Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Bad Neighbors at Shows

this thread has 122 replies and has been viewed 12835 times

Old 01-24-2016, 12:51:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Bad Neighbors at Shows

Zira.
I think you are spot on!
As of now, I can only have small air cooled engines.
My workshop is (currently) in a basement and I need to be able to bring the engines up and downstairs by myself.
Thanks,
TekNik
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2016, 12:58:55 PM
Subscriber

What I find even more annoying and seems to be getting much worse are the people that feel they need to go through the show and flee market on a riding lawn mower or garden tractor. You can’t look at the flee market and watch for people at the same time. These people on the motorized vehicles seem to think they have the right of way at all times and you need to get out of their way. Last fall at Lagrange, Ohio I witnessed a small tractor get away from a young man and it crashed at high speed into some vendors. Nobody was hurt but the operator said the governor stuck and it got away from him. I have no problem with disabled people moving slowly with their electric tricycle carts, unfortunately it has morphed into everybody and his brother moving about in motorized vehicles when they have no physical restrictions. This is a dangerous situation that needs to be addressed. If you don’t need a cart in the isles you have no business being there with one.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StationarySteam For This Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 01:03:32 PM
Registered

One show I regularly attend has just one shade tree in the engine area. One year I got there and was able to set up in the shade. A while later a man came in and started setting up next to me. I helped him get his canopy set up. He then set up a sales display for I believe some kind of internet service and related equipment (he should have been in the vendor's area). Then he mounted two large speakers above the canopy and put on music tapes all day long at a very loud volume. It was so bad we moved further down away from him. Was assured by the show sponsors it wouldn't happen again next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis K. Nash For This Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 01:17:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,190 Times in 4,172 Posts

We been an lot on shows in the past.
The difficulty for us is always the most busy time of the year because these shows are going on with the most busy harvesting moment.

Going to an show takes an lot energy specialy to bring an steelwheeled tractor there.
We went to plowing contests in the past while all the stuff came back home under the mud.
It was trow it in an shet and start cleaning 3 months later.
It is also dangerous with transportion specialy an big one with gliding of an trailer or broken stuff.

And on some shows there is some butter head behavoure.
Not only in Europe but also in North America.

We do not care so much on shows enymore.
Most of the tractors we dit already have seen overhere.

We are not auction people aswel.
We like collecting what the early tractor collectors dit you know find them in the wild with an story behind it.
These chances are most over now.

This is why we have runned in the horse sleighs.
The exotical ones are still hidding on dark and dusty places.

Glad that we have been an smal part of the early tractor collector.

Last edited by Brothers Clemens; 01-24-2016 at 02:50:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:01:47 PM
Sponsor

A growing problem at some of the shows is space. What really bothers me are the ones that show up a week before the show and put signs up to mark a large spot, taking more than just the normal single spot. Then days before the show they start bringing in three or more trailers of engines. If it's a show with limited space then don't bring your whole collection out, the same collection you have every year, that everyone's already seen. Just pick a few different engines each year and bring those. Save some space for the other guys. I know it's intimidating and frustrating for a new guy to arrive at a show and he has to find a place to set up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Metal For This Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 02:38:36 PM
Registered

It really dosent bother me what engines people bring or how much noise they make I like seeing all types of older equipment and I say the more variety/ uniqueness of equipment the better.

My only complaint would be people dont run their stuff as much as they used to, or have demonstrations of what their machine can power.
How many times do you see guys pull up with a trailer full of stuff and just leave it sit on the trailer strapped down non running for the entire show, or in even more extreme cases bring the same trailered engines every year with mouse nests in them and you know they havent ran in 10+ years.
I say get those engines off and run them! No one wants to see a non running engine/machine sitting ready to be taken home when the show is only on its first day! Have some fun with them and fire them up, thats what they were made for
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bolens 1000 For This Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 03:02:43 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Bad neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drabik View Post
"Crappy Ass Engine"? Werent they made in Pistberg?
LOL .............
Old 01-24-2016, 03:20:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,190 Times in 4,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolens 1000 View Post
It really dosent bother me what engines people bring or how much noise they make I like seeing all types of older equipment and I say the more variety/ uniqueness of equipment the better.

