Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery Discussion about misc. carbs, mixers, fuel pumps, injectors.

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery

Schebler TT/TTX carb questions/rainy Sunday putzing

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 353 times

Old 07-28-2019, 04:57:07 PM
Subscriber

Default Schebler TT/TTX carb questions/rainy Sunday putzing

How do they slide apart?
Other than time, patience and scratching one's head, how does that darn thing come apart?
I have the screws out obviously, found and removed the secret screw to hold the venturi in the bowl section. After removing the small brass cover, ground down a bit for the impact driver and three taps later the locking screw was turning.
The bowl and top swivels slightly, tips just a little bit to and fro, the venturi is turning in the bowl's bore but the two sections just don't seem to want to slide apart.

Any leads on diagrams etc for these carbs too? I can't seem to find anything out there.
I think the kit number with a parts supplier is 1659. Meant for a 283 cu in engine, this carb had been running a '29 403 cube Twin City tractor engine.

Thank for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	340211  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2019, 03:38:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Schebler TT/TTX carb questions/rainy Sunday putzing

Attached a sheet we made up we include when we put a kit together should be helpful. The top and lower casting pull straight away from each other. If you try to move in any other direction you'll snap off the idle tube. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TTX carburetor rebuilding instructions.pdf (791.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-29-2019, 07:06:29 PM
Subscriber

That is absolute Gold Mr McDonald. Thank you!
Best thing about this thread is your post above. Info for the next guy looking. Thank you for that too!
Oops! I forgot about the idle tube! I was thinking of the float bracket but not that fairly delicate tube... Thank goodness I haven't been forcing, just wiggling.
Here come some thin wedges and gentle pressure. Looks like I'll need a new gasket after all.
This carb will be tested at the very least.
If I take the tractor out to a show and can't lock it in our building overnight, I'd consider leaving the correct brass carb at home. Two sizes of wrenches and a Vise Grip or pliers and a buddy with a flashlight can take a several hundred Dollar carb off and away in a short time. I don't like that.
EDIT: Just ordered a kit from Mr McDonald ^.
It'll get here before I get it apart! Hope the float's good...

Last edited by Duey C; 07-29-2019 at 08:03:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 08-01-2019, 04:12:39 PM
Subscriber

I was certain for awhile the loose end of the idle tube was stuck so hard that the pressed-in end was pulling out! Uff da.
It just took time to get it apart and he fought me the whole way! The antique Olympus camera did the same. Fight me, it took time.
Screwdrivers then chisels to set the tension and tap tap tap with the brass hammer.
15. That darned idle tube must fit just nicely if all clean.
19. His home in the top section.
20. I had taken the Dremel and brass cup brush to the float already. Looks fantastic!
Some rust-dust inside the bowl. Overall the carb looks good.
EDIT: I used a 5/32" drill bit by hand in the top section idle tube hole and Dremel brass cup brush on the idle tube until very clean. Snug, smooth fit.
I like to take a mostly dull bastard file (fine) to the gasket mating surfaces to take down the high spots. They will be all over any carb etc with mating surfaces.
Go in every direction across the surfaces as you can imagine and look at your old file to see if it's warped. The warp can hinder OR help you if it is.
This Schebler TT/TTX # 23 carb is the carb that 1217 finished his working career with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010015.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	340517   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	340518   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010020.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	340519  

Last edited by Duey C; 08-01-2019 at 09:20:06 PM. Reason: Additionals and realizations