Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Those Big Oil Pulls?

this thread has 370 replies and has been viewed 108259 times

Old 04-05-2007, 10:48:36 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,745 Times in 7,528 Posts
Default Re: Those Big Oil Pulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
Mr. Pence's pictures of the flipped over tractor really are sad. I saw Charly's E mentioned in the first post after he got it home. It was an excellent tractor - he bought it from Reynolds and was one of the first out of there so he chose a good one. He had never restored it fully cosmetically so it always looked like a real good working tractor.
The truck came to take it to the show and evidently, it was from a farm equipment dealer and a steel deck outfit - tractor was on original wheel equipment. Not sure what all happened but not far down the road, the E flipped off. The front axle stayed on the float and the rest of the tractor pulled out of the front socket and landed over on the clutch pulley side. The pulley, clutch shoes and spider, etc, were destroyed; the rear wheel was stove in and the cast hub split in two and the rear axle badly bent; the main frame was sprung; the entire cooler was destroyed; when seperating, the front axle was bent and wheel damaged.
The motor stayed on but of course the "feet" were cracked. It didn't seem to harm the crankshaft. A lot of other castings were busted such as the cooling pump when the piping got all ripped apart. I saw it in Charly's yard just after it was dumped off, made you sick to your stomach and never want to send a tractor out on the road again!
He finally got a settlement on it last year and I think the wreck happened about 2000 or 2001? He got another chassis and assorted other parts here and there. I saw it last summer and it was close to back together - I am sure he has it done and running by now. It has been a real set back for Charly as he had just retired not long before this happened and was looking forward to getting at a lot of his other Rumelys. As he said, he already had the E done but had to start all over on it again. You wouldn't wish something like that on anyone.
G.
We saw the above mentioned Model E a couple of days ago. It is indeed back together and looking like a million bucks. It is inside and would have been tough to get a picture of; but it will likely be out at a show or 2 this summer. It has the early 16 spoke rear wheels, and I think, the earliest version of them with the channel iron re-inforcing inside the rims. He is now hoping to put together another E using all the left over parts and is needing a motor/motor parts, a differential, early style cooling pump, etc.. Amazing to see this one back in business after the mess it was in after the wreck.
G.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2007, 05:21:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,407 Times in 344 Posts

I thought this thread was suited for sharing this picture. We had this plate made by a local artist last year. It is made of belgian granite (blue stone).

Best regards
Marcel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rumely_stone.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	18586  
Old 08-07-2007, 05:31:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,407 Times in 344 Posts

Hi all

I didn't want to start a new thread for my question, so here it goes. Have been working this evening on my E Rumely, tested the ignitors, repaired water pump, checked the oil and pump etc. She has not run since about a year.

While turning the flywheel to see if the igniters tripped OK I noticed that they don't spark at the SPK mark on the flywheel, but about at TDC, even with the lever advanced as much as possible. I guess between the two marks is appr. 40-45 degrees. What would be a good timing when running on petrol without water injection?

Also, what clearance is needed between the igniter points when opened?

Thanks a lot for your input!

Marcel
Old 08-07-2007, 06:24:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,261 Times in 679 Posts
Photo Re: Those Big Oil Pulls?

This is probably a good place to ask this question as well.

Does anyone have photos of the air and hand starters used on the B, E or F?

We are working on our 1912 15-30 serial number 6471 and started talking about air starters. Our 1918 30-60 (serial number escapes me right know) has some but not all of the parts for the air starter (we have the pressure tank and magneto bracket for the air pump and a few bits of pipe). Our 15-30 has nothing for either starter. The parts book introduced us to the hand starter and we don't see any evidence of that on our 15-30. It has developed an insatiable curiosity on our part as to what a complete unit is like.

Also, did all of those big Oilpulls have either an air or hand starter or was it optional?

Curiosity may just get the best of us,

Randy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2780.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	21801  
Old 08-07-2007, 07:38:15 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,432 Posts

As long as folks are asking Oilpull questions, I'll ask one myself...it ain't "big", but is a "heavyweight"...anyone know where I can get some engine parts for a 12-20 K? Like, as in most of an engine? And other assorted parts?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-07-2007, 11:22:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,722 Times in 535 Posts

Mike, I'm not sure of the size, but I think there's still a tractor engine on an island in the James River here in Richmond. You'd have to rent a barge and a crane to get it out... but a friend of mine did just that with one of the two engines that were there. He got the stationary engine that was on the cast iron stationary base.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:48:24 AM

Thanked 20,731 Times in 5,993 Posts

As long as nobody has jumped on this yet Marcel, don't worry about the points opening..........make sure they close.
I wouldn't worry about the spark mark on the flywheel either.......make your ignitor adjustments in the fully retarded postion and slightly past TDC lest you pay German George an impromptu visit via air if they trip too early.......
You'll hear when the running advance is right. If you over-advance the running timing the engine will start to knock.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:09:49 AM
Registered

do any of the Ontario guys have a scan of the aerial shot taken at steam-era for the rumely expo i remember there was quite the turnout there. And if I remember correctly there was also a shot from a cherry picker boom.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:01:43 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Kvill View Post
This is probably a good place to ask this question as well.

Does anyone have photos of the air and hand starters used on the B, E or F?

We are working on our 1912 15-30 serial number 6471 and started talking about air starters. Our 1918 30-60 (serial number escapes me right know) has some but not all of the parts for the air starter (we have the pressure tank and magneto bracket for the air pump and a few bits of pipe). Our 15-30 has nothing for either starter. The parts book introduced us to the hand starter and we don't see any evidence of that on our 15-30. It has developed an insatiable curiosity on our part as to what a complete unit is like.

Also, did all of those big Oilpulls have either an air or hand starter or was it optional?

Curiosity may just get the best of us,

Randy
Can you send pictures as to what you are talking about? I have not heard about air starters on the letter series. I am very interested in seeing what you have got there though.

Forrest A
Old 08-08-2007, 03:57:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,261 Times in 679 Posts
Photo Re: Those Big Oil Pulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest A View Post
Can you send pictures as to what you are talking about? I have not heard about air starters on the letter series. I am very interested in seeing what you have got there though.

Forrest A
Attached is a scan of the No 21, Parts book for the B, E and F, it illustrates the air starter parts.

I did a bit more digging in our literature and find a No. 2 Price list of Repairs, issued January 1, 1913. There is no mention of the air starter in that parts list. I was then looking at our 30-60 reprinted manual and see fairly decent instructions and a diagram of the air starter system but it does not include the hand starter. I also found we have a an M. Rumely Company "Instructions for Operating" Rumely Oilpull Tractor. It has no reference to date but I would assume it pre-dates the name change of 1915. It also has no reference to an air or hand starter. I would assume that means prior to that time, there were no air starters. However it would be nice to know for sure. I have also attached a scan of the first page in the manual, it is a great piece of literature from the early period of the Oilpull tractor.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img354.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	21825   Click image for larger version

Name:	img355.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	21826  
Old 09-22-2007, 09:11:28 PM
Sponsor

This Model E, early style was discussed earlier in this thread. This is the tractor that rolled off a float (trailer) on the way to a show several years back. It is owned by Charlie in Ontario.
Here, the E is making its debut, or re-debut?, at the Blyth, Ontario show a couple of weeks back. Charlie did a magnificent job of putting the ol' gal back together after the tragedy. This side was damaged the most as the tractor laid over this way off the truck. The cooler was destroyed, pulley and all clutch components destroyed, motor mounts busted, rear wheel rim was stove in and hub busted and axle bent, a lot of the piping damaged, and many other things damaged. The front axle stayed on the float but was badly bent up when the tractor popped out of the front socket!
Charlie had bought the E originally out of the Reynolds collection in Alberta. It was one of the first sold when they started dispersing that huge collection. It was an excellent, original, Prairie tractor. He showed it extensively around Ontario. After the wreck, he searched Canada and the USA for parts. He got much of the radiator from Reynolds, another chassis from John Tysse, a new cast pulley (not sure, but from midwest USA?), and parts from many other sources. The clutch pulley was machined and finished at the ol' Whitelaw Co shops in Woodstock, Ontario. They are one of the earliest makers of farm steam engines and threshers!
One can't say enough about the quality of this tractor, resurrected from what seemed like a brutal end. Charlie is a top notch Oil Pull man and has most all the models, save maybe for a B. He is also a man than anyone can be proud to call a friend.
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cr1.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	23643   Click image for larger version

Name:	cr2.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	23644  
Old 09-24-2007, 10:53:54 AM
Registered

Question Re: Those Big Oil Pulls?

Hey Craig! Isnt there a video about these floating around??
Old 09-24-2007, 10:57:28 AM

^ OK OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll see what I can do!.......
Old 09-24-2007, 03:24:57 PM
Sponsor

Hey G

I talked to Charlie at Milton and he was telling me that he reassembled the tractor all by himself.
You have been to his yard as I have been and know that he does not have much in the way of tooling.
He said that he had a small forklift that would just barely lift the empty crankcase onto the frame.
I believe he assembled the tractor in the open air as his BIG shed is full!!!
It is amazing what some people can do when they put their minds to it.
Charlie should be admired for the feat that he performed after such a tragedy.
Can't wait to see the tractor in person.

Ross
Old 09-24-2007, 03:28:33 PM

Not gonna hijack this thread but I'll tell you Ross.......Danny Roen didn't have much in the way of machines either and it's astounding what the man did with what he had!.......

I suspect there were lots of trip to Fargo but still.......

I don't know how many people doubted Charlie's E would ever get put together again.......probably MOST......what a feat!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:35:11 PM
Sponsor

Craig

I was never to Danny's place but I met him a couple of times and found him to be a real gentle man and must agree with you.
If it were not for Danny I would probably not have had the privilege of taking care of the Edgar E for the last 20+ years as Alex purchased it from Danny years ago.

Ross
Old 09-24-2007, 03:37:00 PM
Sponsor

Ross and Craig!
No, he really had his work cut out. I don't know how he did it, but he did - lots of hard work.
And now! He wants to build up another E! Anyone know of any engine parts, differential, etc.?
G.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:45:05 PM

Oh I KNOW he had his work cut out!.......
A friend of mine made parts for him.........my friend told me there wasn't ONE PART on that tractor wasn't bent, twisted or broken........
Again........WHAT A FEAT!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:45:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 10,410 Times in 1,122 Posts

Amazing he got it back together! It sure looks good, esp compared to the pictures below. I'll post them for those who haven't seen the extensive damage he had to repair. They are sickening to look at, but a sullen reminder to check your chains & put on a couple extras before moving precious materials like this.

Chris Epping
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lastscan.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	23725   Click image for larger version

Name:	lastscan2.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	23726   Click image for larger version

Name:	lastscan3.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	23727  
Old 09-25-2007, 12:45:07 AM
Registered

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,432 Posts

Not only is that sickening to look at...just think if there was a small car with a family in it traveling behind it on the freeway when those 13 or 14 tons of iron and steel flipped off right onto the pavement! That would have been even worse yet ....I'll reiterate what Chris just said, MAKE DOUBLE SURE YOUR LOAD'S SECURE!

Mike