Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

A Picture Of Your Favorite Engine

this thread has 55 replies and has been viewed 9577 times

Old 10-23-2011, 07:49:27 PM
Aevry

Default Re: A Picture Of Your Favorite Engine

My 1984 Briggs is my favorite. I got it when I was 14 and I fixed it on my own. I have always loved my '84 and will never part with. I just repainted it today with a can of gloss black. I'll post some pictures soon. I want it to last.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/album....pictureid=3961

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

My favorite is my 1984. I received it in October of last year when I was 14. I have had it now for a year. I fixed it up on my own and it still runs. I just repainted it today. I also had to fix the starter handle I gotta put the Governor in and fix the spring. I'll put a cold start video up soon. here's a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIy_p...el_video_title
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 11:00:15 PM
Registered-III

i love my little lausons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cell phone pics 030.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	119049  
The Following User Says Thank You to oldmotors For This Post:
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50:04 AM
Registered-II

One of my favorites is my model F because it's one engine I never thought i'd have and its rather early numbered in the 140's. My son's favorite is the three quart base FH
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 039.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	119172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 027.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	119173  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Larry Caskey For This Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 02:17:07 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolwisconsin View Post
Good evening Briggs man, how have you been? What projects are you currently working on?

Hey Oldschool, Going good down in Central Texas, starting to cool down just a little

Not too much in the way of projects, just finished (mild restoration) a Briggs 6.5 HP Intek (see my photo album for details, the yellow one), other than that, kinda' slow. I've taken my new display trailer to a few shows here and there, still "fine tuning" the trailer a bit..
Old 10-26-2011, 08:27:41 PM
Registered-II

Hi Ken,

I havaen't worked on my engines for the past month, but planning to mount my Lauson v22 and my Briggs 287000 this weekend and get them running. Then all I have to do is clean and paint them, along with my Clinton VS100.

I still thinking about a display system that will fit either my trailer or the bed of my truck, but that I can move to retain full use of the truck or trailer.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to brew56 For This Post:
Old 10-26-2011, 08:48:19 PM
Registered-III

Thumbs up Re: A Picture Of Your Favorite Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew56 View Post
I still thinking about a display system that will fit either my trailer or the bed of my truck, but that I can move to retain full use of the truck or trailer.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Sounds like you got a good plan.. I'll want to see pics when you get them painted.. I'll be thinking of some display ideas for you too.. Ken
Old 10-29-2011, 08:07:01 PM
Registered-I

Since you asked, my favorite has to be my REO 211F. It showed up in pieces and took a lot of work to put back. I had to change the carb. to accept the inlet needle and seat for a Tecumseh. I also had to mill the carb. elbow flat on both ends so it would seal. You can see more about it and see it run on my site linked below.

http://www.jonsmachineshop.com/antique-power/reo-engine

Dennis, Briggs Man, those are some nice looking Briggs. I doubt they looked that good new.

Thanks,
Jon
The Following User Says Thank You to JonH For This Post:
Old 10-29-2011, 11:47:08 PM
Registered-I

Well, I'm an idiot. Resized pictures and even put them in their own folder so I could find them quickly and then forgot to upload them. Anyway, here they are.

Jon

Name:	P2181241.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	119505Click image for larger version

Name:	PB261484.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	119506
Old 07-12-2013, 11:35:34 PM
Registered-III

Beautiful collection !!
Old 07-14-2013, 11:10:41 PM
Registered-III

I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I'd show my favorite anyway. I guess my favorite would have to be my 41 Briggs Model U. I looked for one for a long time before finding a restorable one. I really like the rather unique fuel system.

Matt

The site won't allow me to post a pic of it, because I've already used the pics in the restoration thread I did awhile back.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...=117740&page=2
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowtiebutler956 For This Post:
Old 07-15-2013, 12:15:13 PM
Registered-II

Looking at the engines I have now, my favorite is definitely my Briggs & Stratton model WMB that was given to me as a present on my birthday from BigGoomba and his girls. It is such a sweet running engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adsNVRww6O8
The Following User Says Thank You to Skandia600 For This Post:
Old 07-15-2013, 09:28:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,007 Times in 700 Posts

My favorite air cooled engine is my 1952 Wisconsin AHHD on my 1953 Devilbiss air compressor. The unit was issued by the US Navy to spraypaint battleships. Not only is the engine the largest one cylinder Wisconsin made, but it always starts on the first crank, hot or cold!

