Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Restoration of the Rumely 6 (40 Posts so far)

this thread has 55 replies and has been viewed 8347 times

Old 10-14-2018, 05:45:55 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Restoration of the Rumely 6

I had my first close look at the "twins" yesterday.

The Rumely 6 on steel looks pretty good - a little loose in the steering. it had been sleeved with 060 oversized pistons. no starter but turns with the hand crank so the top end looks good except for a small chip out of the block next to a sleeve. not sure if that will be a problem. I will pull the engine and get a look at the bottom side. I will post a photo of the chip in the block. The mice were setting up residency with pink insulation, acorns and what not - so time to evict their remnants but fortunately this looks like that is a recent event. I will need to fit a different flywheel with starter ring gear and starter

the other Rumely 6 looks good also - needs 32 inch rear tires and engine needs to be cleaned up - the prior owner says he had it 40 years and no material work done. With The heavy oil deposits everywhere I think a strip down and cleanup is in order while it is out of the machine and it will need a valve job. This has 030 oversized cast iron pistons which will get new rings.

I needed a cast iron elbow which attaches to the carb - these were done by Cattail Foundry in PA - the first two arrived this week and also look very good. I will post a photo

ok back to work
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rumely6a For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 05:46:50 AM
Subscriber

engine is out of the steel wheeled beast

attached are the newly cast elbows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2007.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	320994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1987.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	320995  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rumely6a For This Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 07:15:12 PM
Subscriber

delivered a running rumely 6 to the restoration shop today

the 6 cly engine sounds great will post photo soon
Old 10-24-2018, 06:43:25 AM
Subscriber

some photos with the "new" engine. note this engine came out of a firetruck best I can tell either Ward - LeFrance or FWD (thanks again Dennis WEHS). To fit the Rumely 6 engine subframe with starter on the carb side required several modifications - small amount of grinding on the block; replace the rear main cap as the rear main journal much smaller on the Rumely 6 subframe; refit the crank fitting at end of crankshaft (mating ends of the hand crank and crankshaft); some dowl pins did not match where the tractor splits and some other differences in attachments as one would expect.

as I compare the three different flywheel housings I have (firetruck; stationary power unit; and original Rumely 6 design) these are all quite different with different starter placements; different oil pans and other more subtle differences; however it seems the basic blocks are very similar and except as noted identical (6MZ and 6MZA) and best I can tell the crankshafts (but not the fitting at end of crankshaft for hand turning crank) are interchangeable.

the governor system among these engines is also quite different and at least one cam is different between engines - the Rumely design has flywheel weights and the FWD Firetruck design does not. This difference is well detailed in the parts book available for the 6MZ engine.

The first project has been an interesting with Tractor #1 - "Steely". I have a distinct advantage with having several of these tractors (many duplicate parts; pattern to go by; identification of differences between differing style blocks etc). I have (the ambition for) several of these to go together so starting to gear up for the next one - "Orangey" (followed by "Greeny" and "Rusty"?)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2014.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	321391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2019.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	321392  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rumely6a For This Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 06:59:12 AM
Subscriber

one clarification to the last post - the cam gear is what is different between the engines - looks like thats bolted on a keyed shaft so I can switch that without pilling cam (and the head and the valves)
The Following User Says Thank You to Rumely6a For This Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 02:41:51 PM
Subscriber

taking a break on the project. Some observations

- Some engines - the Main bearings have shims (as much as 085 on each side) some have no shims. In all cases the rear main is shimmed but not necessarily the other mains. the engine machine shop says they seldom see this on anything! what is others experience with vintage engines (1930 - 1940) and shims? any suggestions where shims might be available for this engine?

- I fitted cork in the rear main seal journal and groove - this is what was in the engines previously and it seems to be doing the job.

- I have a parts engine I began to disassemble - this engine had been outside in a scrap pile at least since the early 60's (+60 years!) and maybe earlier. 2 of the 6 pistons pulled easily (after soaked in ATF for a few months); crank looks ok except one piston journal; manifold salvageable but has a crack; other parts look ok despite some head bolts totally rusted; freeze plugs rusted out; manifold bolts rusted; etc I am surprised there is anything salvageable!

