Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Gas engines of the Henry Ford museum

this thread has 117 replies and has been viewed 20590 times

Old 02-26-2008, 07:12:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,927 Times in 199 Posts
Default Gas engines of the Henry Ford museum

I was on Steam traction enjoying the photos and stories of auctions over the years at the Ford museum. And where the sold items went to, and where they were currently located. And was eagerly waiting for Kevin Withers to post some gas engine pictures from the Ford Museum when things got sidetracked. So Kevin would you be kind enough to post the gas engine pics here now? And if anyone else has any pics of the early and rare engines that were, and or are still there, I'm sure many of us would appreciate it.
And lets try to keep out of the debate over why it was sold and all that BS. What we can agree on is how stupid they were for breaking up a collection like that!! What I want to know what was there,what still is there, and were the sold items are today.

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2008, 07:21:02 PM
Registered

Default Re: Gas engines of Henry Ford museum

One is in Tennessee at the larals fair grounds about 5 min from my house as well as the FMB power plant engine of the island
Old 02-26-2008, 08:56:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,106 Times in 289 Posts

Chris, I will get some more pictures scanned and on here. I am dissapointed with the way things went over in the other thread. Beth & Craig have tried to get it straightened out and Beth as also been encouraging me to continue and I owe her a BIG THANKS for all she has done. The internal Combustion Engines were the next area I was going to work on. If it starts a debate over here I will quite with the Henry Ford posts altogether . Ill see if I can get something on here tonight. Keven
Old 02-26-2008, 10:19:50 PM
Subscriber

Well Beth & Chris, I will slip my neck in the noose once again and post some more pictures . The first pictures will be of the first engines sold on this sale. I will give information where I can and will avoid names where I can.

Lot # 143 came to Minnesota but I dont know if it is here yet.

Lot #144 was bought by a good friend in California. Engine was on long term loan to the Coolspring Power Museum in PA. It as since returned home. It is being well taken care of and had lots of hours running since it left the Ford Museum. The owner does post on Smokstak I will let him decide if he wants his idenity known.

Lot #147 was purchased by Cal Susong from the Akron Power Museum in Ohio. It has since found its way to the Coolspring Power Museum and is on display & is run alot during their shows for the public. It is now owned by the Coolspring Museum and is very well taken care of.

Lot #151 I believe is in PA. I think I have a picture of this from the sale day.

Enjoy Keven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ic.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	29982   Click image for larger version

Name:	ic 1.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	29983   Click image for larger version

Name:	ic 2.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	29984  
Old 02-26-2008, 10:46:27 PM
Subscriber

These are the remaining Internal Combustion engines from this sale will put in 2 posts. Keven

Lot #152 has changed hands a couple times since the sale. It has been put into running condition and has always been well taken care of since it left the Museum. It has been shown at Rough & Tumble Kinsers PA. It did make a trip to Rollag when we had the Otto Exposition a few years ago. Last fall I seen it was residing at the Coolspring Power Museum and is on display to the public.

Lot #153 is a Sidecrank Slidevalve Engine like the one on display at Coolspring Power Museum. I have a picture from the sale. It was purchased by a good friend in Tennesee and has been put into running condition and is on display to the public. I believe the show is called East Tennessee Crankup. This is the engine that Hit & Miss Kid refered to.

Lot #155 is a Inverted Rotary Valve flame ignition engine. This engine was purchased by a good friend in Kansas and has been restored and put into running condition. It is in good hands and does get shown. The owner is on smokestak and will let him decide if he wants his identity known. I believe I also have pictures of this.

Enjoy more on the next page. Keven
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ic 6.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	29985   Click image for larger version

Name:	ic 3.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	29986  
Old 02-26-2008, 10:59:09 PM
Subscriber

This is continued from the previous post. Keven

Lot #158 I believe was purchased by Charlie Gorum if I remember right he was from Arkansas. His engines were sold several years ago so I dont know where it would be at at this time. There was a thread awhile back on his List of Engines that he had forsale.

The remaining items I dont know where they went hopefully someone will.

If this thread dont go south I will post some of the pictures from the sale if you guys & gals are interested. Enjoy Keven
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ic 7.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	29987   Click image for larger version

Name:	ic 4.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	29988   Click image for larger version

Name:	ic 5.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	29989  
Old 02-26-2008, 11:08:50 PM

Thanked 20,741 Times in 5,998 Posts
Arrow Re: Gas engines of Henry Ford museum

Thank you and don't worry Keven!
If ANYONE tries to screw this up the posts WILL BE DELETED.
It's really as simple as that.......
Old 02-27-2008, 12:33:55 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,927 Times in 199 Posts
Default Re: Gas engines of the Henry Ford museum

Keven,

Thanks for posting the pics. I would love to see some pics from the sale. And on a side note have you or your dad ever been in any of the warehouses at HFM? I hear there are some nice engines stored away there? Thanks again.

