Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Can anyone identify the maker of this 8hp engine?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1309 times

Old 10-17-2001, 02:19:13 AM
Robert

Default Can anyone identify the maker of this 8hp engine?

Has an Eaton tag and looks similar to smaller Waterloos that Eaton's retailed in Canada, but not sure. Reportedly 8hp. a BIG engine, flywheels over 3 ft in diameter, about 6 inch bore. Also, what if anything is missing off the top of the hopper (home-made replacement or nothing there originally?). Looks like M&B ignition originally(?) Thanks for looking.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2001, 08:43:23 AM
Joe Morris

Default Re: Can anyone identify the maker of this 8hp engi

I don't know what it is. But the odd shape of the governor weights and what appears to be a dry head And the counterweight between the spokes should help someone to identify it.
Old 10-17-2001, 11:36:22 AM
George

My dad has a 10 hp that looks just like that and it says American Boy on the tag, but it has a flyball govorner and the same style wet head and ignitor, the hopper top is removable and has a round hole in the center.
Old 10-17-2001, 12:17:30 PM
In Memory Of

I believe what this is , is one of the engines that were built in Waterloo IA. probably by The Waterloo Gas Engine Co. and sold by several different Mail Order companies. This picture is of a Chicago Faultless, but I have seen the same engine with Wonder, American Boy, Majestic, Sandow, Van Duzen, Ect. They will show up with several different hopper designs that change the look, but the basic engine remains the same.

Old 10-17-2001, 01:06:39 PM
Rob Charles

Not sure what name was on it when it the factory but i'd bet that the factory was in Waterloo Iowa
Old 10-17-2001, 03:50:44 PM
Chase

Your engine was made in Waterloo IA. I've seen this engine style with many different company names on it. The one that I have was made for Gray Bro in Cleveland Oh.
Old 10-18-2001, 02:36:25 PM
Denis Rouleau

I have a T.Eaton Co. engine built by Waterloo and it can be seen in the link below along with the dimentions for the different engine sizes. Tell me the exact bore and stroke and I'll tell you the horsepower; tell me the serial number stamped on the end of the crankshaft and I'll tell you the year your engine was built.

http://members.tripod.com/~buzzcoil/index-117.html