Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Have you ever had anyone sell you out?

this thread has 70 replies and has been viewed 9460 times

Old 06-21-2010, 11:20:07 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,594 Times in 612 Posts
Default Have you ever had anyone sell you out?

I called a guy whom listed an engine on engine ads, we agreed on price and that he would hold it until I either found a ride for it or could pick it up in 2 months. He said this was fine as long as it was paid for and gave me his address. I mailed a check to him this morning and he e mailed me this afternoon saying he sold it to someone else and would send my check back the #@%&*^$. It was a-ok 12 hours before so I called my bank and put a stop payment on the check. 35 dollars I'm out because this guy must have gotten a little more for it. If his word was no good on the deal why would I believe he would send the check back... has this happened to any of you? This is not how I was brought up to treat people, my word is and will always be good if it cost me money in the long run that is what my dad drilled into me my whole life. Bought a engine and was supposed to get some parts for it a while back and the guy wont hold up to his end of the deal been trying for 3 months on that one too finally given up... so if you see my ad looking for a ride for a engine I no longer need it cause I got back stabbed... sorry I just had to vent.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Farmer John For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 01:35:28 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: Have you ever had anyone sell you out

I have had this happen to me more than once.It seems to be common these days.In fact it happens so often,Im shocked when a deal does go thru as planed! all you can do is vent and hope and pray that karma will bite them both in the a#! Sorry for your pain!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike King For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 06:55:35 AM
Registered

John, I have a simple rule for buying anything from another party, GET IT THE H... OUT OF THERE BEFORE SOMONE ELSE OUTBIDS YOU. A few extra bucks can tempt a lot of people to go south on a deal. I have on several occasions sold something with the item to be delivered to a show, and had a chance to make more money from other folks who saw it there before the purchaser arrived, very tempting. Long distance buying always gives me a nervous stomache, also you can't look something over from a couple of pictures, I miss a lot of details even on an in person inspection.
GUS
The Following User Says Thank You to GeneratorGus For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 08:26:33 AM
Registered

it was a nice little 2 1/2 gilson too,,oh well another one lost but thats ok i''ll find 2 more to replace it.i sold a engine here and held it ,hauled it 20 miles and sit it on the truck for the driver i treated it more careful than my own and never would have thought twice about sellig the guy out.i did exactly what i told him i would do, and if i had anything else that was in the agreement parts oilers etc. he would of had them asap he would not have to ask me about them. i would have broken my neck getting them to him as quick as i could.............
Old 06-22-2010, 09:32:28 AM
Registered

I've had that happen to me multiple times on craigslist. It's just a fact that there are lots of people out there who cannot keep their word or stick to a deal. You just have to move on and remember who they were so you never do business with them again. And in my case I've always found something better before too much later anyway. Doesn't make it any less frustrating when it happens though.
The Following User Says Thank You to SMertz For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 09:56:36 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,935 Times in 430 Posts
Default Re: Have you ever had anyone sell you out?

“TRUST” is a word widely used in this hobby, and I do still believe with most people in this hobby it is a true statement. I also believe that what goes around comes around. I listed and engine here on Harrys for a good friend of mine that doesn’t have much use for a computer. It was a very nice and desirable engine. I got an email from one of the regulars here asking questions and wanting to know a bit more about it. I was able to answer most of his questions and he was very interested, one issue was how would he get the engine from here in the NE to the mid west. I told him if he bought it I would be happy to haul it to one of the large shows that we both attend for NO charge. He then wanted to get a little $$$ off the price, I said that if that was the case he would have to talk to the seller directly as I had no authority to take less then the asking price. He wanted to know if my friend had other engines that he would sell, I said yes possibly but there were 2 engines there that I wanted for myself and asked him to respect that and to stay away from them 2. about 2 or 3 hours later I get a call from my friend selling the engine that it was sold to the person I gave his phone # to and OH by the way he is also “VERY INTERESTED” in the 2 engines I asked him to stay away from, He had a lot of questions about them as well Hmmmmmm. Of course my friend knew that I wanted them and he would never sell them before I passed on them, Why because he is a guy you can TRUST and his word is as good as gold! I of course was not happy with how the whole thing went down and was talking to a mutual friend and in a weeks time word got back to me that the buyer said that if I was fool enough to give out my contacts information then I deserved to be taken advantaged of ?????? REALLY? I mean REALLY? I was a fool? I just thought I was being a good guy helping out another collector because I thought that trust was something that all of us engine guys had in common. I mean I was a fool for helping a guy get a really nice engine that he otherwise would have never known about, was I a fool for offering to haul it for no charge 500 miles to a show after driving close to 100 miles each way to go pick it up to take it to that show and leave that much less space on my trailer to bring my own stuff. This I was doing for my friend because that is what he would do for me too. So I feel your pain and I am sorry for rambling on here it just struck a cord when I read it and made me remember this story. I have learned a valuable lesson here BUT I will not change who I am and how I conduct myself but I will never be a FOOL for that person again
Old 06-22-2010, 10:15:31 AM
Registered

Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,137 Posts

hey john

this has happened to me quite often lately. greed is the driving force behind most of this. i have even had people agree to buy stuff from me, and never sent the money, called back, or anything, and i could have sold this stuff to others whom i told it was allready sold. i have changed my tatics a lot lately to cover my a$$. how's the reid running??? i got another 15 reid last night for the hedgerow. buy one of my engines and i will guard it with a shotgun till it is picked up.

rod
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 10:25:43 AM
Registered

HEY ROD, the reid is running great !!! so slow now if it misses a lick it will die and i have to crank it and build up my muscles for the ole lady to oogle at. i will call you soon . get that shotgun loaded we'll see if we can work a deal or two in the future.. here in mo we knock liar's and cheats teeth out but i would never think of doing something like that
The Following User Says Thank You to Farmer John For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 10:48:48 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,809 Times in 402 Posts

mike, sounds like you was trying to be a nice guy and help a fellow collector out. if that is what a fool is there are several of us out there that are fools.
The Following User Says Thank You to Babs8070 For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 11:02:11 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,553 Posts

I am afraid that us honest guys are in a minority. Even in the engine circle. And even on this site.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 12:24:37 PM
Registered

Most deals i've had on harry's have went smoothly this was the worst here.did not get some extra's that were promised in a deal and that was it. I have met some very good ,honest, people here many have helped me with engine problems and knew a heck of a lot more than me and hopefuly made some new friends and that more than outweighs the couple bad things that have happened. may you all find engines in old well houses,barns.and fence row's.......john
The Following User Says Thank You to Farmer John For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 12:46:15 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,162 Posts

I bought an engine off E-Bay a few years ago. I sent the man a Bank check, and I arranged for shipping. All he had to do was take it to the shipping dock, as he had agreed to do, and I had the rest handled....The SOB never did ship me the engine!...After many calls, I finally talked to his Mother, and she had some story about he was having some problems, etc.etc....After so long, even E-Bay won't help and all you can do is file bank fraud charges and that gets tough across State lines!~
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David M. Lyon For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 02:51:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
Most deals i've had on harry's have went smoothly this was the worst here.did not get some extra's that were promised in a deal and that was it. I have met some very good ,honest, people here many have helped me with engine problems and knew a heck of a lot more than me and hopefuly made some new friends and that more than outweighs the couple bad things that have happened. may you all find engines in old well houses,barns.and fence row's.......john
except for the ones who did not stick to their word or put the s____ to anyone !!!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:05:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer john View Post
hey rod, i will call you soon . Get that shotgun loaded we'll see if we can work a deal or two in the future.. Here in mo we knock liar's and cheats teeth out but i would never think of doing something like that

hey john
it's always loaded
what good is a gun without bullets

rod
Old 06-22-2010, 04:18:37 PM
Registered

Hi Rod,
I have a question for you. How long would you wait for someone to pick up traded items? A year, a decade or over a decade?
Do you put a time limit on how long it takes for them to pick it up?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:47:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,884 Times in 3,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M. Lyon View Post
I bought an engine off E-Bay a few years ago. I sent the man a Bank check, and I arranged for shipping. All he had to do was take it to the shipping dock, as he had agreed to do, and I had the rest handled....The SOB never did ship me the engine!...After many calls, I finally talked to his Mother, and she had some story about he was having some problems, etc.etc....After so long, even E-Bay won't help and all you can do is file bank fraud charges and that gets tough across State lines!~
Hope you didn't get screwed as bad as I did a few years ago on eBay. Bought a 4hp Stover T with original paint and pinstriping still bolted to the cement pad in the basement of a house near Boston Mass. Arranged to go pick it up at a later date, but of course he needed to be paid right away. When I asked for the address, he offered to get me a shipping quote as his wife supposedly worked for a shipping company and could get me a good deal. So I put my plans on hold for a little while waiting to hear what the quote would be, still not having an actual address to pick it up at if the quote was higher than what it would cost to go get it. Days turned into weeks with little or no communication and I finally filed a claim with eBay & PayPal. They contacted the buyer, the buyer started sending me nasty e-mails, and the claim status was at the point where eBay was supposed to be contacting me again for more information. They never did, and instead closed it in the sellers favor without ever hearing all of my side of it. So, I'm out $1200.00 (+ credit card interest) and still have no engine or an address on where it is at. Credit card company was no help either because it was an out of state purchase.

And yes $1200.00 was a lot of money for a 4hp Stover, but I figured I'd never find a nicer original one. I would have had another $300.00 or so tied up in it making the trip, but it still would have been worth it to me IF I HAD GOTTEN THE ENGINE

Six months later the guy got banned from eBay after screwing 7 more people.

If anyone buys (or bought in the last few years) a 4hp stover out of the Boston area, be aware that it may be "my" engine. I'm not going to take it away from you or try to make you pay me for it, but if it is the same one, I would like to know who and where it came from so I can maybe do something about them.

Last edited by BTPost; 06-22-2010 at 06:57:14 PM. Reason: Edited for Policy Violation
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 04:47:39 PM
Registered

No time limit, but a year would be nice. I'm not going to live forever.

Rod
Old 06-22-2010, 05:02:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,884 Times in 3,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurk View Post
I am afraid that us honest guys are in a minority. Even in the engine circle. And even on this site.
Sad But True
Old 06-22-2010, 05:06:20 PM
Registered

I gave a guy over 13 years to get his stuff out of here. He called about some other stuff we had for sale and I told him if he comes to bring a trailer and we will load it for him. You can't get much nicer than that. The guy still showed up with a truck and no trailer. I thought this guy is just pulling my chain. If he really wanted it, he would have brought his trailer.

A lawyer once told me it is considered abandon property if he does not pick it up in a timely manner. We could do what we wanted to do with it. I didn't feel right reselling it. So, we scrapped the pile. All we did was move it around the yard when it got underfoot.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:48:32 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,162 Posts

I have logged thousands of miles going after engines...Always just made a "Road trip" out if it and enjoyed the ride....But, with fuel prices like they are, I thought I would try shipping them...Tried two, one went perfect, and the other...not so much!
I guess the best way is just to load up and go get it yourself.