Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Opinion on Generator

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1837 times

Old 12-18-2005, 12:36:00 PM
Registered

Default Opinion on Generator

Hello guys;
I was wondering what your opinion is on Generators running at 3,600 as soon as it starts. I just don't feel "confortable" having it set for 30 days or more them imeadiatly run full rpm.
I limited the RPM for the first 6 hours to "break in" the engine but now its what the factory set it for. I make a point to run it every 30 days for 15 minutes if it hasn't been used.
I guess I am "old fashoined" and just wonder what others think. I could put on my own "gidget" to limit RPM until it is needed.
I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and great New Year.
Old way of thing person, ?
Bill Rogers
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2005, 12:59:07 PM
Registered

Default Re: Opinion on Generator

i had the same thing on my genset, it starts & goes right to the factory rated stop, & only a shut on the engine, what i did was left the factory set on w.o.t
along, but hook up a throttle cable so i can start it at half throttle, I let it warm up, then I put throttle cable wide open, its back to its factory setting to run the gen. 3,200 rpm's, when i shut it down, i bring rpm down to idle for a few minutes, then turn it off, but their are some sets the have throttle on demand.
bd
Old 12-18-2005, 01:07:08 PM
Registered

Bill, I don't think that would hurt it. Running it every 30 days I don't think is neccesary either but it wouldn't hurt it I guess. When I worked as a mechanic at a roofing company a place where small gas engines really see the worst conditions that they will ever face, they just started them and they ran at nearly full throttle soon as they started. They never seemed to breakdown. The ones that got stored over the winter got sea-foam in the tank, fuel vavle shut off, and then run out of fuel. They started first pull in the spring. But then again they were the best small engine ever made....a Honda. Dan Sheldon
Old 12-18-2005, 04:27:54 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,149 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogers
Hello guys;
I was wondering what your opinion is on Generators running at 3,600 as soon as it starts. I just don't feel "confortable" having it set for 30 days or more them imeadiatly run full rpm.
I limited the RPM for the first 6 hours to "break in" the engine but now its what the factory set it for. I make a point to run it every 30 days for 15 minutes if it hasn't been used.
I guess I am "old fashoined" and just wonder what others think. I could put on my own "gidget" to limit RPM until it is needed.
I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and great New Year.
Old way of thinking person, ?
Bill Rogers
I'd be of the same mind, we used to fit hand throttles on some of the big diesels we used on the Film & TV Lighting sets, so we could get the oil pressure up before letting them run up.

An engine that is used fairly regularly, say every month, should be OK, as the oil won't have had time to completely drain away from everywhere, but the other thing you could do it to turn it over by hand/rope with the plug lead off a few times to get the oil splashing around, that might help your conscience!

If it is a diesel then it's not quite as easy, but you can hold the kill switch or stop lever/decompressor over while you rotate the engine.

Peter