Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Wheel Horse C-100 Garden Tractor Revival

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 526 times

Old 09-19-2019, 01:05:47 AM
Registered

Thanked 5,277 Times in 877 Posts
Default Wheel Horse C-100 Garden Tractor Revival

I bought this 1974 Wheel Horse C-100 back in July with plans to flip it... it included a 36" snow blade, 36" deck, cast iron wheel weights and some nice ag lug tires. I thought that I had it sold.... then the sale fell through (guy was all talk and then disappeared, I just despise people like that, be honest and tell me you changed your mind!!!).

So, with nothing to do Saturday afternoon, I split the transmission as it was not wanting to shift, was an easy fix. Put the detent spring and balls back in place, put the gears back on in the correct order, and fix a bearing. Primed the carb, cleaned the points, and it fired right off. We added fuel, it runs perfectly, we tried the transmission and all the gears worked.

So... thought maybe once it was driving I'd sell it quicker, but my third minion laid claim to it once he saw it was a runner!

I needed to find some rear axle hubs and brake parts to have it driving. Those parts arrived today. We installed the hubs, mounted up the tires it came with, and installed a set of cement wheel weights I had (the cast iron ones that came with it are stashed away for use on my WH 520-H)

One pretty happy minion! We found that it was not charging the battery, but at least it was driving! I had hoped to save those ag lug tires for my 520H and mount some ATV tires on this tractor... no dice, wouldn't fit, but he was quick to point out those ag tires would!

The minions and I headed back out to the shop after dinner this evening to work on the tractor a little more. We appear to have resolved the charging issue (loose wire) and after some discussion, decided to go ahead and build a set of snow plow mounts in place of buying a set. Used the ones on my Wheel Horse 520H as a visual pattern and we made a set up. Didn't take much time at all.

Even though I have a 84" snow plow with power left and right on the skidsteer, I suspect there might be arguing amongst all the minion tractor owners around here who will be plowing snow with their tractor...should be interesting!

I have plans for the stack as it is straight through and quite loud (he REALLY wants to keep it). We have a couple more cosmetic parts in route, but hope to have it wrapped up by the weekend. Been fun letting him do some of the work. That's been the single best part about them having their own tractors, letting them do some of the maintenance (like the oil change he'll get to do after school tomorrow.) Stay tuned!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2019, 05:46:43 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Wheel Horse C-100 Garden Tractor Revival

That’s a nice tractor. When other kids were getting mini bikes my parents would not let me so I bought a lawn tractor. It was a good thing, still playing with tractors
Old 09-19-2019, 10:22:39 AM
Subscriber

Now if that thing had a tiller I would get a loan and get it !!, BUT the Wife would not be happy at all !! Those things do not come up for sale around here very often
Your Son is one lucky little guy
Wayne
The Following User Says Thank You to OrgWayne For This Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 10:30:25 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrgWayne View Post
Now if that thing had a tiller I would get a loan and get it...
Your Son is one lucky little guy
Wayne
That he is! Haha. Incidentally, I do have a tiller off of my Wheel Horse 520-H that mounts right on, he just hasn't figured that out yet! I was pretty excited when I bought my 520-H because it included the tiller... I have used it once. It does a nice job, but it is nowhere as near as nice a job as my BCS walking tractor with a tiller. So, I use the BCS and have the Wheel Horse tiller stashed away in the GT parts row. This is only the 2nd Wheel Horse that has come up for sale that I have seen. So, we've bought them both. This little C-100 looks pretty good next to the much larger 520-H.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 12:54:25 PM
Registered

The exhaust stack quieting solution: split and weld a Briggs and Stratton muffler in. Worked well. Still resonates, but now full throttle sounds about what idle did before.

While digging through the tub of parts for the 520-H today, I also found this sleeve hitch. Since I had never dug to the bottom before, I didn't even know I had it!

Last edited by bigGURN; 09-19-2019 at 01:53:59 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 07:09:26 PM
Registered

After school today, the third minion did an engine oil change on his tractor and decided to try the front blade out. One pretty happy little camper. Still need to find a brake band and the brake band rod, but outside of those two parts, this tractor is ready to go!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 09:37:10 AM
Subscriber

If the little guy was closer he could come over and tear up my front yard to reseed !!
Wayne
The Following User Says Thank You to OrgWayne For This Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:04:11 PM
Registered

I left the ignition key on for about 10 minutes in my c120. I heard something making a hissing sound and oily junk is spraying from my extremely hot coil. Is that normal? A tractor restored I talked with said yes.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:01:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapperman View Post
Is that normal? A tractor restored I talked with said yes.
I'm the nearly thirty years I have been turning wrenches on this stuff, I would NEVER say that is normal. If there is oil coming from the coil, that means that the coil has cracked and the insulating oil is leaking out, most definitely not normal. If it is heating up, that indicates an electrical short inside the coil. Time for a new coil and check for any other shorts in the electrical system. Fortunately, these tractors are pretty simple to rewire, I rewired this tractor this past weekend in about an hour.

Last edited by bigGURN; 09-24-2019 at 04:33:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:21:15 PM
Subscriber

If the key got left on and the points were closed it will cause it to overheat and blow the coil. Not a good thing but I'd call it normal under those circumstances. You forget and leave the key on, you have a 50-50 chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Tallman For This Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 06:31:48 PM
Registered

Thanks for the advice. Will be buying a coil. One more thing....I replaced the carb with a new China carb and it only runs if you keep it choked with your hand. Acts like its starving for gas.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:38:29 PM
Registered

You may need to adjust the two jets on it to allow more fuel. Adjust them all way in, just so they bottom out and do not add force to it. Then back them out 1 to 1.5 turns. That should get you close to a decent starting point... if it still will not run, you may have a faulty carb with a poorly machined jet or passage/fuel circuit. Had a friend bring me a new Chinese carb and found they had missed machining the low speed circuit into the throat!

C-100 update: Thanks to another Wheel Horse Garden tractor collector the little C-100 now has brakes! He provided a brake band and a new strip of lining. Little bit of Gorilla glue and 24hrs of cure time and the tractor now stops on demand!

Old 09-25-2019, 07:29:56 PM
Registered

Thanks to yet another Garden Tractor collector, my third minion now has a mule drive for his Wheel Horse C-100 (though he doesn't know it yet, we'll surprise him with it for his birthday next week). Now he'll be able to run his mower deck next summer. For the first time in history, there will be arguing over who gets to mow the lawn with their tractor!
Old 09-26-2019, 09:22:38 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,515 Times in 663 Posts

I wish that I someone fighting over who cuts mows the lawn! That reminds me of when I was a kid, I put a lot of hours on a Wheel Horse. My dad bought it new in the mid 60's and after I got old enough to drive it you could not keep me off of it. You need to get him a cart to pull behind it so he can learn how to back up a trailer, that is how I learned.
When I was about 12 years old I made a snow plow for it. I made some brackets going out off the front of the frame and a lever back by the controls with a cable in between to raise the blade. For the blade itself I did not have a piece of metal so I used a piece of 3/4" plywood. It was crude but it sure beat a shovel and actually worked pretty well. Then later I found a blade off of some other brand mower and adapted it to fit the Wheel Horse.