My favorite liquid cooled engine is my Detroit Diesel 6V53T. I completely rebuilt it after pulling it from a Sheridan Tank in 2009. It dynoed out at 331hp @ 2800rpm and 772lb/ft @ 1900rpm

Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 07-15-2013, 10:54:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,005 Posts

Chris,i would love that little blue v6,..I have no practical use for it of course,but...i'm guessing you know what I mean.
There was a local transport operator here in the seventies who had Dodge ?..or Inter?,.anyway?..they were fitted with 6v-53,and 6v-71.They had a 2 or 3 times weekly run to our neighbouring Capital.You know you are getting old when you can remember these little things howling their heart out for mile after mile,away in the distance on a foggy evening.
We were easily entertained in those days in our early teens.My brother might hear when one of these units would turn onto the main road and come up through the gears,..about 8miles away in the neighbouring town,..he would run inside to alert us.I can remember one or two nights when half the family was at the front gate listening.
It's certainly a favourite of mine!...thanks for posting it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 12:21:26 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tron View Post
My favorite air cooled engine is my 1952 Wisconsin AHHD on my 1953 Devilbiss air compressor. The unit was issued by the US Navy to spraypaint battleships. Not only is the engine the largest one cylinder Wisconsin made, but it always starts on the first crank, hot or cold!

My favorite liquid cooled engine is my Detroit Diesel 6V53T. I completely rebuilt it after pulling it from a Sheridan Tank in 2009. It dynoed out at 331hp @ 2800rpm and 772lb/ft @ 1900rpm

Chris
I have a 1942 AHHD Wisconsin. Damn thing weighs about as much as a soviet tank assembled, and upon disassembly and inspection, i found out that this thing could definately survive a nuclear blowout.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Also that Detroit is BEAUTIFUL! What are you going to use it for? And how much does it weigh? For liquid cooled, my favourite has to be the M20B25 that is comfortably located under the hood of my 1990 BMW E30 project car. Stupid easy to work on, and VERY reliable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolwisconsin For This Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 01:03:44 AM
Registered-III

In my opinion, Wisconsin built the most industrial, overbuilt, brutes of air cooled engines. "Most Horsepower Hours" is not just a motto, it is a fact. They will run forever and then some with minor love, and lots and lots of fuel! I have a TJD with well over 10,000 hours on its original bore. The pistons slop around like crazy in their bore, but it always starts on the first or second crank and has done so for the last 500 hours or so that I have had it.

That Detroit is perfect inside and out. Everything is brand new, with lots of upgrades over its factory spec. I did not opt to convert it to electronic injection, but it has the latest and greatest U series valves and seats, the stronger 65lb valve springs, natural blower, V7L cams, 7A77 injectors, a 3000rpm governor, Jake Brakes, and lots of aluminum accessories. The engine weighs somewhere around 1300lbs instead of its all iron 1800lb brothers. I was planning to put it into a truck, but ended up buying a 1979 GMC 7000 with a 4-53T already in it. I then thought about putting it into a 1960's Mack B61 or 1952 GMC 950, but figured a 6-71TA would be a better choice, so now it is destined for a 1951 or 52 Hudson Commodore 8, if I can ever find one. I am going to figure out what it takes to make a Detroit a dry sump engine, and figure out how to get a 13 speed double overdrive under the floor without hurting the beautiful curves of the car. I think it will be a long term project, which will eventually be really sleak, fast, half way decent on fuel, a chick magnet and something really special.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 07-17-2013, 01:16:58 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tron View Post
In my opinion, Wisconsin built the most industrial, overbuilt, brutes of air cooled engines. "Most Horsepower Hours" is not just a motto, it is a fact. They will run forever and then some with minor love, and lots and lots of fuel! I have a TJD with well over 10,000 hours on its original bore. The pistons slop around like crazy in their bore, but it always starts on the first or second crank and has done so for the last 500 hours or so that I have had it.

That Detroit is perfect inside and out. Everything is brand new, with lots of upgrades over its factory spec. I did not opt to convert it to electronic injection, but it has the latest and greatest U series valves and seats, the stronger 65lb valve springs, natural blower, V7L cams, 7A77 injectors, a 3000rpm governor, Jake Brakes, and lots of aluminum accessories. The engine weighs somewhere around 1300lbs instead of its all iron 1800lb brothers. I was planning to put it into a truck, but ended up buying a 1979 GMC 7000 with a 4-53T already in it. I then thought about putting it into a 1960's Mack B61 or 1952 GMC 950, but figured a 6-71TA would be a better choice, so now it is destined for a 1951 or 52 Hudson Commodore 8, if I can ever find one. I am going to figure out what it takes to make a Detroit a dry sump engine, and figure out how to get a 13 speed double overdrive under the floor without hurting the beautiful curves of the car. I think it will be a long term project, which will eventually be really sleak, fast, half way decent on fuel, a chick magnet and something really special.

Chris
I agree with how overbuilt the Wisconsin AHHDs are. Theyre insanely overbuilt. I was shocked when a hotsy power washer came to my work for an engine replacement, coz it had a 16 hp Briggs Vanguard V twin, with just shy of 4500 hours on it. Nothing wrong with it. They just wanted to replace the engine. Im gonna see if I can obtain that 16 hp one. As far as the Detroit goes, those are about as overbuilt and overkill as a Wisconsin air cooled engine. Im pretty sure you can take either one, a wisconsin or a detroit, overheat it, and run it out of oil and they still will keep going. Also is that a 2 stroke Detroit?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:29:28 AM
Registered-III

It is a 2 cycle "leaktroit"
They sound amazing, make good power, will run on waste motor oil out of the package, and are notorious for drinking oil and lasting forever. Adding a natural blower to a turbocharged engine is really the only way to make good low end power though. They prefer running up against the governor over idling!

Chris
Old 07-17-2013, 01:31:48 AM
Registered-III

The one I have outlasted its previous owner. The guy who owned it died like a few years ago. When i tore it down, there was NO ridge at the top of the cylinder. The rings are still good, and there was nothing wrong with the internals apart from buildup on the valves causing them to not seal compression. Even the piston looks brand new on the sides, NO scuffing on the skirt at all. So they lasting forever is an understatement. I guess theres a reason why it weighs as much as a Soviet tank assembled. The fact that they are pretty much indestructable.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Those 2 cycles are awesome engines, and are entirely indestructable. Notorious for lasting well over a million miles. They WILL run off of any oil based "fuel", be it used tranny fluid, to used motor oil. Same with the Mercedes benz diesels they put in their cars back in the 80s. Those will run off of used trans fluid.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:00:42 AM
Registered-III

Photo Re: A Picture Of Your Favorite Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolwisconsin View Post
I dont have a pic of it unfortunately, but i will never part with my 1956 Briggs 6B.

I have a restored 1956 Briggs 6B-S as well.. it would certainly come in as second place....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6B-S Before.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	187058   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Cycle Bracket 016.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	187059   Click image for larger version

Name:	6B-S 011.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	187060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Briggs 6B-S 015.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	187061  
Old 02-06-2014, 03:29:57 AM
Registered-III

Briggs Man, that engine is GORGEOUS! Mine dosnt look that good It will, coz next time I disassemble it, its gonna get a very nice paint job, coz the paint thats on it looks like crap, apart from the fan's baffling and the origional oil bath air cleaner. I painted those parts a few years back. I need to retorque the head bolts on it and throw some gas into it and start it, it hasnt been ran in over 4 years... I went through and cleaned everything in the gas tank and carb about 6 months ago, and it hasnt had any fuel in it since, so it should fire right up. Its currently sitting on top of my dresser in my room.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolwisconsin For This Post: