eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBay© Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBay© Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBay© Auction Discussion

Briggs Model F on Ebay !!

this thread has 61 replies and has been viewed 9997 times

Old 02-07-2007, 01:29:04 PM
Registered

Default Briggs Model F on Ebay !!

Did anyone see the Briggs Model F engine on Ebay ? It was only on for a little while, the seller had it up for bid at a starting price of $ 400 when I first looked at it later he had it for a buy it now of $ 1,000 . It was missing the piston, rod, head, push rod and intake tube. I know you can use all later F-series parts to make this engine work, but was it really worth $ 1,000 ?
Here is a link to the auction. 120084191119

~ Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 03:08:06 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Briggs Model F on Ebay !!

I see from the picture that it has what looks like a peace pipe carb. That alone would probably be worth more than half of the $1000.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:48:03 PM
Registered

Hi Guy's;
It seems like alot of money to me also for a incomplete engine, but if he has the parts he will be able to build a nice rare engine. In my case, I have a very limited F series parts stash, so it sure wouldn't be in my reach.
Also, the buyer may have more hobby money than many of us. I am constantly shocked at some of the prices people are getting/paying for these engines. Could I be showing my age?!
I am glad the buyer will get a "parts" engine up and running so it can be enjoyed by people like us.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:59:04 PM
Registered

I did see this listing right after the seller posted it. What surprised me as much as the selling price was that the seller added the BUY IT NOW after the auction started(I wasn't aware you could do that). I also noticed the buyer was either looking only at the rarity of the item or has no regard for a seller's feedback rating. I would have been more particular. Jester
Old 02-08-2007, 12:14:22 AM
Banned

Thumbs down Re: Briggs Model F on Ebay !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I did see this listing right after the seller posted it. What surprised me as much as the selling price was that the seller added the BUY IT NOW after the auction started(I wasn't aware you could do that). I also noticed the buyer was either looking only at the rarity of the item or has no regard for a seller's feedback rating. I would have been more particular. Jester
Who are you to judge regards or seller's feedback rating!!!!!! Im the seller,talk to me,dont talk about me!!!!!!!If you dont know the whole story,why try to tell it!!!!!!!!!! If buyer is happy,seller is happy,what the problem? Get real.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:51:08 AM
Registered

Wayne, I offer you my sincerest apology for any and all offending words in my previous post. My comments were not meant to excite but to inform. As you stated, I did not talk to you, and I certainly hope your buyer is happy. Who I am is a potential buyer who had an interest in & viewed all of your current engine auctions. When I saw this thread, I decided to respond and I merely posted my decision-making process as I viewed your auction listing. That's as real as I know to be.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:39:10 AM
Registered

Wayne,
Even though the engine was incomplete, it looked like it was in great shape, I wish I could have afforded it, I would have bought it on the spot too. I hope the buyer puts it back together so it can be run again, It's always great to hear of another Model F being saved. How long have you had it ? do you have many other early model F's or parts ?
~ Jonathan
Old 02-08-2007, 11:08:39 PM
Registered

I am the buyer of this engine. I see it has started a thread here so I will join in. I stumbled upon it the other evening and when I saw it it had a BIN price of 1K. I actually gave this quite a bit of thought before I bid. I studied the pic clearly and enlarged it for detail. The engine had the "right" parts on it...the peace pipe carb, the one lug base, the special block with brass tag and oil provision, smooth mag flywheel, flat belt pulleys, etc. I looked at the buyers feedback.... I thought of a way to buy the engine to "CMA".....
I realized that this would not last long. The F engines I have seen for sale are near 2K. They are not available everyday as you Briggs collectors know. Then I thought about how long I have wanted one to add to my collection and that I am not getting any younger. Those that do have these in their collection don't usually part with them. So I bit the bullet and hit the buy it now button.
I talked to the seller and he was very nice and said he would pack the engine carefully to my specifications..i.e.. double box,,,,
If anyone has pictures of their F engine I sure would like to see. As I understand these had a sheetmetal rocker arm. I am not sure if there was a difference in the head from the FH engine. If anyone is willing to part with the missing parts such as the piston and rod, head, rocker, etc. please let me know. I am also still looking for governor parts and a mixer for the Fuller and Johnson Pump engine. Any help is greatly appreciated. Greg
Old 02-10-2007, 02:13:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts

I have yet to find an F or FB to complete my F series collection,minus FJ series because im only into OHV Briggs. Oh well, one day maybe.

Greg if I had seen that F engine before you, you would STILL be looking for one today. have fun with it.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:19:10 AM
Registered

Congradulations Greg!
I was viewing your F Briggs engine and have been following this "thread" with much interest. Once you get this engine all completed you will really something special that will appreciate in value at the same time your enjoying it.
For some of the parts you need you might try Charles Camara of Tiverton, Rhode Island. He has reproduced many parts for the F series engines and does have some NOS and some used parts. I have delt with him myself and he is very fair and a honest guy to deal with. His phone number is 508-676-9262 and hopefully he can help with this project.
Please keep all us all informed on how your doing with this great engine. As you can see from this thread, you have a following routing for you!
Old 02-11-2007, 12:03:05 PM
Subscriber

The head is a two bolt head only used on F and FB models. Congrats on buying a hard to find engine.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:34:23 PM
Registered

Thanks Bill for that information. Thank you too Mark. I have dealt with Charles before and he has some nice reproduction parts. I was hot and heavy into FH's back in 1990 and he supplied me with the missing air cleaners and mufflers. I know I can locate the missing parts with everyone's help. I have been looking at model F engines for quite some time now and decided that now is the time. The chance of finding one cheap could take a lifetime and I have already used up much of mine. Please keep me in mind in your travels and if anyone goes to Portland perhaps you may see a two bolt F or FB head there. I will pay whatever you want for it of course. Greg
Old 02-11-2007, 02:51:01 PM
Sky

Only F i'll ever own is in pictures. oh maybee someday i'll finally have one..but that someday dont look like anytime soon.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:57:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,259 Times in 372 Posts

Never say never Sky, When the rust God's decide you need another something you will find it! but not before.. I found my first FJ-2 ( high speed )in a junk yard and didn't know it was not a M for close to 20 years ( no tag ) Then when I bought my second it was the most I paid for an engine to date.. since sold that one to a friend who needed it for his collection. I don't own a F but I'll never rule out finding one in a odd place.. Randy Hart Ohio
Old 02-11-2007, 10:15:46 PM
Subscriber

Sky the best thing to keep in mind is if you come across a rare Briggs for a great price buy it, even if its something you dont need you can hang onto it to use as trading stock with another collector some day for something you do need. Always trade up by keeping the cream and selling the milk.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:22:21 PM
Registered

Hey Greg, a head for that engine just went on auction on eBay! Check out #120086442730--& Best Wishes on getting it. Stephen
Old 02-19-2007, 10:20:56 PM
Registered

Did anyone see the F/FB head it went for, $456 by it's self almost half of what the model F engine went for ! WoW
that breather went cheap, I almost got it but someone wanted it more than I did.
~ Jonathan
Old 02-20-2007, 12:24:46 AM
Registered

Jonathan, did you notice the seller of that head is listing a lot more FB parts. It would appear that he is parting out a complete(and from the looks of the parts--a restored) engine! I'll probably get another nasty reply for this, but I couldn't do that. Maybe it's worth more money as parts than it is as a complete engine, but I couldn't do it. I hope appearances are deceiving.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:42:57 AM
Registered

Jester,
I am with you on that thought; I could never do such a thing to such a rare Briggs engine. My belief about this engine is that the engine had some major mechanical problem and didn't run and the seller took it apart cleaned and painted all the parts to sell it for the most possible to people who need the parts. That carb is already up to $ 255 and who knows it might bring more then the parts F engine the way things go for sale on Ebay. That head went for more than I paid for my running FB engine. My FB might not have the peace pipe carb but it sure does run well and that all I really care about.
~ Jonathan
Old 02-20-2007, 08:57:59 AM
Subscriber

I have been watching those parts and shacking my head. I cant believe someone would part out an FB when they could get more for it as a whole engine. Granted its his to do what he wants with it but I think its a pretty stupid move for such a very rare Briggs. Guess preserving history comes second to fattening up the wallet. If I had the spare cash I would have bought all the parts and put it back together. Sad.