Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Straightening connecting rods

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1012 times

Old 10-07-2019, 12:09:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,125 Times in 1,015 Posts
Default Straightening connecting rods

I found a couple of mentions of straightening connecting rods in a thread search here, but nothing really definite except for where a member had 10-20 Titan rods straightened. I found one place that said they could straighten it, otherwise I think rather than doing it myself in the press they probably have the experience more so. I remember, I think, that you have to bend it past straight the other direction and then back to straight, not sure how much is best.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2019, 12:24:53 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,222 Posts
Default Re: Straightening connecting rods

It is just trail and error. You will end up going too far at one point, then have to bend back.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:11:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,696 Times in 1,698 Posts

I've straighten rods on two different engines. One was rather small, 4 HP, but the other was larger about 10 HP. On both engines they had been converted to wood splitters with wedges bolted to the piston. I'm sure both were bent due to the severe blows inflicted on the rod. I borrowed a friends large vernier caliper (it went to 48") and as Bill said, it was trial and error in the press. The vernier caliper measured the parallel surfaces of the wrist pin end and rod end of the connecting rod. I also used a surface block and squares to ensure I got them parallel in all respects. I got them to within about a thousandth and said good enough! I knew if I tried to take that out I'd probably go too far and then be pressing in the opposite direction.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:23:55 PM

Thanked 20,741 Times in 5,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hamm View Post
I found a couple of mentions of straightening connecting rods in a thread search here, but nothing really definite except for where a member had 10-20 Titan rods straightened.
That might be this thread >>> https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showt...=68254&page=11

Pick it up at post 209.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:46:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,646 Posts

The only way to get them perfect is to line bore an undersize bushing in the pin end to size on a rod machine or set up on a mill parallel to the big end bore. That said, +/- a thou is most likely good enough for a hit & miss...
A lot of rods that come out of an engine are not exactly straight. Line boring compensates for the bend, my old machinist friend didn't like factory John Deere rod bushings because they didn't leave enough meat in them to always clean up...
Smokstak member #442
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 12:22:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,125 Times in 1,015 Posts

Well, as I had not heard from the machine shop I decided to try and switch rod bearings, see how I could re-rivet them in with the copper rivets. I haven't found 1/4" countersunk rivets yet but thought about making some. Called to see about picking up the rod and found out they straightened it, BUT, they had to heat it to get it there.
I am skeptical about heating just the end, what do you all think?
Old 10-18-2019, 12:39:47 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,222 Posts

Not sure why they had to heat it, 10 or 15 tons should be enough for you garden variety tractor connecting rod. It will probably fine fine though.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:03:47 AM
Registered

Those 1/4 copper rivets with countersunk head are used on wood pump rod couplings on windmills for the larger size hexagon wood rod. Maybe try a windmill repair man in your area.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:06:26 PM
Registered

Will brass work.
https://www.grainger.com/search?sear...y=rivets+brass
Old 10-19-2019, 05:38:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,174 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hamm View Post
Well, as I had not heard from the machine shop I decided to try and switch rod bearings, see how I could re-rivet them in with the copper rivets. I haven't found 1/4" countersunk rivets yet but thought about making some. Called to see about picking up the rod and found out they straightened it, BUT, they had to heat it to get it there.
I am skeptical about heating just the end, what do you all think?
It's common practice in the automotive industry to heat the rod small end for the "press fit" wrist pins. You heat them up in a special "Rod Oven" .. then slip the wrist pin thru the piston & into the rod & hold it in place side to side. It cools momentarily & locks the pin in place.