Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs Model T on Ebay

this thread has 42 replies and has been viewed 5573 times

Old 01-24-2009, 05:11:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,259 Times in 372 Posts
Default Re: Briggs Model T on Ebay

Sky, The low tag is a lubrication tag only.. The model and ser# are only on the block. My FE is within a few hundred of the one on ebay.. 140296328062

After what other ppl have gone through I would look long and hard at this sellers items for sale. "T" engine that is<

Last edited by Randy Hart; 01-24-2009 at 05:17:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2009, 10:36:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts

I know the person selling the FE and can say he's been 100% honest in its description. Its a good original engine and has been fixed as best/strong as possible short of casting another block.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:33:56 PM
Registered

you guys with the wmb and wmi arn nuts. I've bought several engines from this guy mostly old and all were just what he said good running and in good shape. he does not state that his engine are new, restored or perfect. go to a swap meet find yourself a T for 150 bucks (I wish) and restore it, if you can. seriously good luck with the 150 dollor T
Old 02-07-2009, 10:40:41 PM
Subscriber

Anyone know why this auction was pulled and what/who ended up with it?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:54:47 AM
Sky

Dont pop off to me like that by god. When i state i see something for that price that means i HAVE seen it for that price. When i state that a dude ripped me off dammit im gonna let it be known! dont feed me THAT sh*t cuz i aint uh swallern. & thanks for the luck. I'll need it to find that T back again. or would you like to hear about the time i found a Q for $125. didnt buy it cuz the carb was busted in a crusial place. I can restore just fine. Care to look at my pics?

Last edited by Sky; 02-08-2009 at 01:04:06 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 01:41:13 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambitace71 View Post
you guys with the wmb and wmi arn nuts. I've bought several engines from this guy mostly old and all were just what he said good running and in good shape. he does not state that his engine are new, restored or perfect. go to a swap meet find yourself a T for 150 bucks (I wish) and restore it, if you can. seriously good luck with the 150 dollor T
Hey I still have that WMI if your interested ! buy at your own risk!!! Sorry dude I can't sell something that is busted up glued, covered up would you? this hobby is fun for me not just a profit game.
My engines are not new and or perfect but I will tell you if a fin is broke ,carb is glued- actually I would never sell something with a glued carb And I have bought rare engines for well under $150 and totally restored them. And yes I can restore like Sky says look at my pictures page I think i've done alright. Again sorry for the rant Times are tough enough these days.

Bob
Old 02-08-2009, 01:56:39 AM
Subscriber

Wonder if I should mention that my 1931 Moto-Mower Jr with the Model T was only $150.00 with a spare parts engine?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:33:29 AM
Registered

Now Motormowers that hurts!!! that is a once in a lifetime deal. Great to hear there are still deals like that out there..
Old 02-08-2009, 12:21:52 PM
Subscriber

Yeah but it was left outside 40 years and there wasnt a moving part on the whole machine. It was the toughest resto yet for me. And if you look at today it still looks like its been left outside 40 years and doesnt run, with the exception of the new wood handle. But it does start and run well. Burns more oil than 10 engines I know from the trashed cylinder, but hey that gives it character.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:47:40 PM
Registered

Please somebody tell me what restored means. no disrespect to the guy with the moto-mower but if you are done restoring an engine it shouldn't look like it is 40 years old also it should not smoke or burn tons of oil.to me a restored engine should be torn down, all parts striped or medablasted, repainted, new bearings, seals, new rings, and all other parts brought back to NOS condition. as far as cosmetics the proper paint and decals should be used. for example the engine with the yellow decals are wrong. Briggs never used a yellow decal they used gold. In fact it was rare for any briggs engine to have a decal until about the 1930's starting with the model A and Y engines. Model M, T, R, Q, W, L, and others never had decals. all I want is some input as to what other collectors call restored.I see lots of engine that are called restored, but they are not. If I buy an engine on ebay that runs and has been repainted that is one thing and I accept it as is no complaints as long as it runs and look good. If it is restored that is different. also if you are going to call it restored it should have the proper dated flywheel for the tag. most of the time a broken flywheel is thrown out but it should be fixed and reused. or a replacement with the proper month and date stamped on it.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:20:15 PM
Subscriber

Actually Briggs did make yellow large decals as found on the Ys and others.

A broken flywheel should be fixed, I DONT THINK SO. That is a very dangerous situation, even if you dont run it as someone in the future may.

In 25 years, and by looking at about 150 plus flywheel dates, I can tell you an exact match with the tag is really rare. The best you can hope for is within 3 months, either way. I cant explain that and used to think that many flywheels were changed but find that highly unlikely.

Restored is what an owner wants to call it. The buyers responsibility is to inspect it and pay accordingly. Then he can call it what he wants. They are only original once! Is a NOS part really NOS if it is extreemly dented, broke, rusted ? Actuall it is. Buyer responsibility again.

The original ebayer in question is selling running re-paints, in my opinion.

