Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Question about 6hp screen cooled Famous

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2481 times

Old 01-21-2008, 08:11:53 AM
Registered

Default Question about 6hp screen cooled Famous

hi-I have a 6hp horizontal screen cooled famous and am looking for information. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a grounding contact that is held to the cylinder with 2 screws or if anyone can send me pictures so I will know what it looks like so I can make one. Also on the ignitor there is an oil hole and I can't tell if it was an open hole or if there was an oil cap for it. Any help would be appreciated . Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2008, 11:30:43 AM
Registered

Default Re: Question about 6hp screen cooled Famous

Mike,
Are these the contact's you are interested in ?
These are on my 4HP Victor but I think the famous would be the same. My 6HP famous has a Webster and doesn't have the "battery saver" contacts or I would send a photo of the same size engine.
They are mounted on a fiber material like fiber washers are made of and it would be about 5/16 of an inch thick. Sorry I have no idea if anyone makes repos.

If they are what you want and you would like more detail let me know and I will send you a full size photo by E'Mail. It shows up a lot more in the full size photos. My contact details are in my profile.

Graham in OZ
Old 01-21-2008, 09:05:27 PM
In Memory Of

Smile Re: Question about 6hp screen cooled Famous

I have had them on past IHC Famous engines. Check with these sponsors on here:Hit & Miss Enterprises, Starbolt Engine Supplies, and if they don't have them, ask who IS making them!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:27:13 PM
Subscriber

What do these do? How do you wire them? Does anyone else have some pictures of these, and how do you wire them? I have the pieces on my 4 HP Famous, and thought it was some farmer invention untill I saw the pieces in the parts book. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,406 Times in 560 Posts

Hi Tom, They are whats called a spark saver.When the engine is coasting the pushrod is foward and the contacts are apart breaking the electric circuit. When the engine unlatches the PR comes back and the contacts touch completing the circuit allowing the coil to charge up so the ign. can spark. On a Famous the points trip every cycle.Without the sparksaver you would run the battery down quickly. Back when these engines were in use most people used 6 big dry cell batteries which they had to buy new ones when they went dead. The spark saver saved you spark and $$. Rob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Charles For This Post: