eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBay© Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBay© Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBay© Auction Discussion

ebay rip briggs parts

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2404 times

Old 12-28-2006, 02:01:40 PM
Subscriber

Default ebay rip briggs parts

Hey!
Get your red hot Briggs 5 HP Magnetron coil on ebay for only 69.95. Why make that long trip to the dealer where list is 38.25 ?
Watch ebay long enough and you will be able to buy a 5s with a verticle motor carb and tank, sold as original.
Todays rant brought to you by "briggsetc".
Gary
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2006, 04:31:40 PM
Registered

Default Re: ebay rip briggs parts

Hey Gary, I agree that's a legitimate gripe, but I've also dealt with sellers that would give us a square deal no matter how little you really knew about what you were trying to buy. There was this one fella I bought from regularly on eBay--What WAS his handle??? Signed, "srjesterbmttx"
Old 12-28-2006, 08:06:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

Buying small engines & their parts on eBay can be sorta like going to the horse races. No gauranteed winners, but you can improve your odds by paying close attention, studying the situation, asking a lot of questions and trusting your gut.
Just received some parts from a seller I will not identify. Good parts at a fair price, but shipping was fairly high and took WAY too long. Bought 2 lots that ended 2 weeks apart. He did not send the first untill well after he would have received my payment for the second. Did not combine them which would have saved me quite a bit on the shipping. I realize that by paying with a check there will be a delay while he makes certain that the check is good, but there is no need to make me wait a full month before shipping the parts.
My second major gripe is with sellers that have no experience with engines. Please - stick to selling Beanie Babies! After many e-mails to one lady who did not want to ship a small engine (a MW E-2 Hummer) I convinced her that I would assist all that I could, including sending her a suitable box with a plywood base for the engine and pre cut sheets of 2" thick styrofoam sheets to pack around it. Would have cost me less than $10 to get this to her, and another $25 to UPS the engine back to me. This set off a torrent of lame excuses - The UPS store didn't have a nice parking lot (?!) and she has 2 toddlers and would have a difficult time getting the box & 2 kids to the store. She was only listing this engine for a friend and it seems he wasn't happy with the final selling price he was getting (up until I placed a bid, there were NO bids on it since it was listed with no shipping, pick-up only) Ended up paying $20 to have it packed by someone that obviously never packed a small engine before and another $35 to have it come Parcel Post. Miraculously, it arrived undamaged!
I have dealt with very many good people and received excellent engines, parts & service on most of my eBay engine purchases. There are a number of names that I'm sure most of you would recognize that provide good honest dependable service and have the knowledge & experience to make dealing with them enjoyable. Support the good ones!

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 12-31-2006, 02:48:24 PM
Subscriber

Well put !!
Ebay sellers need to know what they are getting into and a little knowledge of what they are selling would help.
Boy,there are a great bunch of small engine guys that are great to deal with. I think I have delt with them all.
Kinda like the guy from Connecticut Yankee Tractor guy who sent a tee shirt unpaid that we were in a hurry for {birthday}. We asked him why and he said he had never benn stung buy a person in the old engine community.
Dont get me going on shipping.... I find that at least 90% of problems are from poor packing.
Gary
Old 12-31-2006, 04:50:34 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,285 Times in 2,499 Posts

Ive bought stuff that it was amazing that it made it through the shipping channels. Other times, the item was busted and no amount of insurance can replace an antique. What some people do is just plain stupid.

In fact, I have received packages that appeared to be packed with what came out of their garbage can. Multiple pieces of varied trash used as packing and loose packing at that.

The latest deal is the USPS flat rate box. That means you can cram an item into the box right up to the edges without any regard for crush distance or the actual weight carrying capacity of the cardboard.

There is no substitute for packing an item so that it can be thrown across the room or off the truck to the ground. You just know that somewhere along its pathway, someone is going to give it that test. It that means a double carton, so be it. I like the beanie baby analogy. That's the limit of some sellers.

As to prices, I'm packing it in on the books and manuals selling. People are willing to bid twice the price for a cheap photocopy on eBay instead of looking for an on-line store. It has become a no-win situation.