Gary
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GaryH For This Post:
Old 02-08-2009, 04:36:31 PM
Registered

Getting the exact date and month on the flywheel is next to impossible sometimes. Unless you have an engine that has never ran before and even then most of the time you find engines with flywheels of the same year but a few months later as Randy mentioned. When these engines were on the assembly line they were put together with the parts on hand and the time. Also as time went on sometimes these parts either got broken or warn out and then need to be replaced. Also flywheel should never be fixed unless it is replacing a hub that is riveted on like early F and P motors where, when this is done right with new rivets it is like the original. Fins should NEVER be re attached with glue or other substances this is just plain dangerous. Also I have found that there are 2 types of restorations mechanical and complete. Mechanical restorations include everything it takes to get the engine to run again, but doesn't have to include paint or decals. A complete restoration is as how you described. I have seen this Mower in person and I can say first hand that is in nice working order, so what it smokes many engines do it just the nature of our hobby.
~ Jonathan

Also just as a side note I paid $ 50 for my Model TA and $50 for my Model S
Both needed some parts but both ran well after some minor work was done. The S needed more work than the TA but both were fun projects
Old 02-08-2009, 04:55:55 PM
Sky

Im all for originality and correctness. However you have your prefrences aswell. & you have you conditions in between. There are times when i cant be 100% CORRECT on an engine becouse it's my prefrence OR the fallowing replacment part to correct the problem is beyond my pocket limit SO, i will go a diferent route BUT doing it CORRECTLY, i will NOT coble. Thats not in my dictionary plus some certain parts absolutly cannot be found anymore so i have to make do with a newer but same era engine part but inless you take it apart you cant tell the diference. Poor boys like me have to be innovaitive but i will stay correct about it all the same. Again, inless it's my prefrence or the "scheme" im going for. One lesson to learn in this hobby is to do what sutes YOU. All of my engines you see in my pics are correct for instance, exept a couple and that was just the scheme i was going for. All the same you DO see it in correct form engine base wise. I do not agree on repairing a cracked flywheel though. Thats a BIG no no. For reasons gary said. expecially if it's a zinc flywheel and we all know zinc or "potmetal" is pretty much a junk metal from the get go.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:11:20 PM
Registered

guys i agree dont ever use a damaged flywheel i dont care how rare it is dont do it bart
Old 02-08-2009, 08:47:19 PM
Subscriber

Well it all depends on what type of resto you think I did. I never implied I retored it to a new mower again with paint,etc. My resto was the type that restored it to a working/running mower again. If I engage the clutch off it goes and it will cut grass as pitted as the reels and be knife are. Thats what I meant. Its still worth plenty as rusted as it is without a complete overhaul.

As far as decals, Ive seen straight fin FH engines with whats left of a Briggs diamond along with some M,Q,R series that were all original still.

The flywheels are a weak point on these early Briggs. If a flywheel is warped,cracked, falling apart its considered junk by me. Besides, how can you date a pre 1928 flywheel anyway? They werent dated. The only way to tell is the flywheel itself. The FC flywheels Ive seen had a cast in tappered cup and the FE was cast but straight across with a small shoulder at the end. The F and FB look alike to me.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:07:07 AM
Registered

Hi, I have been watching this sight for a few years and I think it's time I contributed. I purchased the model T that was on ebay for 1000.00. I picked it up, the guy started it for me when I got there and it runs good. seems to me that he is an honest guy the engine was better then described. he sold me a good used running engine not a restored engine, like in his ad. While some of you are moaning and groaning about this guy I have a very rare addition to my collection that most will never have. also you that find these rare engines at swap meet are very lucky appreciate it don't brag, and if you do find a model T for 150.00 buy if before you brag about it. also as far as the broken carb on the WMI, those small carbs can not be glued back together. I will bet the gasket is glued. if you carb is actually glued together then I would like to see how it is done. I checked his feedback and you will find as I have that most of his negative feedback has come since the new ebay rules that make it so sellers cant give negative feedback. this is bringing bad buyers out of the woodwork and if ebay keep going like it is he like some other sellers I know will probably find some other place to sell there engines. thanks for letting me rant. Chris
Old 02-14-2009, 01:35:45 AM
Sky

Who said we were bragging. The way i see it we have a right to give our clear displeased thoughts of being ripped. Only thing i see is if someone continues to buy reguardless of warning well....dont say you've not been warned. That, i dont want to hear a gripe about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 09:02:52 AM
Registered

Hmm! I don't remember seeing a buy it now price , and I don't remember it going the full term in the auction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Kurtz For This Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 10:41:31 AM
Registered

Tank straps were cut to get the wrong sized tank on it. Breather doesn't appear to be the correct length for a T. Parts manual doesn't list a kick start as being available for that engine. Would be very concerned with what other creative modifications were made.

Last edited by Don Naismith; 02-14-2009 at 10:57:00 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Naismith For This Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 11:15:50 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Who said we were bragging. The way i see it we have a right to give our clear displeased thoughts of being ripped. Only thing i see is if someone continues to buy reguardless of warning well....dont say you've not been warned. That, i dont want to hear a gripe about.
I think if a person buys something thats misrepresented they have every right to gripe. Just on principle. Its honesty thats given this hobby a good name all these years why change that?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Motormowers For This Post: