Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Railroads and Equipment > Railway Speeder Cars
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Railway Speeder Cars Speeder cars and their engines, rally travel lines, collecting and restoration.

Railway Speeder Cars

Fairmont Speeder Engine

this thread has 50 replies and has been viewed 16315 times

Old 03-26-2012, 07:46:05 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Fairmont Speeder Engine

I got decals for the Fairmont engines.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2012, 02:41:16 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjsmity View Post
I got decals for the Fairmont engines.
E-mail me, I might be interested......
Old 03-27-2012, 10:14:54 PM
Registered-II

If this is my last engine ever to collect it would be a speeder Fairmont. I remember being down by the railroad tracks as a kid and seeing one of these go by. It was decades later in my life that the cool sound I heard back then could come out of an engine like that. Unfortunately, at shows, most guys don't have them under control and sounding nasty. Under load they are great.

Sleep tight Great Northwestern railroad
John
Old 03-28-2012, 06:15:42 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cunningham View Post
If this is my last engine ever to collect it would be a speeder Fairmont. I remember being down by the railroad tracks as a kid and seeing one of these go by. It was decades later in my life that the cool sound I heard back then could come out of an engine like that. Unfortunately, at shows, most guys don't have them under control and sounding nasty. Under load they are great.
Around 45 MPH they sound fantastic.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:11:40 PM
Registered

Question Re: Fairmont Speeder Engine

I live in Keswickridge NB Canada. My first engine was a QHB 6hp 1924 Fairmont 3 bearing battery operated. I'm currently doing an overhaul on seals, carb, and water tank. It has been a real learning curve for me. Got to the point that I'm starting to rebuild now, hoping shes gonna run according to spec. happy rails for now/
Old 02-08-2016, 10:07:33 PM
Subscriber

These engines and the speeders are the coolest things ever.

I especially liked the ghost bridge in the first video.

Good going on you Fairmont owners!
Old 02-08-2016, 11:05:38 PM
Subscriber

I've got an early 6hp, I think, that my Dad traded for back in the mid-60s not more than two miles from where I now live. My young Daughter, of about 5 at the time was with us when he went and traded for it. I believe he may have traded strawberry plants for the engine. He used it to saw firewood for a number of years and then when he no longer needed it came to me. I used it as a starting engine for a Mietz and Weiss engine I had at that time. I was in the Republic, MO. show one year with just the two engines on a trailer and some gas and oil had built up under the Fairmont's exhaust and the next time I went to start the engine it started a fire and that was an exciting experience. Got the fire put out without any real damage. Was more careful after that Still have the Fairmont and no longer have the Mietz. Charles

Last edited by Sekiar; 02-09-2016 at 11:01:32 AM. Reason: date incorrect:)
Old 12-20-2016, 03:16:38 PM
Subscriber

I've got an 8hp tagged QBA, it will not start. Carb has been cleaned out, new main bearings. Has really good compression, ran it once when I got it about 10 years ago. Ran well then, but now only fires on gas poured in the primer cup. Once in a while, it will fire 8-10 times, real slow, with throttle at about 3/4's open. Any ideas-help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all
Fred
Old 06-07-2019, 12:22:45 AM
Registered-I

There's a guy that sometimes brings a Fairmont RK-B two-cylinder to the Great Oregon Steam-up at Brooks, Oregon. He won't ever run it until the last 1/2 hour of the last day because of its noise. Unfortunately, he has it set up on two automotive coils instead of the original buzz coil setup and he plain doesn't know how to run the engine. Sad to see it mistreated but I'm just a bystander.

Many people think they're hit-and-miss but they're not. As was pointed out earlier they run very smoothly under load but spit and bark at idle.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:47:42 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,584 Times in 4,241 Posts
Exclamation Re: Fairmont Speeder Engine

The Maytag, like the Fairmont, should use OIL, not a modern lubricant. non-detergent (SAE 40 in the early Fairmonts, SAE 30 in 'later engines. Type TCW-3 is also a good oil to use, it is specifically designed for 2 stroke engines. Modern lubes are made for high-speed engines (12 to 18000RPM) and do not have the lubricity that a low speed (12-1400 RPM tops) big bore engine needs. Make sure to mix the gas well and shake the engine (and tank) well before starting, if the engine has set a while.

As I stated before, let the engine idle and shut off the fuel to stop. Do not shut off the fuel when the engine is running fast. The idea is to get the crap gas out of the carb and jets so that it does not corrode the aluminum or brass workings in the carb. DO NOT cut the fuel/oil ratio on early Fairmonts or Maytag engines. To do so will cause bearing failure. The early Fairmonts used 12:1, the later, with roller or ball bearings used 16:1. The Maytags used 16:1 If in doubt, use the 12:1 ratio, you can't go wrong with it. I believe there is a library that has Fairmont production data and possibly copies of owners manuals. Look in the Stak archives, I know it has been posted before.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 09:47:00 AM
Registered

For owners of Fairmont engines that want full information about every engine that Fairmont ever made contact the Martin County Historical Society / 304 E. Blue Earth Avenue / Fairmont, Minnesota / 56031-2865 / 1-507-235-5178 / Ask for Lenny Tvedten / directormch@frontier.com / They have all the records. If you happen to have a Fairbanks Morse/Sheffield RR track car engine made by the Sheffield Car Company in Three Rivers, Michigan I may be able to help you. I have 21 books covering 26 cars (1916---1940). I also have factory car pictures (1900-1920).
Send me a PM. Sylvan82
The Following User Says Thank You to sylvan82 For This Post: