Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Farmall F-20 Questions

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 604 times

Old 10-02-2019, 01:53:05 PM
Registered

Default Farmall F-20 Questions

I looked for a place to post a first message as introduction but didn't see a place explicitly for that. (some forums ask new members to post in an intro). So if this is a breach of etiquette steer me right.

I have two Farmall F-20 tractors. The older 1937 I am thinking of selling to help finance the cost of new rubber for the later model 1939 which came stock on rubber and with brake pedals. Far more yard friendly if I want to keep a tractor around than one on steel.

I also have a pair of F-20 Steel Wheels with lugs. Rusty but still sound.

I've been away from this hobby for many years and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what a price range might be to ask for the 1937 tractor (which is on rubber) and for the wheels separately or if they were sold with the tractor what that might go for.

The '37 engine may be stuck but was running when parked in a shed. Been stored inside since early 80s.

Not trying to sell here but simply to get an idea what the market is like these days.

Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pkastagehand For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2019, 01:57:09 PM

Thanked 20,741 Times in 5,998 Posts
Default Re: Farmall F-20 Questions

Welcome to STAK...…..
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 02:08:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,001 Posts

You will get many answers, ultimately its condition, location, popularity and production numbers and then demand.
That being said, around here a stuck F-20 on rubber will bring 400-600 dollars, more if the tires are in very good condition. Optional equipment will make a difference. Rear steel in the skeleton or 12" wide variety has stayed at 200-300 dollars/ pair for a long while, front steel can be same depending on condition on both. Open face rear steel or narrow tread rear steel will make a difference. No rear lugs will drop value, worn lugs can drop value, special lugs can help value, etc.
I used to sell running F-20's and regulars for 1200-1400 on steel, never didn't sell one but sometimes had to wait for a new owner. These were not painted, just running and holding coolant.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:50:53 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig A View Post
Welcome to STAK...…..
Thanks!
Old 10-02-2019, 02:56:49 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hamm View Post
You will get many answers, ultimately its condition, location, popularity and production numbers and then demand...snipped
Thanks, useful information all.

Not sure what the lugs looked like new but they are still around 3 to 4 tall and all there. They are the flat faced (about 10" to 12" face width) with the staggered lugs.

Not sure where to list these for sale that might get me to the most tractor enthusiasts. Craigslist may be too general. Not sure I want to mess with auction sites et al. Is the classified site linked from here likely to be the best bet?
Old 10-02-2019, 04:17:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkastagehand View Post
Thanks, useful information all.

Not sure what the lugs looked like new but they are still around 3 to 4 tall and all there. They are the flat faced (about 10" to 12" face width) with the staggered lugs.

Not sure where to list these for sale that might get me to the most tractor enthusiasts. Craigslist may be too general. Not sure I want to mess with auction sites et al. Is the classified site linked from here likely to be the best bet?
The classifieds here are an excellent source, I do put ads on several other sites just because they are free and exposure is everything. Time of the year can be a lot of it also, used to be that auctions in the spring and fall were best to schedule because of farm community participation in this hobby but im not so sure that's an issue these days as much as then. When the shows are over is a good time, around about now, some are looking for winter projects.
One thing about the F-20 Farmall, they are good for what some call the entrance level collectors so they will always have some value, I notice on facebook that there is still a huge interest in tractors that are affordable, easy to work on and you can still get parts for them if only used. H Farmalls have fallen in value but I just think that gives everyone the opportunity to own one a really good tractor.
There is nothing in the world wrong with putting a price out on something that you want to sell even if its considered high, you can always dicker after that and some people consider that part of the fun and games on both ends, some don't care for it. Auction prices can be a good example of where to start, and sometimes not. We can usually buy steel wheels pretty cheaply at auctions compared to sale ads, but at a sale ad you can guarantee purchase where as at an auction you may drive hundreds of miles and spend hours only to be outbid. A smart buyer will pay a fraction extra for a sure purchase rather than rolling the dice in many cases, a friend told me he would buy something he wanted at first sight rather than shopping around because shopping around might save him money but it never saved him precious time.
Im a shop around guy, because, well...……..my funds are limited. Many folks call that tight or cheap. I saved a lot of money over the years that I could not tell you where a dollar of it is today other than on the parts shelves, tree row or in the shed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 07:39:18 PM
Registered

Having some Scots ancestry I say frugal. Others may call it cheap or tight!

Have them listed but figure if they don't sell I'll try listing in other places.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to pkastagehand For This Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 05:48:55 PM
Registered

Well, I sold the tractor in question as well as the wheels. 2 different buyers. For reference for anyone else buying or selling a Farmall F-20 in similar condition (see first post in this thread) I asked $600 and got $550.

For the wheels I got $300.

I was pleased to get that and also have them out of storage and hopefully they will be used and loved. Unless of course the guy was going to "part out" the tractor.

Thanks for answers that helped price them.
The Following User Says Thank You to pkastagehand For This Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 05:57:08 PM
Subscriber

just for future reference, we don’t have any etiquette. And a late welcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank DeWitt For This Post: