Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary  Engines

Lister HA2 marine to generator conversion?

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2558 times

Old 01-21-2014, 05:36:52 PM
Registered

Question Lister HA2 marine to generator conversion?

Am I nuts?...... I'm seriously considering buying a Lister HA2M-arine (with gearbox) built in 1959 to convert into a single phase 10-12kW generator. I believe it has been reasonably maintained and was belt driving a generator recently.(gen. not incl.) I would like to direct drive a quality generator (possibly a Stamford Newage?), with the appropriate controls, and I'm wondering if this is a wise undertaking? Not sure of governor modifications, throttle control or other changes that will be required? Asking price is $1,500CDN. Too much?
Is there a better air cooled Lister diesel IE:"HR", or.....to drive a 10-12kw generator; or other make or type? Are we better off purchasing a complete reconditioned unit from a reputable company; that has been load tested, even though I can do the conversion?
My wife and I need a standby generator, and I want one for prime power with longevity, just in case! Your knowledge and experience that you are willing to share, will be invaluable to us, Thank You! Going to look at it in a couple of days, I will post pictures if I buy it.
Cheers, Jake
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 07:26:51 PM
Registered

Default Re: Lister HA2 marine to generator conversion?

Hi and welcome to the Stak.
If you have skills why not go ahead and build your own generator, that's what I did 25 years ago and I'm still using the same generator today and its been completely reliable. Its a Petter PJ3W close coupled to an ECC alternator, the rating is 18 1/4 Kva @ 1500 rpm. I have put thousands of hours on this set and with minimal servicing. In my case it also served to foster an interest in Lister/Petter diesel engines which has become my hobby. Every time I fire this old Petter up I still get a very good feeling when I listen to the even purr of the exhaust note.
The HR range Lister engines are a little more powerful than the HA range as they have a bigger bore size but at the end of the day I think that the most important thing is to find an engine that's in really good order, my advice to you also is to source a 3 or 4 cylinder unit as the exhaust note has a more even drone and much less annoying to neighbours, I think that the twin cylinder Lister engines have an annoying offbeat sound.
A very good engine for a generator in the size you mention is the Lister SR3, there are of course plenty of more modern Lister variants such as the TS/TR/TX range.

Good luck
Old 02-04-2014, 03:39:45 AM
Registered

Hi Roland,

Pardon me for the delay in responding.

Thank you for your considered reply. I have printed and underlined your comments. Also looked at some of the engines you mentioned.

I seem to have acquired the Lister/Petter, bug and imagine it will become a hobby for me as well. I am taken with the quality of their engines!

I am looking at a number of options and will post further progress on this
project in late March or early April.

skol, Jake
Old 02-04-2014, 04:39:41 AM
Registered

Hey Jake, Private Message me your email address and I'll send you some information on Lister engine types, (to PM me click on my name for a drop down menu).
Old 02-04-2014, 01:49:58 PM
Registered

a LISTER marine(ha;hr;sr,etc) will not keep steady speed with changing load. You must change governor's spring and weights.
do you have radiator;also adaptor for driving a generator??
I can sell you a good lister sr3 Kohler 10 kw;115\230v;tested for $3000.
If you need bearings(std) for the ha,i have them in stock(old genuine).
Normand
The Following User Says Thank You to moteurdelco For This Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 05:33:03 PM
Registered

Hi Normand;

Thanks for your response!

Do you have 1800 rpm weights & springs for this engine & or SAE adapter? The HA is air cooled. I will do a little research on the sr3.
I will return to this forum in late March.

Cheers Jake