Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs ID help ($20 chipper fun)...

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 451 times

Old 05-14-2019, 08:49:48 PM
Registered

Default Briggs ID help ($20 chipper fun)...

On our local community Facebook 'Corbett Oregon unstuffed' I picked up a old chipper/shredder from a neighbor for $20. The guy couldnt get it to work after a few months (It took me about an hour) and got this old man back to life. I had to file/adjust the points and make a new intake gasket from a cereal box. I also got a new air cleaner.

(first fire up)

https://www.facebook.com/jonny.hotnu...7522911880721/

The thing runs AWESOME!!!!! Holy hell does it make chips to! (*it is pretty scary.....and by 'pretty scary' I mean REALLY scary. It will snatch a 6' limb out of your hand and turn it into toothpicks in a split second).

The issue is that I can not find any model info about it. I 'think' its a model 14 but would like to get more info. I need to replace the plastic spool the starter cord winds on....and I would also like to know the year.

Does anyone have any info on where the ID stamp is on this old single?

Thanks for any info!

~JH
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2019, 09:11:15 PM

Default Re: Briggs ID help ($20 chipper fun)....

Look on the blower housing near the carb. The numbers should be stamped there.
SmokStak Member #28
Old 05-14-2019, 11:10:16 PM
Registered-I

It looks like you have a MacKissac shredder. ....If it has a chipper hopper on the side and a shredder hopper on top, it is a model 12-P.

If it just has the top hopper it is a model 9-P.

The 7hp B&S engine looks to be possibly a model 170402. ...The Model, Type, and Code numbers will be stamped into the blower housing, most likely where Mike said. ....If not, check the flat area on top near the sparkplug.

I have info for the MacKissac, if you would like it.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:10:56 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Briggs ID help ($20 chipper fun)...

Agree with Bruce. Standard starter pulley, any decent B & S dealer will just walk back and pick it up off the shelf. If you are replacing the pulley because the center is melted , also replace the starter clutch. Don't waste time cleaning it, it's already worn out
Old 05-17-2019, 12:28:05 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dorsi View Post
It looks like you have a MacKissac shredder. ....If it has a chipper hopper on the side and a shredder hopper on top, it is a model 12-P.

If it just has the top hopper it is a model 9-P.

The 7hp B&S engine looks to be possibly a model 170402. ...The Model, Type, and Code numbers will be stamped into the blower housing, most likely where Mike said. ....If not, check the flat area on top near the sparkplug.

I have info for the MacKissac, if you would like it.
It is a MacKissac 12-P! I would like the info on it. Once it stops raining Ill see if I can find the stamp.

Thanks for the info guys! Also, does anyone have a guess on how old it is?

On a funny note....

The little metal tang that grounds the plug (kill switch) snapped off. I sat my new ($1200) phone on the hopper top. I was pulling the starter cord VERY slowly to turn the motor over and it INSTANTLY fired. I was so surprised my thoughts were how I would kill it and not my phone. I grabbed a stick to pop off the plug wire and out of the corner of my eye noticed my phone about to commit suicide by chipper. Well.....I caught it just in time. I could live with the loss of money for the phone but would NEVER be able to live down accidentally putting my phone through a chipper from my wife!

Thankfully I dont have to go down that road....but it was close....REALLY CLOSE!

~JH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonny Hotnuts For This Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 08:45:08 AM
Registered-I

I sent you an e-mail.

The Code number from the B&S engine numbers will indicate when the engine was manufactured. ...From that, an intelligent guess of when the machine was built can be made.