Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs Model N Help

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 394 times

Old 05-22-2019, 10:11:47 PM
Registered

Default Briggs Model N Help

Been messing with a model N Briggs that was on a walk behind cultivator and I'm having carb issues I can't get straightened out. It has the small 2 piece flo jet carburetor. It just leaks gas like a sieve. The float is not sinking and I adjusted to spec. I put a new needle and seat in it and checked all the vent holes. What am I missing here?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2019, 11:17:59 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Briggs model N help

adjust float AFTER new neede? flote may still be heavy
Old 05-23-2019, 12:17:08 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,733 Times in 4,278 Posts
Default Re: Briggs model N help

Holding the carb body upside down, the float seam should be parallel to the flange. Submerge the float in hot water and see if any bubbles form. If so, the float needs to be replaced. While you have the carb upside down, try blowing into the fuel inlet. it should be sealed off by the weight of the float. If air gets by, so will gas and the engine will flood. The flo-jet was a poor design. it tended to puddle fuel in the throat when idling and would dump gas after a while. The body was made of zinc alloy, and would warp over time, causing leaks at the gaskets. Overtightenning the screws would also warp the carb body leading to leaks. Sorry for the bad news - nature of the beast
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 02:26:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,935 Posts
Default Re: Briggs Model N Help

I am crossing my fingers that the small flo jets will be reproduced like the large 1's as this is common. Did you hear fuel sloshing around in the float? if so,chunk it.
I have found sometimes adjusted a bit uppwards is a patch
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 03:49:45 PM
Registered

The first float definitely had a leak so I tossed it. The second float, I let sit in a cup of gas for a few hours and it didn't sink so it's good. Maybe the carb is just badly warped as previously stated. I wish the small flo jets were reproduced, it would save me a headache. haha

I am going to try a float adjustment this evening and if that doesn't work, I guess I'm going to have to look for a good used one.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:12:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,856 Times in 1,731 Posts

The vent for the float bowl is likely still plugged up. If it is, the gas will never reach a level high enough to close the float needle due to the bubble of air that is trapped in there. The gas then just flows up the high speed jet and out the air intake since the fuel tank is higher than the carb. I believe the float bowl vent is near the idle mixture screw, if memory serves.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146