- rear wheels were seized on one chassis - turned out to be rusted brake lining. these are 28 inch spoke wheels. Fortunately I have a set of spoke fronts as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rumely6a For This Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 06:47:08 AM
Subscriber

making shims for rear main bearing housing - see attached photo for rough cut shims and 1 original factory
Old 11-01-2018, 06:48:50 AM
Subscriber

try again for photos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2057.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	321912  
Old 11-13-2018, 02:49:45 PM
Subscriber

"Orangie"- Engine number 2 out of machine shop. Kind of $$$$ but no surprises and these were good guys to work with - engine was sleeved to 4.25 + 030, small (1 inch) crack in block gas welded; new rings; used aluminum pistons; crank turned to 020 and new rod / rebabbited main bearings line bored to match crank; refit rods for bearings (slightly offsize); as I noted in earlier in post the rear main required shims and some special fitting. While this block was removed from the "orange" tractor my family farmed with. Its possible this is not the original block and the block may have been replaced along the way - for sure the rear main bearing cap did not match the look and the stampings of the other main caps and required shims. Hope to get this one in final assembly (magneto; water pump; manifold etc) and running this winter and on to restoration shop. This is Orange painted; is on rubber with "flat" spokes front and back. Photos coming in a few months when I get back to work on the project.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:37:44 PM
Subscriber

I see there is a posting for a "parts" Rumely 6 on Yesterdays Tractors classified for those interested. Hopefully this note is kosher with the classified rules?
Old 01-24-2019, 11:31:14 AM
Subscriber

some after photos

work courtesy of Bob Clark Harrison Michigan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190108-145434_Message+.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	327032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190108-145549_Message+.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	327033  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rumely6a For This Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 10:46:29 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,101 Times in 262 Posts

Looking good! What all work has Bob done for you on that tractor?
Old 01-26-2019, 06:30:52 PM
Subscriber

J Fred- The big thing is sheet metal, fenders priming and painting. A few other odds and ends including tune-up and finishing touches to bring the engine to running condition. He is pretty resourceful it seems!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:49:07 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,101 Times in 262 Posts

Thanks! I didn't know he did any other work than sheetmetal work!
Old 02-21-2019, 10:14:00 PM
Subscriber

Sorry to bump your thread Rumely6a. May I ask about the clutch?
Is that a Twin Disc type clutch? Drove one for a fella I know many years ago for parade duty at Rollag and had to watch that clutch as it didn't like to let go very nicely.
Great to grab but will it let go? I didn't run into anything but it was a bit hair-raising at times.
30 years later I realize it may have been because the springs inside the clutch to push it all apart were busted up.
The 2 Twin City (Twin Disc) clutches I've had apart have been the same. Broken springs.
That sound right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Duey C For This Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 01:09:41 PM
Subscriber

well I am not sure Duey - I have one photo attached of the clutch disc mounted on the transmission input shaft

as you know this is a hand clutch and the little experience I have with driving it - the Rumely 6 clutch is tricky and you need to leave room for error! word to the wise - don't back into a closed space

You can't see it in the photo but the linkage (I don't thing any springs?) is mounted on the trans side and clamp toward the centre of this assembly. The style that I am familiar with would mate to the flywheel face with a pressure plate on the trans side - thats not quite what we have here. if you look closely at the photo the clutch assembly has teeth on the outer rim that mate to a ring gear the bolts inside of the flywheel. I can see why this design did not endure

An update on the tractor project - attached is block #3 post welding - you will recall earlier in the post a photo of a 10 in crack in the water jacket - this is now welded - done at temperature in a furnace. I should soon have some updated pictures of tractor 1 to post

---------- Post added at 10:09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02:49 AM ----------

attached photos of the clutch disc

also attached is a photo of the welded block - water ports and head stud holes will need to be machined
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	329244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2007.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	329245  

Last edited by Rumely6a; 02-23-2019 at 01:13:28 PM. Reason: add photo
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rumely6a For This Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 01:45:28 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Restoration of the Rumely 6 (40 Posts so far)

Hi 6a.
I type too much.
I should clarify my last post. The tractor I drove in the Rollag parades so many years ago was an original green Rumely 6 or 6A.
He started readily and was a real nice runner but his clutch kind of sucked sometimes if releasing.
I didn’t fully realize how odd/rare these tractors really are. I wish I had that one now.

The clutch:
I found this a few years ago and didn’t note where it came from nor which owner’s manual. Prob’ly doesn’t matter.
It was all about the Twin Disc clutches from the day. Here we go.

"CLUTCH LUBRICATION: Lubrication of the entire clutch is accomplished by carrying a small quantity of oil in the clutch housing. This oil is caught by the outer rim of the flywheel and caused to spray over the entire mechanism. Lubricate all pins and links on control lever with kerosene for a day or two so that the paint and rust will be cut. Use ordinary machine or engine oil after breaking in period.".
This is for new tractor fresh off the flat car! And later it says:
"CLUTCH LUBRICATION: The clutch is enclosed in its own compartment and is lubricated by a light spray of oil thrown up by the flywheel. This oil takes care of the clutch toggles and toothed engagement members. For best results this oil should be a light or medium weight motor oil, or a mixture of regular motor oil and kerosene - 20% kerosene and 80% motor oil. The quantity should be checked once a week and kept up to the level of the gauge plug hole on the side of the housing. Once a month, drain through lower plug and refill."
And:
"The clutch on the Rumely "Six" is a simple disc clutch and requires very little attention. By using a toothed engagement, the use of pins and splines is eliminated. Adjustment is simple but important. The adjusting member is threaded on its inner circumference and screws on to the hub of the inner driving member. Turning this member to the right shortens the distance between the inner and outer driven members, while turning it to the left increases it. All clutches are set at the factory, but owing to the fact that the friction faces are new, they may require one or more adjustments before getting worn down to a clean surface. When a clutch slips it should be adjusted at once as slipping will cause heating and undue wear of the discs.".
Twin Disc, with turning adjusting collar. Such was used on Galion gasoline road rollers with Continental 6 motors and some other tractors.

The reference to “By using a toothed engagement, ...” shows us that your tractor may very well may have been the intention of that old post.
I call this a spline drive and didn’t know this drive was used SOOO long ago!
I’ve put many, many smaller engines with hydraulic pumps mated to them with a spline drive together to use.
Spline drives work pretty darn good.

My brand of old tractor uses 3 pins to drive the clutch assembly...
”some other tractors.”
“.....the use of pins....”
They ring like a bell when worn out and sound so pretty IF you like the ring, ring, ringing.
My brand of old tractors is a dry clutch arrangement, but perhaps a very similar Twin Disc clutch.
I’d bet the toothed drive never says anything, it just drives. Pretty neat.
Pics: Here’s why I ask and what I’ve found with my brand:

1. From the front. That's why we can see the similarities. If way off base, let me know.
2. What I found. Busted springs to push the pieces apart to release and the clutch facing separated so we may have a double whammy with broken springs and separating clutch facings..
So perhaps we get a not perfect clutch release once in awhile. There are supposed to be FOUR springs in those drilled sockets!
3. Does this look familiar? Shoot. The releasing pin (adjusting lock pin in my world) is not in sight here. It's hiding under the finger on the left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010046.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	329902   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010024.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	329903   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010167.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	329904  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duey C For This Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 05:22:43 PM
Subscriber

some similarities Duey but some differences - I will need to get some more photos to show the unit.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:33:25 AM
Subscriber

back at the Rumely 6 after a mostly quiet winter. Looking for some parts - one Waukesha connecting rod (part number 35107A). Have rod sets that are babbitted- with the bolt that holds the wrist pin and apparently these were in the early engines. Later engines used a floating wrist pin with clips holding the pin in place and insert type bearings. Have contacted the usual sources for Wauk parts - no luck yet but have one potential source.

-also looking for a gear for the distributor - 12 tooth. Am in contact with a local gear shop who says they can make it ($pricey though) if I have them made I may get extras if there is interest? some of these engines were with a magneto only and a few (firetrucks) had both.

Will need to have one or two water pumps rebuilt - any suggesting on where?

Have been making some bearing shims over the winter. Experimenting with a arts and craft cutter (cricut) to cut thin brass for shims and other gasket type material. playing cards cut great by the way. I would say results are mixed in cutting any metal and as one would expect metal wears the cutting blades quickly. These work great for cork; plastic; and any paper type material

Engine #2 has been rebuilt and is about ready to be installed in the orange tractor in the next month - rubber tired and flat spokes. Engine #3 is still in the weld shop getting cleaned up and engine #4 is in the machine shop - likely 060 oversized pistons.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0598 2.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	335410   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300-1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	335411  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rumely6a For This Post:
Old 06-28-2019, 12:52:35 PM
Subscriber

back at the Rumely 6 - hopefully complete soon

attached is a photo of the remanufactured drive gear and the original which is on the left / top
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0232.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	338056  

Last edited by Rumely6a; 06-28-2019 at 12:53:18 PM. Reason: correct error