Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Briggs and Stratton won't start

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1344 times

Old 08-15-2017, 12:23:29 PM
Registered

Default Briggs and Stratton won't start

I am hoping you clever people can help me, I have a B&S 92508, 92500 series that won't start, I have checked the plug and there is a spark on cord pull etc, have cleaned carb and renewed oil and petrol. All is now clean and tidy, I have not taken off crank cover etc., on checking plug after start attempt is is wet so gas there I presume. Could you advise as to my next step, is there any timing I should check and how, it does expel a smoke like exhaust when attempting to start but does not fire. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys/gals

---------- Post added at 05:23:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19:13 PM ----------

I forgot to add, it does appear to have compression as sucks at plug hole and does offer resistance when attempting the pull start, hope this helps. Checked plug resistance, and short to case all seems ok
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2017, 12:40:35 PM
Registered

Default Re: Briggs and Stratton won't start

Akins, thanks for all that I aim to recheck the plug etc. Just to be sure the spark is right, I did check the gap and as said check the resistance and short to earth all appeared ok. But will definitely check as you suggest, thanks in advance
Old 08-15-2017, 04:52:13 PM

Thanked 6,821 Times in 4,330 Posts

I would check the flywheel key first. The key may partially shear and you still get spark, but at the wrong time. If you have E-10 (alcoholized gas) crap gas on your side of the pond, it will cause the plug to short out under compression. Spark outside the combustion chamber - no spark under compression. Try a new plug. gap .035".
Old 08-15-2017, 04:58:07 PM
Registered

Thanks for that I will check the flywheel, is there a guide for this or will I have to work through. I will also try a new plug and report back. Thanks for the advice
Old 08-15-2017, 06:12:34 PM
Subscriber

Check your air cleaner. A dirty one can cause this. Also incorrect timing and weak spark. A new sparkplug can sometimes work wonders on an engine which will not start.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:32:22 PM
Registered

Long ago when that engine was popular on lawnmowers, they were notorious for valve jobs. They didn't need much as they seemed OK, but just lapping them in made a big difference. The other problem we had with the 92500 and 92900 series were caused by people swapping the shrouds when the starter broke. The difference was 1 pick up tube in the carb or 2. People were always getting the wrong carb diaphragms. Also check the tube from the carb to block for looseness or cracks. The 92500 engines were a headache. The 92900 were migraines!
Old 08-19-2017, 03:45:01 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
I would check the flywheel key first. The key may partially shear and you still get spark, but at the wrong time. If you have E-10 (alcoholized gas) crap gas on your side of the pond, it will cause the plug to short out under compression. Spark outside the combustion chamber - no spark under compression. Try a new plug. gap .035".
^^^^That right there is the very first thing I check.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:12:13 PM
Registered

To all contributors, thanks very much for all your it really was worth its weight, finally found out what problem was the petrol had been contaminated with diesel fuel in two cans, so we ended up chasing our butt. Went and bought new petrol, readjusted and cleaned all system after which it started on second pull. It ran somewhat laboured for a while but is now great.
Thank you all very much for your help without your input it would have proved much more difficult.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peterp For This Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 03:35:29 PM
Registered

Thank you for posting the solution to your problem. Many times we never hear back from the original poster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdstew For This Post: