-pats live. If you don't mind living in a big city, you can live like a king there. If I had to choose between Beijing and New York City, I would probably choose Beijing.