Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary  Engines

Lister HA2/OME Genset Issue

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 469 times

Old 10-20-2019, 10:09:14 AM
Registered

Default Lister HA2/OME Genset Issue

I have an HA2 with OME gen head, 1964 vintage. Has an issue when starting after sitting for a day. Starts up, sounds like it over revs, and then shuts down(sounds like the gov. is shutting it down). If I wait 10-15 minutes and start it again, it will start, RPM's will slowly go up. then down, and finally settle in and be fine. If I shut it down and re-start a few hours later, it's fine. A bit loud, but works like a charm other than the first time start. At light loads(2-3Kw) it is miserly with fuel as well(3-3.5 hours per gallon). Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
RonA
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2019, 10:12:41 AM
Registered

Default Re: Lister HA2/OME genset issue.

Hello Ron,
Not familiar with the HA2 in particular, but have owned and/or worked on a few of the slightly more recent models of that design. It sounds as though the rack/s on the injection pumps are stiff or sticky, causing poor governor response. Old stale gummy fuel or veg oil residues are often responsible, and I would first try adding a stiff dose of one of the proprietary injector cleaners to the fuel tank and see if that clears the problem. If filters have not been changed recently then probably a good time to do that as well.
If still no joy, then remove the sidecover to access the pump racks and observe that they slide freely when applying and releasing the stop control. If not sliding free, then slightly loosen the clamp bolts on the forks that hold the pump bodies to the block and check that the pumps align to allow free movement.
If all this fails then add a few percent of acetone to the fuel, can do no harm and may dissolve stubborn goo. Otherwise you may need to remove pumps (messy job), submerge them in acetone and work the racks back and forth till free. Good chance the injector cleaner will fix it anyway, so good luck with this tough old girl, and let us know the outcome. Regards,
Combustor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Combustor For This Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 04:58:25 PM
Registered

I removed the side cover and the pump racks were sticky. I sprayed them off and used a light oil to lube them while sliding back and forth. They are better now and when I put the cover back on and started it, it settled in fairly quickly without over revving and shutting down. We are having a power shut down today so it will have a chance to burn some fuel with a diesel conditioner in it.
Thank you for the advice Combustor.

RonA
The Following User Says Thank You to AEsup For This Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 10:14:19 AM
Registered

Tried running diesel clean fuel treatment through it for 8 hours, no change. Added a bit of 2 stroke oil to the fuel yesterday and ran it for 11 hours. This morning it was stuck about the same. Frees up when warm. If I can find a bit more data on how to set up a pair of new injection pumps I think I'll go that route. First I need to remove the linkage and make sure it's the racks, not the linkage.
RonA
Old 10-28-2019, 10:43:03 AM
Registered

Default Re: Lister HA2/OME Genset Issue

Hi again Ron,
Surprised the racks have not freed up by now. Worth checking the rack alignment as it is possible for a pump to rotate slightly in its clamp at the base when trying to tighten or loosen the delivery valve holder or the injector pipe. Need to use two flat spanners on both nuts (they are metric sizes) when doing this.
Just loosen the base clamps slightly to allow pumps to rotate a little, also loosen injector pipe a little, then see if you can find a position where the racks slide freely. Gently tighten clamps so that racks remain free, then finally tighten injector pipes while holding the delivery valve body using that second spanner again. Hope this helps, as those pumps will not be cheap to re-build. Regards,
Combustor.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:21:46 AM
Registered

I tried loosening up the two clamps(engine off) and working the rack back and forth. I did not try loosening the injector pipe as well. I am going to machine some studs so I don't wear out the threads holding the side cover on. They don't have to be tight but constantly removing the bolts will wear out the aluminum threads. Studs and wing nuts until I get this corrected. Still running like a charm except for this and some base gasket oil leakage.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:02:22 AM
Registered

Sometimes an over tightened delivery valve holder will make a plunger tight due to distortion. If you can find which pump is sticking, loosen the delivery valve holder and check if it makes a difference.
Hugh
Old 10-31-2019, 12:28:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,294 Times in 2,094 Posts

Try some KROIL penetrant. Try it on the rack assembly before you try to take it apart. My Dad was in aerospace and he would bring that stuff home in BULK.