Chris
Old 02-27-2008, 01:00:58 AM
Registered

Thanks for the great pictures, keep um comeing. Jan
Old 02-27-2008, 01:16:51 AM

Thanked 4,294,967,134 Times in 3,931 Posts

Hey Keven,

Keep the pictures coming! It is neat to know that something that had been deemed "redundant" is now in a good home!

Thanks
Beth
Old 02-27-2008, 01:39:01 AM
Subscriber

Chris, Yes I was in one of the warehouses the day before the sale . It was located on the museum grounds and was open to those who had a catalog which was your ticket to the sale. It was a huge building full of pallet raking that was packed with stuff. Alot of the good items were up high and not easy to see so I dont remember what all was in there. I was surprized to find the 30 H.P. Otto that used to be on the museum floor. One of the reasons I went to the sale was to tour the museum and get better pictures of the Otto. If I had went into the museum first and not gotten into the warehouse I would not have seen the Otto. I do have pictures of the Otto that I can post but there are a lot of boxes and junk around it. I should have taken more pictures in the warehouse but I didnt . It could be we werent suppose to . I also have several old pictures of the engines when they were on the museum floor before they decided to clean house. I will post them if you guys and gals would like to see them.

Thanks Craig, I hope this thread stay on track. Keven
Old 02-27-2008, 01:51:06 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,083 Times in 474 Posts

I'd LOVE to see the pictures you took Keven! Thanks for all the scans you've put up so far!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:20:52 AM
Subscriber

Thanks for posting the pictures. Good to see the engines have all gone to good loving homes! It's nice to see engines in a static display in a museum but it's even nicer to see them up and running. A few years ago my son and I were in the Smithsonian American History Museum. They had a really nice large Economy on display in a big plastic case. My son commented, "I helped a guy start one just like that at the show last week."

I wasn't aware that the Ford Museum sold some engines although it's not surprising. A lot of museums have to sell things from time to time to raise money for purchasing other exhibits, to keep existing exhibits in good order, and to clear the way for newer acquisitions. Some people don't like it that the museums have to do this but it's just a fact of running a museum.

Better to sell the execss to people who care about the items than to let them rust away in a back room somewhere.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:13:50 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 28,469 Times in 2,571 Posts

Kevin, I would love to see some photos of the auction itself. When I get a chance I can scan a few photos of their collection as it existed back in 1989. Wayne
Old 02-27-2008, 09:10:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,981 Times in 1,749 Posts

Kevin: Thanks and don't give up . I was at the HFM a few years back and they didn't have many engines on display. But, the place was cramed full of all kinds of other interesting things .
Make a new friend today, and a lot on the way through . Paul-"OLDIHC" #227

My YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/njoldihc
Old 02-27-2008, 09:40:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,963 Times in 1,000 Posts

Thanks Keven for the pictures & info on that peticular auction. The Baraboo club back in about 1973 took a tour bus to HFM. They treated us great. They ran some of the steam engines on compressed air for the club. I remember it well. It was the first time I saw such a fantastic collection of rare engines. ( That I didn't even know existed. ) Slide valves. OTTOS, Special electric engines and Inverteds. Which I quickly fell in love with. I went back in 1994 and was dissappionted in what remained from the previous time I was there. Basically just one Slide valve OTTO.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:03:25 PM
Subscriber

The White Middleton is in Pa. Also the Weber Gearless is in Pa. One of the side crank Slide Valve Otto's in Pa. Some of the engines went to Texas and are still there. Marty
Old 02-27-2008, 04:13:17 PM
Subscriber

One nice thing. About the stuff being sold. Most went to GOOD homes. And over the years we have been able to ENJOY seeing the engines run. At collectors homes or at shows. Marty
Old 02-27-2008, 06:12:09 PM
Subscriber

Here are the Hot air engines from the sale. I dont know where any of these went. I will put these in two posts. Keven
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ha.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	30031   Click image for larger version

Name:	ha 2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	30032   Click image for larger version

Name:	ha 1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	30033  
Old 02-27-2008, 06:17:50 PM
Subscriber

Here are a couple more pictures. I will look for my other photos from the museum and sale . Enjoy Keven
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ha 3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	30034   Click image for larger version

Name:	ha 4.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	30035