Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

To sell or not to sell

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 2272 times

Old 12-19-2011, 05:52:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,164 Times in 305 Posts
Default To sell or not to sell

I live in California and rarely do you find decent engines out here, especially in the 5hp or larger. I came across a 7hp economy a while back and purchased it for a fair price. It is on a cart nice complete engine. That being said, I do not intend to sell it, but everything has a price. I had a guy offer me $3000.00 cash for this engine (and he is dead serious). I told him he was crazy, that it was worth maybe half that. He told me if that did not work, to make him a counter offer. While it sounds nuts to the guys on the east coast to pass on the offer, they just don't come up around here that often and I worry about sellers remorse.........What to do??
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2011, 06:42:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: To sell or not to sell

Sell Sell Sell, you could probably buy one on the east coast and have it shipped to you for way less than hes offering you. just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Hudak For This Post:
Old 12-19-2011, 06:46:28 PM
Subscriber

If you like it & can afford to........KEEP IT. Thats what I do & really don't care what they are worth,if I like them. They most likely won't ever be worth less. Also if they are that hard to come by in your area,you can be pretty sure that if you should decide to sell & adv. it somebody will grab it.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:49:12 PM
Registered

I seem to think I see quite a few engines from California for sale on this website classified ads. I would say sell it and use that money and but another one (rarer) and like was already mentioned have it shipped to you. That would make it a win win for you
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian made For This Post:
Old 12-19-2011, 07:41:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,168 Posts

I had a 1-1/2 E John Deere that was slicked out, super nice, on a VERY nice cart. Guy offered me 2,000 for it. I didn't take it. Another guy came in and told me he'd give me what he had in his pocket for it. (He pretended to be a high roller) I turned him down. He had 1200.00 in his pocket. A 7 hp Economy is a NICE engine, the're around but, don't turn up that often. If yours is in great shape, and very good mechanically, it's worth that. I normally don't buy things to resell so, what I buy, I plan on keeping. I did trade the John Deere off for another engine. A more rarer one than it was.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 12-19-2011, 11:23:41 PM
Sponsor

Thumbs up Re: To sell or not to sell

UUUMMMM, Aparently you guys are not collectors. That`s pocket change. I`d keep it.
The Following User Says Thank You to M&WJOE For This Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 12:30:13 AM
Engine Buyer

Thanked 3,925 Times in 597 Posts

If you like it and don't need the money keep it. If you love it but really need the money sell it. Its iron vs. money, you should be able to figure it out......

I want to buy your engines, especially rare ones! http://www.sideshaft.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Rozevink For This Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 01:36:25 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,280 Times in 1,929 Posts

to make him a counter offer
So - MAKE HIM A COUNTER OFFER THAT WILL PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE if he accepts!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:54:39 AM
Subscriber

All of the engines in my collection were found here in California, most of them locally in my county. So they're out there, just need to dig deeper. Ask him to up the offer by a couple more grand and keep the engine if he walks away.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:26:31 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,191 Times in 861 Posts

Dad had a little No.2 Massey 20 years back which was really original 95% paint and all complete. He liked it a lot, one day someone offered him what he told me was serious money and he took it. Last year the guy auctioned off all of his engines and dad had his eyes on it in the sale. He kept his hand in the air for the whole running of the item which I have never seen him do before or after. He won it for exactly £1k. After I congratulated him and questioned his sanity, I thought it would be £600 tops even considering its condition. He told me on the way home he had sold it for £2.5k back in the early 90's that would have bought any engine over here.

I wouldn't take anything from this story because he has sold many more engines are regretted it. All I will say is though its better to have iron than money

Joe
Old 12-20-2011, 11:31:20 AM
Registered

Greg maybe you could give us some tips on how to dig deeper It does look like it is harder to find them in CA
Old 12-20-2011, 05:10:07 PM
Registered

Engines in CA:

1. Sta-Rite 1 1/2 hp type A-1 (sparkplug, with raised Sta-Rite on hopper, c.1913): Carcass pulled out of the brush, have accumulated enough parts to make it a basket case, and working on it right now. Built engine trucks for it scaled off the pix in the Wendell book. Had it since 1987, then girlfriend now wife helped me pull it out

2. IHC M 3 hp, 1927, barn fresh, purchased in a yard sale in Davis, CA, came from Orange Co., CA, so I was told. Built an Alan Hanford truck for it. Rebuilt/replaced parts, painted it Farmall Gray (that was the bottom layer of color on it, under several layers of green), when it started on the first crank in 2008 I joined the "Know-It-All" club. Had it since 1993

3. Galloway 2 1/4 hp c.1913, barn fresh. Build a Dennis Peters truck for it. Purchased at the Woodland Swap meet 3 years ago. Problem with cylinder. Next engine in line after the Sta-Rite.

4. Unknown, possibly popcorn/peanut machine, ossicilating cylinder with double acting piston, steam engine, c.1890s, barn fresh. Purchased at Woodland Stap meet this fall. Guy I got it from said he had it running on air, and it was old when he got it 50 years ago. Real nice brass cylinder

Not counting the 1950s Briggs and Power Products, and various yard art engines, all from CA.

Have to finish the Sta-Rite, wife said I can't get more until I get another one of the dead ones running

David Hughes
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,164 Times in 305 Posts

In my reference to engines being hard to find in California I was referring to the fact that they are not readily available as they are back east. You can go through the entire Ca. Craigslist and rarely do you find an engine, and if you do they are usually common, small engines (nothing wrong with that). I realize you can go to the swap meets and buy engines. I have found several engines in bushes at estates sales that were disasters that I rebuilt. The point is 5hp and larger engines are rare in these parts especially in decent shape. At this point I am going to hold on to it. I did not buy it to make money. I just thought it was crazy that someone was willing to pay big money for that engine. If they are willing to pay it today they will pay it tomorrow!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Steffen For This Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 09:52:23 PM
Subscriber

I have been in you're shoes several times, almost always wind up regretting the sale of the item. Usually the cash winds up financing other projects . While 3k sounds like a lot for a 7hp Economy I have a friend with one for sale for $4500.00. I realize that that the Economys are not a rare piece but it is the same thing around here, 5hp and less engines are a lot more common than the bigger engines. I attribute this to the cost of the engines when they were new. Most of the south used mule or horse teams to do the chores around the farm, very few could enjoy the luxury of owning a gas engine. That being said they are kinda scarce in these parts also, most have been transplanted into our region from somewhere else. I have a few local engines that are by no means rare but I cherish them because of the fact they were bought and used right here close to home.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldironcollector For This Post:
Old 12-21-2011, 02:41:51 AM
Registered

You are right engines don't make it out to california that often. I have had really good luck with the local engine club and asking who has stuff they are willing to sell. I have found way better prices and a good crowd to deal with. If you live near central California (Sacramento) area let me know, I've got a couple contacts for 6 HP and bigger that are good to deal with.
The Following User Says Thank You to jim120 For This Post: