Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

IHC M 1 1/2hp 1919 Restoration

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 1735 times

Old 09-30-2019, 07:44:15 AM
Registered

Default Re: IHC M 1 1/2hp 1919 Restoration

That is by far the most interesting gas tank I've seen! Good one to get glassbeaded, painted, and sealed inside.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2019, 08:51:39 PM
Registered

I've got some parts ordered from Starbolt that should be here soon. In the mean time I have given the skid a facelift and started reassembling the engine.

The crankshaft babbitt spacers I put back exactly as they came out. The non-governor side is perfect, no detectable movement up/down or left/right and moves freely. The governor side did not have matching sets of spacers on each side, but I put them back as they were and there was quite a bit of slop up/down and left/right. I took one thin spacer out of each side which was too much, so I put one spacer back on the side that already had fewer spacers. There's more play than in the other side, but it's better. There's probably about a 32nd of play side to side after I set the flywheels on it.

And it looks like I need some more con rod babbitt spacers. I didn't manage to take them out and keep track of where they all came from, so reassembling them I put an identical amount on top and bottom, cinched-er up and found it to be too tight. There were an odd number of spacers total so I put the leftover one on top, but it is still too tight. Thinking back I know why: there was a wide piece of scotch tape that had held all the thinnest spacers together. I assumed this was for ease of installation, but it obviously added a thousandth or something to the spacer stack. Is scotch tape a smokstak approved method or should I get more metal spacers? If I need more where can I get them/how are they sized?

I've done my due diligence reading about timing on these engines. Neither of my two gears had a discernible punch mark on them so I experimented until it looked like the lines on the eccentric plate lined up correctly while the ignition mark on the flywheel was in line with the mark on the block. I don't think I could be more than one tooth off because it looks good. I'm assuming a tooth off in either direction wouldn't amount to a ton of visual change so I might have to experiment once the rest of the engine is together until I get it right.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:22:16 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunMobile View Post
or should I get more metal spacers? If I need more where can I get them/how are they sized?
I buy 30 at a time from the local bait and liquor store. Just remove the adult beverage and cut up the can. If you don't have a punch of the proper size, clamp the shim stock between wood blocks and drill the hole before cutting outside to size.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScooterBob For This Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 09:25:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunMobile View Post
And it looks like I need some more con rod babbitt spacers. Is scotch tape a smokstak approved method or should I get more metal spacers? If I need more where can I get them/how are they sized?
Soda (or beer) cans make excellent shim stock. They are easily worked with regular scissors, knives, and punches. Stick with metal, be it aluminum, brass, or steel. Don't use scotch tape or paper.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:42:25 PM
Registered

Thanks the aluminum can rec, I'll make a few spacers up and get that fixed.

I got an order from starbolt today so I'm getting mighty close to ready to reassemble the rest of the engine.

Quick general M question: I read that the throttle butterfly should for all intents and purposes be an airtight seal. We've got a 3hp M that runs fast and when I saw all this daylight past the butterfly I thought I'd figured it out. However, the new butterfly from SB is even worse! I'm not sure if this means I have a worn out head or there's another culprit lurking somewhere. I did leave the disc slightly loose so it could seat itself and tried it on both directions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190923_170402636.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	346647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191015_174414308.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	346648  
Old 10-15-2019, 10:25:28 PM
Subscriber

I had a 6hp M where the throttle bore was worn like that. It always ran fast and seemed to run faster as it warmed up.

I took the throttle plate to a local fab shop that had a water jet cutting table. He cut me a stack of new throttle plates in .005 increments up to I think .050 over size.

I line honed the bore back to round and fit the plates one at a time till I found one that sealed up real nice.

It worked perfectly after that.

There may be other ways to repair it too. That was just my fix.

Mike
Old 10-16-2019, 12:02:59 AM
Subscriber

throttle plate will need to be air tight if possible to run right. If you dont bore the hole you will just have to make the plate fit.