My only complaint would be people dont run their stuff as much as they used to, or have demonstrations of what their machine can power.
How many times do you see guys pull up with a trailer full of stuff and just leave it sit on the trailer strapped down non running for the entire show, or in even more extreme cases bring the same trailered engines every year with mouse nests in them and you know they havent ran in 10+ years.
I say get those engines off and run them! No one wants to see a non running engine/machine sitting ready to be taken home when the show is only on its first day! Have some fun with them and fire them up, thats what they were made for
Bolens i can understand your thoughts,

With Tractors this is way different.
An close tractor friend of us went an long time ago with an tractor to an show.
With unloading his tractor fell of the trailer and came in an chanel next to the road and with the tractor on top of him.
Gladly people coult lift the tractor in the water and he dit suvived gladly.

It was an tractor with steel wheels.
So these things are not with out danger and i can understand that some people dusnt like this and keep the tractor safe home or on the trailer so that the people still can watch.

Maby this is different with engines but it is yust my 22 cents....
Old 01-24-2016, 04:20:29 PM
Registered

Jeff
Well how many tenants are in that WMSTR (OUR) building?
It must be the other guy???
Have a nice day.
"But its all good"
You were spot on about the hammer mill.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:38:56 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,234 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L Johnson View Post
Jeff
Well how many tenants are in that WMSTR (OUR) building?
It must be the other guy???
I thought I'd get a rise out of you!
The Following User Says Thank You to JSWithers For This Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 04:53:46 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
First of all, I didn't want to start this thread complaining about engines running, that's what the shows are for.
I think we all know that you were just kidding around, BUT the thread took another direction, and became one about folks who do get offended by the normal sounds from an engine show. I guess the bottom line is that if someone isn't there to enjoy himself and spend some quality time with fellow collectors, he should do the rest of us a favor, and just stay home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom G For This Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 05:16:21 PM
Subscriber

Maybe setting up at an engine show is kind of like driving down the interstate highway, you know everyone you need to pass is a menace on the road and everyone that passes you is a maniac on the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to StationarySteam For This Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 05:32:25 PM
Subscriber

I can honestly say that I have never had a bad experience with a neighbor at a show, but then most of the shows I attend are small local shows where I am often the only engine demonstration setup there. I really like to run everything along with an attached working piece of equipment to show what these engines were built for and no static displays. I did have a situation last fall at The Horne Creek Historical Farm Show where I am invited to grind and sift cornmeal to a usually large crowd. Our show planner had set me up next to a family of old time gospel singers and I immediately thought this might be a problem for them as they tried to play good old hymns to the beat of a KE Stover and a IHC M could be a test of our collective Christian character. Before the show I went over and explained to them that my engines running could be a problem so we did a test run to see if our noise would affect their music. They listened and assured me they could deal with it and were very appreciative of my thoughtfulness, I always have a number of packing quilts on hand to cover engines in transport and I hung them between us to block out some of the noise. We all had a very good day and we parted as good friends. Common courtesy goes a long way as well as 2 large bags of my best fresh ground corn meal Looking forward to the next show season and new good neighbors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00830.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	244576  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal Rosenquist For This Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 06:55:20 PM
Subscriber

I'm not much of a show goer any more due to health issues but we went a lot until the last couple of years....Going to take a bit of a different slant..this happened a long time ago but we recalled it well..some very experienced and regular show goers always brought their grand kids to the show...no problem..I'm a Grandad and a Great Grandad...but...

The older folks all gathered to "visit" near the motor home of one of the folks....maybe 8 or 10 of them sitting and just chatting...the grandkids were kicking a soccer ball through the displays..we left the cross ropes down at the request of the folks that liked to visit back and forth and wanted to have "walking room", and that was fine...but the kids tearing through the displays was a real problem....I asked the grandmother to please ask the kids not to run through our display (as I recall we had 3 running engines )..she was pretty adamant that the kids knew what they were doing around engines and I didn't need to worry. Not happy but we kept an eye on things...then the oldest kid (probably about 10) ran past our 2 1/2 hp Economy (avatar engine) and ran his hand over the moving flywheel as he ran by..

