eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBay© Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBay© Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBay© Auction Discussion

Briggs FJ-2 on Ebay

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 5385 times

Old 11-02-2007, 12:44:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts
Default Briggs FJ-2 on Ebay

Not sure how many noticed but there was an FJ-2 listed as an M engine. Starting bid of $9.99 with no reserve and was only at $50.00 or so dollars with four more days to go as of this evening. Just looked at it now and its ended with an added buy it now option of $250.00. Sounds like he got an email from someone with an offer and added the buy it now feature. DONT YOU JUST LOVE A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD??? Im sure there were some folks out there that would have gone that high if not higher at the auctions end had it run its course. Gotta love them sneaky Pete's that hide behind an Ebay screen name. I wonder if someone should email the stupid arse and tell him in his greed he still GAVE away one of the rarest Briggs for $250.00??
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2007, 12:58:25 AM
Sky

if i would have saw that..at 250 bucks i would have baught that dude! ...im not the one that actually did...but if i did...BOY OH BOY!!

say.......did you buy it... ..........you did didnt you?......whut did you do motomowers? did you pull a sneaky pete?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:37:46 AM
Subscriber

I was going to wait until Sun night and throw a bid in on it in the last 15 mins. Its not OHV but still a VERY rare engine. Although im sure I would have been outbid ( because there are collectors out there now who HAVE to have it no matter what insane cost ) , I and everyone else watching it would have had a sporting chance. Im just laughing at the fact the bone headed idiot gave the engine away in his haste. It could have went as high as $1500.00 with a total of only 591 engines made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
say.......did you buy it... ..........you did didnt you?......whut did you do motomowers? did you pull a sneaky pete?
Sorry to disappoint, but no.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:55:16 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Briggs FJ-2 on Ebay

John
You have some pretty good eyes. I looked at it when it was first posted in eBay, and now again that you have posted this and to my untrained eye, it still looks like an “M” (of course, I can’t say I’ve ever seen an FJ-2 before). Give me an education if you would, and tell me what distinguishes this as an FJ-2 as opposed to an “M” and how you could tell.
Thanks for sharing this knowledge with me (and us).
Old 11-02-2007, 10:52:48 AM
Registered

Hello,
Maybe somebody should email the seller and tell him how screwed he got on that rare engine. He might even reneg on the buyer! If he's willing to screw everybody else by taking a email offer and adding a "Buy it now" option, then I doubt if he'll have much problem reneging on the "buyer"!

Nothing like throwing a monkey wrench into somebody's perfectly planned heist!
Maybe email ebay and complain. (It won't do much good, but it might put the fear of god into somebody)

Thanks!
Richard
Old 11-02-2007, 12:09:23 PM
Sky

aaww..i'd just let'em be...i just count them off as being a lucky ducky...if the deal actually goes through. in a way it does seem a bit suspicious that the seller seemingly wanted to get rid of the engine in a sure fire hurry though but i dont know that to be fact. but i tell you this, i sure wish ta heck i was there and saw that! reminds me of the cushman we got for $20 bucks.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:38:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts

If you guys look closer at the auction you'll see that he ended the auction early with no deal going through eBay. Only the seller and the buyer know what it sold for at this point.

The only reason the buy it now can be seen at this point is that all bids were cancelled when the listing was ended. When the listing first started the buy it now was there until the first bid was placed.

I was just looking at the photos again. Why does the fuel line run in a complete circle around the engine?? Never saw that before...

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 11-02-2007, 06:52:31 PM
Subscriber

Well if he added a "buy it now" option of $250.00 a few hours before he ended the auction, whats the odds the engine sold for less than the $250.00?? I mean seriously. If I was a collector and saw that engine and knew exactly what it was with a buy it now of $250.00 I couldnt have placed my bid fast enough to buy it before someone else jumped on it. What prob happend is someone saw that auction for $250.00 buy it now and emailed the seller and said i'll give you $150.00 or $200.00 if you pull the auction immediatly. The only way we'll know for sure is if he lists the engine again, and has a reserve set on it this time. He didnt know what he had for sure. He priced that garbage FH at $400.00 thinking its the rarer of the two. It just seems fishy to me from what I see.

BTW Junkologist, did you see that FB mag plate that was on a few weeks back? Seems it showed up after all after it and the mag flywheel were described as already sold prior to the rest of the engine in several auctions although the mag flywheel never got listed.

Must be a lot of used car salesmen getting into the old engine circuit.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:00:14 PM
Subscriber

I saw that auction from the very START and it DIDNT have a buy it now until the mid week. Started at $9.99 I believe and was in the $50.00's when it got pulled.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:02:16 PM
Subscriber

The seller didn't "add" the buy it now after the auction started. It was there when it started and went away when the first bid of $9.99 was placed. When the seller ended the auction early, all bids were cancelled and the ended listing again shows up just like it was when first listed, only this time as a completed item. This is how eBay works.

SmokStak member #146
Old 11-02-2007, 07:06:21 PM
Subscriber

I know how Ebay works, I also know I saw that auction at the onset with NO bids and NO buy it now. Explain that.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:07:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,259 Times in 372 Posts

Very good eye John ! I have added a pic of the engine and circled the key tell-tale points.. I also wonder about the intake tube diameter ? My Mall Gen. engine / FJ-2 is the larger high speed version and the one I had on a Cooper was a smaller ( since sold to a good friend )

In the upper circle there is the bolt on cylinder nut
and the lower circle shows the offset (foot) that bolts the block to the pan.

There was a Cooper with a FJ-2 sold a year or so ago for 125.00 and the guy scrapped the mower and was looking for a M tag.. Things happen

Thanks Mike ! Randy Hart Ohio
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FJ-2.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	25303  
Old 11-02-2007, 07:08:03 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormowers View Post
I saw that auction from the very START and it DIDNT have a buy it now until the mid week. Started at $9.99 I believe and was in the $50.00's when it got pulled.
So, you saw the auction when there were zero bids placed and the buy it now wasn't there? I saw it right after it started and there was one bid placed for $9.99. The scenario I explained is the only way it could've went down. If you want to believe otherwise, go ahead.

SmokStak member #146
Old 11-02-2007, 07:12:18 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkologist View Post
I was just looking at the photos again. Why does the fuel line run in a complete circle around the engine?? Never saw that before...
Thats the venting system on an FJ-2 and is original. The give away for me was the fuel tank and the offset feet on the base of the block. You can even glimpse a cylinder bolt to the left of the carb depending on your resolution quality. This may have been vented this way for high altitudes???
Old 11-02-2007, 07:19:55 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkologist View Post
So, you saw the auction when there were zero bids placed and the buy it now wasn't there? I saw it right after it started and there was one bid placed for $9.99. The scenario I explained is the only way it could've went down. If you want to believe otherwise, go ahead.
Im just stating what I think may have happend with this auction from what Ive seen on it so people on here can be aware if anything. What people want to believe is their biz. Ive just gotten to be VERY cautious of Ebay sellers these days because as many HONEST, UPFRONT, good people there are selling on there, there is also a growing number who are so full of shyte its spewwing out their ears, just for financial gain. Take it for what it's worth, I could care less.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:23:13 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hart View Post
There was a Cooper with a FJ-2 sold a year or so ago for 125.00 and the guy scrapped the mower and was looking for a M tag.. Things happen
Randy Hart Ohio

AH ignorance is bliss aint it Randy? LOL!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:10:55 PM
Registered

Unhappy Re: Briggs FJ-2 on Ebay

I don't see why people get upset about ebay sellers doing things like adding "buy it nows" or pulling auctions. As far as I'm concerned they can sell their items however they want to, afterall, ebay allows it. Can we really criticize someone for wanting to get maximum $$ for their engine? Isn't that what we all want to do? Yeah some people lost their chance at a $250 fj-2 but there is another side to the coin. Would anyone here have wanted to be the guy that sold his fj-2 he thought was an m for $250?

I doubt the seller did anything underhanded here. It would be smarmy for someone to email the seller and ask him to pull the auction but the seller would have to be a moron to actually do it. An email like that is a pretty big tipoff that the item is worth more than you're being offered. Why not just tell the guy to bid on it?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:26:33 PM
Registered

Something about that engine made me think it wasn't an M, I just wasn't to sure about it. This could have been a real nice bargin at a swap meet if someone bought it just thinking it was an M. Nice Work John !!
~ Jonathan
Old 11-02-2007, 11:48:26 PM
Registered

John,
I also saw this the other night at work after it had been listed and there was no buy it now, I do remember seeing that FH (Xmas Colors) for a buy it now of $ 400. It's anyone's call what happened , we may never know.
That's Ebay for you !

~ Jonathan
Old 11-03-2007, 12:20:19 AM
Subscriber

Qurple as far as im concerned once you've committed yourself on an auction thats it. I learned the hard way once when I listed a John Deere mower I wanted $150.00 for which was a steal and I could have got that but I didnt put a reserve on the auction. The result was it ended up selling for $50.00. I didnt pull the auction as there were already bids. Maybe Im just too honest. How sure are you that the Briggs guys on here wouldnt have paid a high price for it?