We shut things down...drained the water...took down our rope barriers and packed up and loaded the trailer and left..we did not attend that show nor many of the other shows where we might encounter the same situation. They were not "bad neighbors" just neighbors that had more trust for children around machinery than we did..so it's not always the ones with the loud whistles or the smokey Maytags (I like Maytags) that are a problem....kids and dogs that are well restricted are great but a gas engine display is not a playground...regardless of how much time they have spent around engines and machinery.

I grew up in an age of lots of really dangerous farm machinery and it was not unusual to see kids in the smaller farm communities with arms and legs that were bent and disfigured from the damage done by hay balers, power takeoff's, etc...the stuff is dangerous.

I like dogs but don't like dogs off the leash that roam and run through crowded venues...I don't care how much "they are part of the family"...I don't want someone's dog either getting into an engine nor being aggressive near me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R. Kern For This Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 07:19:07 PM
Subscriber

Talking Re: Bad Neighbors at Shows

Not to hijack the thread but I hafta agree that the most obnoxious thing at the shows are the kids and adults on "crappy ass" garden tractors without mufflers hogging the aisle, etc. ( I`m beginning to like the term of "crappy ass" when it applies to rude engine show behaviour.)

Maybe we should forward the concept of starting a "Crappy Assed behaviour at engine shows" forum. That means giving up on making fun of the Maytag folk?
I hope not!!!!

I guess I`m turning into a "bitter old man"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Drabik For This Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 07:54:40 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,596 Times in 613 Posts

All my stuff is crappy assed ...sometimes it even amazes me that it may sometimes run ....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmer John For This Post:
Old 01-24-2016, 08:53:07 PM
Registered

Semi-related. I have gone to shows for years. The past 5 or so I started taking tractors I have restored which started with one load, then a couple, you know how it goes. This year I think it will have to be decision time and not take everything to the show. I have always been in the tractors, never collected engines. Always heard they were temperamental so I avoided them. Last summer one followed me home and I had a blast restoring it. This winter so far several more found a new home. Having never shown in the engines area, what are the "unspoken rules". As I have done with the tractors (with implements, plowing with, etc) I want to show the engines doing something rather than just sitting there. Ideas or suggestions? I don't want to be "that guy" and show up with my stuff and rub my neighbors wrong.

Thanks!
Matt
Old 01-24-2016, 09:54:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,186 Posts

Perhaps some of the clubs could come up with the "Crappy Ass Neighbor/Engine" Award. Possibly an area set aside for those awarded that, the next show. Kinda like the penalty box in Hockey.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:20:44 PM
Registered

Have your engine belted up to something. people love seeing these engines powering something. I belt my engine up to a corn sheller and I always had lots of spectators. My brother bought a Hercules engine a couple years ago and people would just walk on by. He didn't like that . The next year he had the engine belted to a pump jack exhibit and then more people would stop and watch .
Old 01-24-2016, 10:27:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,901 Times in 775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zira View Post
One mans crap is another's treasure.

(begin rant)

I got started collecting Wisconsin air-cooled engines. They are NOT quiet. I started showing bringing 6 - 10 of them & setting up a display showing the different families, etc. Some were older then some of the flywheel engines (late 1930's), but a few folks grumbled about them not belonging, or about the noise. I usually only ran one at a time, and at idle.

Now I take mostly hit & miss engines, but I take a few Wisconsin's every time too. I hope others will take an interest in these (and Lauson's, Briggs, Clinton's, etc.) as they were just as historically important as the bigger, heavier engines, and many are getting to be older than our hit & miss engines were back in the 1970's. And they are generally a lot cheaper & more portable, making them an easy entry option for young/new/poorer folks (like me).

Key is, be aware of what noise/smoke/smells you make, be considerate to each other & spectators, and have fun. Most of the rest will take care of itself.

(end of rant)
I love the Wisconsin engines. That was all I could afford as a kid (and not much different than now). I have sold all of them but my first one that I restored as a 4H project in probably 8th grade. Now that engine is almost twice as old as it was when I restored it. I really enjoy it when an exhibitor has a nice Wisconsin collection.